Comp freezes, w/ 6xF3-12800 CL9T- 6GBNQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp freezes, w/ 6xF3-12800 CL9T- 6GBNQ

Hello, same as diesel1 down below, I am having multiple issues with trying to get this memory stable in my system. I have almost the exact specs as him but I will list them below. I need some help with manually adjusting the timings, as I am new at doing this and have no idea of what Im really doing.

System Specs:

Model of the motherboard: Evga x58 (EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail)

Video Card: EVGA GTX 295

Model of the memory: 6 Gskill F3-12800 CL9T- 6GBNQ DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 2gbx3

Model of the CPU: Intel core I7 920 (Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail )

Operating System(OS): Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit edition

I am unable to run most things without having some type of error, or lockup anywhere from 5 minutes, to 2 hours. Randomly the computer just freezes. The only way to get the computer working is to do a hard reset. I can provide any current template or settings you require to troubleshoot this issue.

I also want to say Thank You ahead of time for your help & assistance, as I am completely blown away by how unstable my machine is. Supposedly close to the best that money can buy, this thing barely works at all and it gives me more frustration than ever before. If fixed, I dont know what I'd do. Probably not add anything or touch it for fear of it breaking again =)

Could you post screen shots of your BIOS settings?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Erm, I would love to give that info - give me a few moments to collect it with my good ol digital camera =)

tyvm for the quick reply!

Comment

I'll be back in about 3 hours if no else jumps in to help, have to run to a job site

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK finally got the images edited, and ready for your viewing. *whew* haha.

Link:

http://img195.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=cpu1r.jpg

8 total images, let me know if those are the ones you were looking for!!

Comment

http://img11.imageshack.us/i/timings1.jpg/

Set memory timings, they are way off on AUTO. tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24 the rest look fine. Memory voltage only needs 1.65V so you'll want to tune that down.
            Let us know the results.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Might try command rate at 2T if above doesn't work, think 1T is to tight for 12GB (if I'm reading your RAM setup right, (you have two sets, 6 sticks total)), if right you will prob also want to kick up the vCore some also, first thoughts anyway, will continue looking in a bit, have to finish up a build.
              Last edited by Tradesman; 09-14-2009, 05:08 PM.

Tman

Comment

Ok Gskill tech thank you guys for replying, computer problems are very annoying and I appreciate your time. I have discovered my vid card has gone bad (gtx 295) but I have an 8800gtx in right now working flawlessly, THANK GOD because I dont know what I'd do without my rig, which is quite sad haha.

I have 6gb RAM total. The kit I got was 3x 2gb sticks. Let me try to change those timings to exactly what you mentioned and we'll see what happens =) - check back in a jiffy (now that my vid card problem has been diagnosed)

Comment

Can't be real old, what brand 295 you running (were running)? Just shows it always pays to hang on to some of the stuff you've upgraded...or to keep a few spare parts around (as long as there are TO many, (I have to clean stuff out every couple months or so)

Tman

Comment

Hehe, TOO TRUE Tradesman, back about 2-3 months ago I was going to sell my old computer with the 8800 gtx in it because I thought the new system was, and would always smoke it. Apparently, that is not the case. Haha. *sigh*

The system seems to be running stable, I have quite a few other interesting things in my Event Viewer but I think the memory issue has been resolved, stability is all I want right now, dont even want to try and overclock this thing lol.

The gtx was evga, like the motherboard. EVGA w/backplate. One thing I noticed was that the screws on the backplate were all installed at an angle, not straight down for some reason.. kind of wondering if that was the whole problem all along. Ever since I got it it went downhill and finally the card wont even allow the boot/bios to come up.

All I wanted to achieve was settings for everything else to rule out the possiblity of the problem being elsewhere, and you guys have helped me do that with the memory. I really, REALLY appreciate your help.

If you have any advice as to how I can get vista working a tad more smoothly on my machine, feel free to kick me some advice haha.

Thanks again,
                    doran

Comment

With your 295 - you ensure the backplate is indeed snug...and also try cleaning the connections at the bottom with rubbing alcohol and a foam brush or lint free cloth (people will tell you a cotton ball or q-tip but those often leave cotton fibers on the gold connectors you'll regret. Also, if you have compressed air, try blowing out the slot and the PCI power connectors - if you have additional PCI connectors from your PSU, might also try those, may have had a bad connectiion or cable which would result in the card degrading - (Note: EVGA is pretty good w/ RMAs or maybe could RMA through your (e) retailer.

Upward and onward - Vista hey.... 32 or 64 bit? And what type problems you having?

Tman

Comment

Thanks again for the speedy reply =)

The backplate was snug, the screws were not exactly straight into the board but I dont think that should matter too much, maybe/maybe not. I cleaned all the connections to the 295, blew out the fan area and used a different rail on the power supply, all to no avail. Same problem. I got the card from newegg so EVGA was quick to setup an RMA for me, I will be shipping the card out tomorrow (hopefully). Luckily I had my spare system w/ this 8800gtx in it =)

Vista 64bit Home Premium.

O so many errors, Ive done so much research in the past few days trying to find out why they are there (in my Event Viewer)

Counting them, I have had over 30,000 errors/reports in one weeks time. I think that the 295 was a big part of that problem, because usually I would have a few 100 every hour or so, now they mostly have gone away. Except for a few, Wow, checking & refreshing the event viewer, I have had 0 errors in the past hour!!! Thats a first in a long time!! That memory fix just might have helped me haha awesome!

Here are some errors Ive been seeing:
                        "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected." - this one literally up until 7:30pm my time was happening every 5-10 minutes on my system, ever since I installed the 8800, no similar errors.

Then there is these:
                        "The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
                        The dependency service or group failed to start."

"The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:

"The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

"The IP Helper service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

"The SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:

All of them on Event ID 7001

All of these errors seem to have gone away for the most part.. so hopefully it was just the video card causing most of the issues (hard resets, unable to boot, multiple reboots etc...)

Comment

Could well be, on the X58 the PCI bus, when stuttering tends to cause hiccups to the CPU/MC set and that can throw things all over everywhere. That's one of the main reasons you see (will see) continued (and frequent) BIOS updates, will also want to keep up with the mobos driver updates and the chipset makers continue to finetune the sets.

This is the main reason I've held off building a personal Socket 1366, you'll be seeing the same thing going on with the latest 1156 socket boards for the newest i5 and i7's.

I'm looking to put a 1366 together prob Oct, maybe Nov. The boxes I've got now are plenty fast, but I'll be starting a project for a local defense contractor that will be pretty good, but it won't go into place till thefed gov passes their 2010 budget and gets the dollars in place, so the contractor starts getting the bucks (better they end up paying than it come out of pocket)

Tman

Comment

Yah I thought for a long time that I made a mistake building this computer because it was such a headache in the beginning. If I were to do it again I would say wait until after the new year, or march maybe to build one of these rigs, yah its fast but for the dollar you are getting more problems than you bargained for.

I do appreciate your response (everyone here), its frustrating when something does not work and tech support goes A LONG WAY in the customer satisfaction category. I will let you guys know if I have any further issues, but from my last post Ive had 0 errors and everything seems really, quite stable. Its beautiful!

Comment

Glad to hear hear it, the GSkill folks are pretty good and Genetix and I try and help out whenever we have some free time, as do others...The boards are getting pretty good here and having more and more returnees that enjoy getting help as well as just shooting the s***, Have gotten into some interesting conversations

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X