Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G.SKILL Trident 6GB DDR3 2000MHZ kit does not run to specs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL Trident 6GB DDR3 2000MHZ kit does not run to specs.

I have always read so so many reviews on benchmark sites and also newegg reviews about how great G.skill is and how they always seem to work to spec... After a few years of building PC's I have generally used other manufacturers. This set of ram was priced very well for the speed that it is listed at but unfortunately it doesn't pass prime95/memtest with XMP on at all. I even tried the manual settings and it did not work. The only time it seemed to work well is when I downclocked it all the way down to 1600mhz and 8-8-8-24 1T timings which is definitely not what I purchased... Here is my complete PC setup.... i listed everything just in case you needed the info...

Intel i7 920 (stock) 133x 20.0 = 2.6ghz
    Prolimatech megahalems hsf (2x yate loon high speed fans)
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2 (Latest Bios installed)
    BFG GTX 295
    Western digital 1TB Black
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Corsair 850tx 850 watt psu
    (this ram....)

I tried the XMP for the RAM settings that were close to 2004mhz or something I can't remember off the top of my head and it did not run well at all. All of my voltages are at stock (1.2v cpu vcore, and the Ram was 1.65v as stated.) QPI was at 1.5v as stated default in bios. I know my Motherboard/CPU is good because I have thoroughly tested them before with my other set of ram which ran perfectly... I kind of regret switching now but I hope that someone can help me here...

I have also noticed another poster on Newegg reviews that had the same issue that i have of not running to spec and did not want to rate the product down even further if there is some type of solution to this...

I really hope that I do not have to RMA because I already lost money selling my Corsair Dominators 1866 6gbw/ fan assembly set for this... I really wanted to test out DDR3 2000mhz, especially from G.skill which I always wanted to try out... I feel that it isn't fair if products fail/DOA or doesn't work the way its suppose to then I have to pay extra to send it back for one that does?! Also the downtime really is not convenient especially when I work & game off this PC alot. I had already suffered downtime of 3 weeks for my motherboard and should have stuck with everything I had since it worked smooth with the Dominators... the price, speed, and name of G.skill drew me in....

I apologize for the extra long post but I tried to be clear as possible... I hope that someone may assist me in a timely fashion because I purchased these on 5/14 and they are almost out of the Neweggs 30 day range for RMA....

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Big J; 06-09-2009, 05:52 AM.

If you wanted more clarification...

F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD - Retail (Bought from Newegg)

Cpu: Intel core i7 920 - d0 w/5 stepping running @ stock only

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - Bios version= 0406 BIOS (There is one new 0504 but it does not state any real improvements so I did not update it to that

OS = Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

I trashed my G.Skill and got Corsair. I will never get G.Skill again.

I retract this statement!
      Last edited by Vector; 10-27-2009, 05:56 AM. Reason: Grew a brain:

Comment

What do you have your tRFC at? For the speed and density think you'll wnt around 70

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the replies... I was reading through some of the posts in the RMA section and didnt feel too good about the people posting they sent their forms in 3-4 times and such. I already had alot of downtime in building this PC and now this will the last part for me. No more upgrading swapping and such... too much of a chance for bad parts lately for me. I actually didn't have much time left on my 30-day RMA time period with retailer so I opted to RMA for a new set from Newegg considering I know their RMA system...

I will try out some of those settings that people have achieved in the Xtremesystems forums from that link posted here... hopefully I will have better luck this time around. I will be getting my new set on Friday. I sold my $250 Corsair 9-9-9-24 1866mhz w/ fan assembly for only $160 on ebay (auction) after reading reviews/forums and such... I thought for sure it would be a win win upgrade with all the rave about this set and being Elpida BBSE chips and all...

Comment

There has been a slight delay with our RMA processing due to changes in personnel, but please bare with us while we get things back to speed. We are doing our best to handle each customer's case properly in a timely manner.

Big J, people have had great success with this set, so we would like for it to work perfectly for you as well. After reading this post, the one thing I think that might be restricting you is your CPU. It runs 1066, so you will need to relax FSB to RAM or unlink the two. Also, increasing the core and QPI may help in the stabilization of your system, so that is something you may want to try out when you test your new set. Please keep us posted on your progress.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank you G.Skill for the support. I will update you with my progress on Friday when I receive my replacement set. I am well aware of the success that people have had, for it is one of the reasons I bought this set. Also it is priced very competitively which is nice for a change. I hope that I can have it running at least to specs as for I do not need anything more than that... (The people on that forum have some really crazy timings and speed with this set but I don't think I need to go that far.)

My CPU and Motherboard both have been tested thoroughly already with my previous set of ram and they passed 9hrs of prime95, intel burntest, and memtest86v2.01. I highly doubt those parts had gone bad. I definitely have enough airflow and power. I just hope that I can just plug it in, set it to XMP and run it as it's suppose to. Doesn't always turn out that way but I hope it does with the new set. Either way I'll be back to update...

Comment

Might try the 0504 BIOS, it may well 'fix' any minor glitches from your 0406, which had a number of changes affecting CPU/RAM and no doubt probably had some bugs (a quick followup update of a BIOS generally indicates the previous one had a bug or two, though they seldom tell you, they'll say the update is for something else).
                And again will probably have to raise tRFC.
                Also, keep in mind that 2000 RAM is rated by ASUS as OC, which means a couple things, primarily the board/BIOS combo isn't tweaked to the point where they consider it to be a speed you can run the system at 24/7 or extreme long periods of time, without possibly causing damage. So you'll want to keep an eye on the heat when you get it running at 2000.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Big J, do you have an update? I have been back here several times, to check-out any follow-up you may have posted. I have experienced similar problems with my Trident ram that you were having.

Comment

Im also have trouble running at specs. BSOD all the time even when bumping up the VVT volts to 1.55

Comment

P6T Sticky settings will definitely work, post a thread if you are having issues so we can troubleshoot and see where the issue is.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I got my copy today, but motherboard arrives next week.

I can post if I get it running or not. Will be sure thing I boycott this brand products if I get day 1 problems with my computer.

However I did a lot of research and many tests etc stated that these memories are really high quality products and they got a lot of good reviews.

Anyways, I will post here once I will get my system running.

Comment

Working...
                        X