• Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte P55M-UD4 with F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD Problem

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55M-UD4
    Processor: i7-860
    RAM: 4GB F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD
    Graphics: XFX ATI Radeon HD4870
    PS: Rosewill RG630-2

Okay so here's the problem. When I have the ram in slots 1 and 3 (Dual Channel configuration) the bios sees both sticks of RAM in their correct slots, but it only lets me use one of them, in other words half the total RAM. Inside the bios, on the M.I.T. Current Status page, in the "DIMM Slot (MB)"row, it lists 2048 in both slots 1 and 3. In the "Enabled Slot (MB)" row, it lists 2048 under slot 2 only (and there is NO RAM in slot 2). In that same row for slots 1 and 3 it has "-". The under "Total Memory Size (MB)" it says 2048.

If I put either stick in slot 1 or 3 alone, it sees the stick and allows me to use its full capacity. If I put both sticks in the same channel, it sees both sticks and allows me to use the full 4 GB of capacity. So both sticks work, it just won't let me use both of them in dual channel. I have tried running the RAM way underclocked (1333) and up to rated speed, with different timings, and even voltages. All configs that will actually POST, it only lets me use half the RAM.

I had read other people having this problem with RAM that wasn't on Gigabyte's QVL for this board, so I made sure I purchased RAM that was on the QVL. Additionally, for many people who couldn't get another brand of RAM to work, they were able to specifically get the G.Skill Trident Series to work.

Any ideas on this problem? Should I just get a new set and hope that works? Hope there is a BIOS update to address this issue? I've also posted this to the Gigabyte to see what they say. Still awaiting response there.

Thanks,
    Nathan

What BIOS are you running? They have a Beta out, can be found here:

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/...3168#anchor_os

Also do you have the timings input manually and the voltage at 1.65, Believe default on mobo is 1.5.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I am running the latest full version of the bios. I have downloaded the beta bios but have not installed it yet because it mentioned nothing about memory in the release notes and I wanted to see what people here and on the Gigabyte tech support said. Additionally, I only have linux on the system at the moment, and was hoping to avoid installing indows just so i could flash the bios.

The default is 1.5V, but the XMP memory profile sets it to 1.65V, which I have tried. I have also various manual timings recomended on here for other boards using the P55 chipset with the voltage set to both 1.64V and 1.66V (1.65V is not an option in the manual voltage setting menu). I've also experimented with the QPI/Vtt voltage between 1.1 and 1.2V.

Comment

Couple things, you don't need Windows to flash the BIOS (actually it's safer to go direct, instructions and BIOS available at GBs site, check here:

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products...ProductID=3168

but first, you might try booting w/ your sticks in slots 2,4 and see what happens, GB has had problems with a number of their mobos seeming to mix up 1,3 and 2,4 as the primary slots. Let me know if either of the above helps, will be in and out most of day....and GSkill Tech may drop in....he/she tends to do that on Sundays

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

With the old BIOS, the system gives the no RAM present beep code and will not post when the RAM is in slots 2 and 4.

Flashing the BIOS changed one thing that I noticed, when the RAM is in slots 1 and 3, it still detects both slots are occupied, but now it says the stick in slot 3 is enabled while the stick in slot one is not. Previously, it was display that slot 2 was enabled eventhough there was no RAM in it.

With the flashed bios, the system will still not post with the RAM in slots 2 and 4. Same beep code for no RAM and everything. Additionally, it appears the system will now only post if there RAM in slot 3. Trying 1, 2, and 4, individually all failed to post. With the original BIOS, I was able to get it to post with RAM in slot 1 only.

Thanks,
          Nathan

Comment

Sounds like a bad mobo, only other thing off hand I can think of to try off hand is to try reseating the CPU, graphics card etc and making sure all the drive connections and other connections are secure, unless you are only encountering th eproblems with a specific stick of RAM....could try compressed air to blow out the RAM slots and rubbing alcohol to clean the sticks connectors

Tman

Comment

Should definitely post with one stick in slot 1. It is understandable that 2 and 4 won't post since 1 and 3 are the initial slots, but slot 1 by itself should definitely have no issues.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
              X