THE Wiper thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE Wiper thread

Hi think it's important to have all the information in one thread instead of spanning it over millions of different thread.

So, how the fu... should i wipe my drive using wiper and what are the consequence (loosing data??) (gain -> speed).

the gkill post say * If you want to execute wiper.exe, you need to only install Falcon SSD in your machine. Then there has to be OS installed in Falcon SSD to run wiper.exe. Or the Falcon SSD has to be the first disk in your machine. Here is the example of disk configuration of Disk 0:

Does this mean, if my SDD is the disk 0 then i can leave all my other drive plugged in???
    Does this mean, i can't run wiper from a live vista pe bootcd like Active@ BootDisk??

Should i use HDD Erase before the wipe??

Should I flash the new firmware before or after wiping the drive. (if I flash the firmware, i will restore the image of my OS after the flashing and wipe after, or wipe before and afterwards OS image backup + firmware flash + OS image restore

And Gskill you should hire better programmers hehe, the need to open the case, plug unplug everytime you wipe or have the SDD as first disk is kinda funny. Could you explain us at least why the need, why can we just say wiper.exe disk 1

Wiper will work IF:
    You are NOT using raid
    You ARE using AHCI

The SSD does NOT need to be the primary (or only) drive.

Wiper should NOT harm any data. All it does is physically erase all the empty sectors. (It uses the TRIM command manually, this app is not needed in windows 7 as windows 7 trims on it's own.)

It works in 64bit.

Comment

Where to check or set AHCI??

Comment

so if i have windows xp and i'm set in native IDE mode wiper will not work???

What if i put AHCI mode in the bios and boot with a winpe vista live cd like Active@ boot disk??? will i be able to use wiper on my drive without loosing any data??

Comment

Anybody can confirm this???

I'm on XP and it's impossible to change my drive mode to AHCI in xp
          Also on am2+ board it's not recommended for stability issues and BOSD

Comment

Originally posted by djsinae View Post
            so if i have windows xp and i'm set in native IDE mode wiper will not work???

What if i put AHCI mode in the bios and boot with a winpe vista live cd like Active@ boot disk??? will i be able to use wiper on my drive without loosing any data??

This should work

Also, you can use AHCI with winxp, but you need to have the driver loaded (but you can't load the driver very easily when AHCI is off, so it's a pain to switch.)

Comment

Wiper Hosed Windows 7 RC1 x64

I realize that Windows 7 RC1 x64 has the trim capability, but was not sure if it was working. I decided to run the Wiper.exe on my Falcon 64GB on a Lenovo T61p. Bad Bad idea!
              Warning!!! Do not run this in Windows 7 x64!
              I hosed my OS, when I rebooted I got blue screens of death!

Also make note any crippled SATA II controllers that are downgraded by manufacturer like Lenovo to SATA I, the bandwith is too small for this drive. You will get slight lockups on occasion for a few seconds.

Anyway I thought this might improve my hiccups from the SATA I downgrade issue, no luck! I hosed the OS completely.

DO NOT RUN wiper.exe on Windows 7 RC1 x64!!!!

Good luck guys, not sure if the new firmware helps in this area at all?

Comment

The wiper.exe crashed all my data too -.-
                And of course id hadn't made a backup at that point, but yesterday i did all the "fixing" again und then I made a backup.

There was no Bootmanager or OS found on the SSD after executing wiper.exe - after using it i got a message which asked me to run CHKSDK - I ran it and then I restarted my PC - Game Over xD

So i think microking4u is right, do not use wiper.exe on W7 RC x64

Comment

TRIM is fully enabled in Win7 RC1 so as well as there not being a reason to run Wiper because of the problems above, it is not needed.

All you need to do is format the drive during the install (aligns it properly) and then when the install is complete run the performance check tool in W7. If the drive gets a 6.0 or above then it has been correctly configured as a SSD and the OS will handle TRIM + SSD optimisations.

Comment

Originally posted by attempt2 View Post
                    All you need to do is format the drive during the install (aligns it properly) and then when the install is complete run the performance check tool in W7. If the drive gets a 6.0 or above then it has been correctly configured as a SSD and the OS will handle TRIM + SSD optimisations.
                    With WIN 7 RC 64 What is the value for the best aligns ??

diskpart
                    list disk
                    select disk 0
                    list partition
                    create partition primary align = ??? (this value)
                    list partition
                    active

Comment

The wiper is a "beta", correct? If so, then a final version that works 100% of the time and safely will eventually be released, right?

Comment

TRIM is fully enabled in Win7 RC1 so as well as there not being a reason to run Wiper because of the problems above, it is not needed..
                        I thought that the W7 Trim command is not compatible to the Falcon (or Vertex,...) now - just a new Firmware (maybe the next after 1570?) will fix this...

Who is right ?

Comment

TRIM is fully enabled in Win7 RC1 so as well as there not being a reason to run Wiper because of the problems above, it is not needed.

This seems to be actually wrong as latest firmware do not include native trimming code in it.
                          As Vista, Windows 7 will align correctly the SSD during the installation process, there is no need to do a special alignment if your installing and formating your ssd on Vista/7

One more time, actually firmware 1570 do not support native ATA Trim command. Windows 7 have it, but the SSD need a new firmware to enable the native communication with the Os.

Comment

Originally posted by Spine View Post
                            This seems to be actually wrong as latest firmware do not include native trimming code in it.
                            As Vista, Windows 7 will align correctly the SSD during the installation process, there is no need to do a special alignment if your installing and formating your ssd on Vista/7

One more time, actually firmware 1570 do not support native ATA Trim command. Windows 7 have it, but the SSD need a new firmware to enable the native communication with the Os.
                            So how does wiper work? Does it use a proprietary command?

Comment

hi guys,

i run windows 7 rc 64 bit. primary hdd score is 7,3! wiper.exe worked well for me and ive not upgraded the firmware yet. i am really satisfied with 128 gb falcon ssd

chris
                              Lian Li PC-A7110 Black
                              Maximus II Formula // E8400@3,84 GHz // 8 GB XMS2 // GTX 260
                              128 GB Falcon // 2x400 GB RAID0
                              Windows 7 RC 64 Bit

SSD Tweaks:
                              no Prefetch, no Superfetch, no Pagefile, no Indexing, write caching enabled, no auto defrag, no boot optimize, no timestamps
                              NO GUI BOOT(!) -> get rid of waiting for the animation to finish (win7)

Comment

Working...
                              X