Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help with memory upgrading

Hello.

I have the -G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH-

I want to add some more memory to my system (i5, hd4870, intel dp55wb, win8 64bit) and I do not find this kind of memory in stores.
    my question is what other kind of memory from the same series I can use?

For example, will -G.SKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL9D-8​GBRL 8GB 2x4 DDR3 1600 - be good?

And what the different between -F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH and F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL?

Thanks.

First, anytime you mix sets, even of the same exact model, it can be problematic. With that having been said, if you wish to try, your best bet would be the same model if possible, if those can't be found you'd want a set as close spec wise as what you have, i.e. something at 1600/CL7 like the Ripjaws X set F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM. Failing that look for a 1600 set at CL8 and try running both at 8-8-8-24 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks!
      maybe you have some specific model that you can suggest me?

Comment

If looking for an 8GB set, I'd try F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM...and sorry the diff between the two sets you mentioned - Both are 1600 but yours is 2x2GB (4gb set) at CL7 while the other you mentioned is 2x4GB (8GB) at CL9

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

How about G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231303

Thanks

Comment

That might be a good choice, although with your original choice or with what I suggested you's have an 8GB set that should get you to 12GB total or at worse leaves you with 8GB. With this latest set you mention, you'd still be looking at possible problems (since you are mixing sets) and if it works ending up with 8GB total, where as going with your original choice or my suggested 1 you have the same 8GB with no problem in trying to get them to play nice

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              That might be a good choice, although with your original choice or with what I suggested you's have an 8GB set that should get you to 12GB total or at worse leaves you with 8GB. With this latest set you mention, you'd still be looking at possible problems (since you are mixing sets) and if it works ending up with 8GB total, where as going with your original choice or my suggested 1 you have the same 8GB with no problem in trying to get them to play nice
              Tradesman..
              Just to be sure, when you said "your original choice" you mean G.SKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL9D-8​GBRL 8GB 2x4 DDR3 1600?

and one last qustion
              you are sure that with what you offering me (F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM) there will be no problems at all?
              Although i noticed that there is difference in the timing (7-8-8-24) and voltage (1.6V)...
              with my offering there is also a difference in the Cas Latency (9).
              Last edited by micool; 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Yes - because you'd be trying two 1600 sets and your pick is a CL9 set ( F3-12800CL9D-8​GBRL) while the set I suggested is CL7 as is your 2x2 set.

Further I SAID that mixing ANY two sets can be problematic - they will have to be set up manually and may not play together at all, but to try and get two sets to play together it best to try with two like sets - both 1699 and both CL7 opposed to both 1600 and one at CL7 and the other (higher density) at CL9.

Where I suggested anything as 'easier' would be you'd be able to run the 2x4GB CL7 set on it's own by itself and have the CL7 performance with a total of 8GB

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X