Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS M4A78T-E and F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD: how to get 1600mhz??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS M4A78T-E and F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD: how to get 1600mhz??

hi!

I recently bought this combo:

Asus m4a78t-e
    phenom II 720be
    2x2gb ddr3 1600 gskill (F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD) (CL 8-8-8-21, I think, not sure)
    ati 4890

the Bios shows like this:

AI Tweaker

DRAM controller configuration

DRAM Timing/Driving configuration

I dont have a clue how to Overclock my computer. im a totally n00b!

QUESTION: Currently, the RAM is running at 1333 at auto settings. What do I have to change to get it to run at 1600?

You'll have to enter the base timings of 8-8-8-21 manually, you'll want command rate at 2T, RAM voltage at 1.65. Try this and let me know how it goes and if needed we can make further adjustments.

Also with your CPU, you might find this of interest:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1745

, not quite Monty Python, but a TopDog in search of the Holy Grail
    Last edited by Tradesman; 09-22-2009, 05:47 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

hmmmmmmmm EXACTLY which lines do I have to change when enter: 8 8 8 21 ?????
      thanks!

Comment

CAS, tRCD, tRP all to 8, tRAS to 21

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I set up those values in the Bios, but nothing changed! :S
          ...still running at 1333mhz.

(voltage only 1.64 or 1.66... not 1.65 in my bios!!)

do I have to change anything else??

this is my actual configuration when turning overclock "enabled" in my Bios.

CPU ratio: auto
          CPU bus frequency: 200
          PCIE frequency: 100
          DRAM frequency: auto
          DDR3 memory profyle: disabled
          CPU/NB frequency: auto

CPU voltage: auto
          CPU/NB voltage: auto
          CPU vdda voltage: auto
          DRAMvoltage: 1.64
          HT voltage: auto
          NB voltage: auto
          NB voltage: auto
          SB voltage: auto

(also the 8-8-8-21 and 2T in other section of the bios...)

Comment

hey buddy...overclocking the 720 is made REALLY easy...if you want i go show you how....it comes running at 2.8 mhz...im clocked at 3.2 mhz....which is almost a 15% increase. Not to shabby...I can go much higher...but i wanted a modest overclock to run 24/7 and be safe...i can show you how to bump it to 3.0 without even raising the voltage...which is where i suggest you start. I know many running at 3.6... The main question i have for you is....are you using a stock cpu cooler? If you are you shouldnt go to far...(( not past 3.2 ))first thing to do is download ( ( hwmonitor )) google it...it is free software....it will show all your tempertures. Dont worry about the forth core for now...it has nothing to do with overclocking the other 3 cores. I have to go to work...if you like we can hook up later...i can show you how to have a safe...modest overclock....the 720be is a fun chip.

Comment

ohh..before i go to work...also...google.... passmark performance test....download 32bit or 64bit..( which ever windows version your using ) again its free but for 30 days...you dont have to buy it...run test....write down your score....you can track you performance increase after overclock....also the beauty of this test is...after you run your test...theres a ( compare ) button...push it...theres a box to see how your system compares to a stock 720be running at 2.8....you will even see that it tells you the % of how much of a increase in preformance you have...its not a stress test...its a preformance test...its a great way to check your overclock.
              Pat

Comment

please topdog... send me all the details step by step in a private message (im using stock cpu cooler!!)............ meanwhile I download all the software you said... and wait for a MOD to help me with my memos!

Comment

ok...the things im asking you to download are for monitoring your system...were going to get everything ready BEFORE we overclock. And Before others jump in here...were not going to have him touch the prime95 stress test yet....one thing at a time...each thing i will ask you to use is user friendly...there are many different testing software programs out there...but i will pick the ones that are easy to use...and work well...i should of told to to create a folder to your desk top....do so now...another thing i want you to download...for now is cpu-z...google it...its free....it will tell you many things about your system...this is what i want you to look for...first download it ...and unzip it to the same folder on your desk top...then click on cpuz.exe...the cpu tab will come up...at the top it will have our amd 720be...look down at the left hand side...you will see core speed...it will read just over 2800...mine was something like 28123.....next under that is where the magic is....core multiplier...the 720be will say...x14.0...thats what is unlucked in your 720be...to get your 720 to 3.0...you need to raise that to ....x15.0...the reason were starting here is...its a small overclock...your first...and going to 3.0....we dont need to change voltage....we will talk about that later...you cant change it here...it has to be done in bios...im just getting you to know where your at and what to look for....i will wait for your responce...and we will go to the next step...let me know when you have done this...and read what i asked in the cpu-z screen

Comment

ok good...now for some things you should know about the amd 720be.... I called amd.
                    the default volts are 1.32 for our cpu....max SAFE volts are 1.42...were going to leave
                    that alone for now...but i wanted you to know that. Each board and chip is slightly
                    different...under cpu-z you will see its not exactly 1.32...mine was 1.318...for overclockers
                    we always worry about the same thing...HEAT...HEAT...HEAT...thats why were always looking
                    at aftermarket coolers. You are running a stock cooler...so we have to be careful.
                    pull up the hwmonitor i had you download earlyer...there are 4 temps we will talk
                    about
                    tmpin0
                    tmpin1
                    tmpin2
                    tmpin 0 and 1 are the cpu socket temp..( not the cpu core temp ) and the motherboard temp
                    IGNORE TMPIN2 !!! it is a sensor not hooked up...it will read high!! Ive read a guys
                    tmpin 2 temp was 200c...thats like the temp of the sun !...If that was true..your computer is on fire....you have bigger problems then a over clock...flames are leaping from your case. Remember were talking about celsius not fahrenheit temps...
                    mine reads 80c...ignore it. sensor clitch..
                    The temp i want you to read to me...is further down the page...core temp...you will see
                    core 0....core 1....core 2...they should be the same...or close..tell me what it is...
                    Last edited by topdogs1963; 09-28-2009, 07:06 AM. Reason: wrong numbers

Comment

ok..... enough of the 720BE overclock!!!! please tell me the details in PRIVATE!!!!
                      please topdog.... thanks in advance, but in private please.

here we are talking about my memos and how to get them to 1600mhz!!!!! any MOD who can help??
                      thanks!

Comment

the reason im was writing it here was so i dont have to repeat myself, if someone else needs the same thing...its a lot of writing for me. this way others can read and also get help...if it were in private...others cant...my bad brother...take care

Comment

You'll need to change the DRAM frequency to manual and set the speed to 1600, forgot that sorry,

Tman

Comment

i can finally set the memos to 1600... now, whats the best soft to test the estabilty of this new settings??
                            thanks

Comment

Could use prime 95, windows memory diagnostics, memtest, SiSandra, etc

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X