ASUS Maximus Extreme stability issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Maximus Extreme stability issue

I have an ASUS Maximus Extreme with an Intel Core 2 Extreme, and recently bought 8GB in two 4GB packs. The memory I purchased was the 2x2GB 1333 PC3-10600 Dual Channel. I have only 4GB installed currently as 2 of the 4 DIMMS were bad. Anyway, I have been noticing some stability issues since I installed the new memory. Issues like games freezing and crashing where they didn't before with the 2GB of 1066 memory. All of the settings in BIOS are set to AUTO. Should I manually chage the settings or what? I have no clue about over clocking so I am not sure what the proper settings should be. I will eventually be maxing this system out with 8GB.

All right, first I need to know the actual sets you have, am assuming they are matching sets, but in the spec you refer to Gskill has a few different sets of 2x2 NS, PK, HK, etc if you could give me the actual model number (will look something like this

F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK

If not sure, would even help if you could describe them i.e. the NS have no heatsink, the PKs have a Powder/light blue heatsink, the HK have a dark blue, etc Reason being they run different sets of timings in different models

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

They are matched sets, part number is F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK.

Comment

HKs, okay, you'll want your base timings set to 8-8-8-21, the CR or CMD or Command Rate set to 2T or 2N (don't remember if that mobo uses the 'T' or the 'N' indicator, thinking 'T' . Then you'll want the DRAM voltage to 1.5, the rest you can leave set at AUTO. Voltages should also be good at AUTO. Any further problems let us know and/or may want to run Memtest on each stick individually to make sure they are both good.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So I tried the settings you recommended. I couldn't find an option to change the DRAM voltages, so I set the CMD to 2T, and the clocks to 8-8-8-21. Still crashes. I downloaded mem test, and it found 5 errors in just the first 2.9% of testing. I will probably need to return the memory all together for replacements. But first I will test 1 stick at a time as I tested with both sticks in the first time.

Comment

See if you can find the DRAM voltage, if the mobo is misreading might add a pinch which would might clear up errors if it's running undervolted. Might also need to raise the NB voltage a tad (maybe .05 to .08) with the 4 sticks.

Tman

Comment

I checked all over in the BIOS and there is no option to chenge the DRAM voltage. I checked the system monitors and it was showing hte DRAM voltage at 1.66V. I am beginning to think I should just upgrade to a different mobo and cpu. Unless I just got the wrong type of memory...hmm

Comment

Let me see if I can pull down a manual for the mobo, I'll be back this afternoon.

Tman

Comment

Set AI Overclock Tuner to Manual. In the voltage section (scroll down), look for DRAM Voltage. There is definitely a place to set DRAM Voltage.

If you still have issues, try the F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK model instead.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

What is the difference between the 10600HK and the 10666HK? the timings? I tired setting the timings to 8-8-8-21, CMD to 2T, DRAM voltage to 1.5V and it came up with a overclock failed message.

Comment

No, timings are the same, but the chip configuration is different. So if you have a possible compatibility issue, you should try the other one. Do you have the latest BIOS? Did you test one at a time to see if one may be bad causing the problem?

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ahh ok. Yes I have the latest bios, and did test them one at a time. I found 2 bad DIMMS and RMA'd them back to newegg. Then I memtested the remaining 2, 1 at a time and found errors popping up. So I will check newegg, and see what the price difference is between the 2 models and get the 10666 ones if the price would be close to the same. Thanks for all the help so far

Comment

Keep us updated

Tman

Comment

Well after I had to return both of the 4GB sets to newegg, I finally got fresh sets and its working great. Same model of DIMMS no adjustments needed in BIOS. All is right with the world.

Comment

Glad to hear it, Enjoy and have fun!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X