Setting my RAM voltage, timings, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting my RAM voltage, timings, etc.

Since my technical expertise isn't at a higher enough level that I'm comfortable with messing around with my RAM settings in the BIOS, I request some assistance in setting the voltage and timings for my RAM.

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955
    Motherboard - GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Bios Revision F5)
    RAM - 2 sticks of F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ (4GB total)

Currently, the RAM is running at 1333 at auto settings. What do I have to change to get it to run at 1600?

Thanks.
    Last edited by CrimsonIdol8; 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM. Reason: Added additional information.

Smart decision. Many people just dive into it, then set ALL settings incorrectly even ones that have nothing to do with memory then they wonder why it doesn't work. Or their hardware becomes damaged.

Enter you BIOS and enter these settings and your computer should be running smoothly.

In MIT,

Set Memory Clock - x8 for 1600MHz
    System Voltage Control - Manual
    DDR3 Voltage Control - 1.60V

Then enter DRAM Configuration

DCTs Mode - Unganged
    DDR3 Timing Items - Manual
    CAS Latency - 9
    RAS to CAS - 9
    Row Precharge - 9
    Minimum RAS Active Time - 24
    1T/2T Command Timing - 2T
    TwTr Command Delay - 5T
    Trfc 0 for DIMM1 - 160
    Trfc 2 for DIMM2 - 110
    Trfc 1 for DIMM3 - 160
    Trfc 3 for DIMM4 - 110
    Write Recovery Time - 10
    Precharge Time - 3T
    Row Cycle Time - 28T
    RAS to RAS Delay - 4T

Save and exit.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks, mate. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        System Voltage Control - Manual
        DDR3 Voltage Control - 1.60V

Precharge Time - 3T
        I encountered problems with these two changes. Concerning the manually setting of the voltage, I was unable to specify 1.60V, so I just left this auto. This didn't turn out to be a problem though, as a quick check of the PC Health Status menu showed the voltage automatically setting itself to 1.60V. Concerning the Precharge Time, I can only change this down to 4T as 3T doesn't even appear as an option.

Will this cause problems?

Comment

4T is no problem. As far as voltage, you should try to set it. Although it is currently showing 1.60V, at any given time it could be 1.8V so it is always better to manually set it.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I took your warning under advisement and had another go at manually setting the voltage. Thankfully, I succeeded. It turns out that it was just a brain fart keeping me from doing it the last time, haha. Anyway, everything seems to be stable and working well, so I thank you for your help.

Cheers.

Comment

Update;

I am having some problems with system stability now. It turns out that when I place my CPU under full load (video encoding) with my RAM running at 1600, I often get BSOD with a STOP error. The BSOD lists no file as the culprit and for some bloody reason Windows wasn't memory dumping (even though it's configured properly) so I couldn't debug. Therefore, I've had to do some troubleshooting of my own.

After doing a bit of research, I discovered a lot of STOP errors are to do with RAM, so I decided to set my RAM to auto clock (1333), voltage and timings. It's been over a week since I've done this and I've had no BSODs during the same operations as before. Thus, I'm confused, my motherboard supports 1600MHz RAM and I believe my CPU does, what reason does it have for not working?

I would like some help and am happy to provide whatever information is required to troubleshoot.

Comment

Under full load you may actually be overloading the MC a bit. With the GB mobo, 1600 RAM is considered an OC RAM, so you may want to apply a slight OC to the CPU and raise the CPU voltage a hair, should help stabilize the Memory controller -> RAM under higher loads

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I was actually going to give my 955 a slight overclock to 3.4Ghz and up the voltage to 1.40V once I installed my new CPU HSF (which I'll be ordering this week). I don't want to really do that now, 'cause I don't trust my HSF since it's been making unsettling rattling noises. Though, I will give that a try when ableand see how it goes when I can.

However, I would still like to attempt other remedies to fix it now with my current configuration, 'cause underclocking sucks, lol.
                  Last edited by CrimsonIdol8; 09-28-2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

What you might try would be to up the voltage on the DRAM to 1.62, it's a safe amount over and may be just the little extra that the RAM needs to remain stable at that speed

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response, but times have been busy.

Thanks for your reply, Tradesman. Unfortunately, after a bit of fiddling around in my BIOS, I have found that I can only increase the voltage in increments of .05 and as a result, I can only put it up to 1.65, 1.70, 1.75, etc, etc.

Is upping to 1.65 ok for this RAM?
                      Last edited by CrimsonIdol8; 10-06-2009, 06:26 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

Try increasing the HT Voltage slightly to 1.4V to stabilize the Hyper Transport. You can try raising the memory voltage to 1.65V to see if that will help as well.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, there is no parameter in the BIOS to increase the Hyper Transport bus voltage, so I'm left with upping the voltage on the RAM to 1.65V. I've performed this change, but since the BSODs only occur under full CPU load (and even then, seem to be random), it might be a little while before I can report back on stability. That said, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks again.

Comment

I think the extra juice to the RAM, 1.65, will pull it, but if not can raise the tRFC some for stabilization at peak load and/or increase CPU voltage a tad.
                            Last edited by Tradesman; 10-07-2009, 09:33 PM.

Tman

Comment

CrimsonIdol8, Try updating your bios to F6, This will help to stableize your motherboard.
                              Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                              AMD Phnome 2x4 955 Black 3.6GHz (O.C)
                              G.Skill 16Gig (4x4Gig)DDR3 1333 Dual ch.F3-10666CL7Q RIPJAWS-X
                              XFX HD4870 1GB 256Bit DDR5
                              CORSAIR 850tx 850Watt Power Supply
                              Cooler Master HAF932 ATX Case
                              Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
                              Samsung DVD Burner Sata W/DL/lightscribe
                              Pioneer DVD burner USB W/DL/Lightscribe
                              2-WD 250 Gig HD
                              1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD
                              Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Comment

Working...
                              X