RAID question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID question

I have a RAID 0 setup on my computer, 2 128 GB drives. I have used 98 GB but when I look in My Computer and select the drive it says I still have 139 GB free. It shows a total of both drives. In a RAID 0 setup why does it show the total of both drives. Intel matrix storage manager says the same thing.
    Desktop PC
    eVGA x58 SLI Classified
    i7 950
    12GB Corsair DDR3 1666
    2 G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD RAID0
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    3 MSI N285GTX OC Superpipe in TRI-SLI
    LG Blu-Ray Burner

Notebook
    Sager NP9280
    i7 965
    6GB Mushkin DDR3 1333
    2 Corsair Extreme 128GB SSD RAID0
    500GB Velociraptor
    nVidia GTX 280M

This is because you don't get to have all 256 GB. For example, I have a 64 GB Falcon, and Windows says it's a 59.5 GB drive. Or take my 150 GB VelociRaptor for example: Windows says it's a 139 GB drive.

So by doing the math, I can see that Windows is treating both 128 GB SSDs as 118.5 GB drives (or 119).

Comment

I know a 128GB drive does not give you 128GB of space. Since it is in RAID 0 i should have a total of 128GB of avaliable space, not 128 times 2. But it shows I have a total size of 238, it should only be around 120 or so.
      Desktop PC
      eVGA x58 SLI Classified
      i7 950
      12GB Corsair DDR3 1666
      2 G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD RAID0
      1TB Seagate Barracuda
      3 MSI N285GTX OC Superpipe in TRI-SLI
      LG Blu-Ray Burner

Notebook
      Sager NP9280
      i7 965
      6GB Mushkin DDR3 1333
      2 Corsair Extreme 128GB SSD RAID0
      500GB Velociraptor
      nVidia GTX 280M

Comment

RAID 0, combines both drives to appear as 1 drive and spreads the info between them,roughly half on one the rest on the otherr, this is the fastest raid setup, also the diciest, if one drive goes south, your data is kaput, so keep good backups. You are probably thinking of RAID 1 or other, where the same data is striped (duplicated) to each drive, but the RAID reads and writes to each which can increase speed also, it would appear as a little less than 128.

For basic background you can look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

I can provide a more detailed page if you like

The actual drive sizes (in your case 128) is the size of the drive before formatting, when formatting you lose a little of the space as the drive itself reserves some room for formatting info it maintains as well as depending on the block/stripe size used, you may also lose some there...there more to it, but that's a basic explanation.

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

btw, what about trim comand in rai0 ? possible?

Comment

At present No, but MS is working on it (or last I heard, will drop a line to some people I know at MS and see, if I can get an update, would prob be Tues, PM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X