G.SKILLL App does not survive computer sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILLL App does not survive computer sleep

Recently got the KM780 RGB keyboard, fantastic hardware, software is not the most intuitive but usable.

Everything seems to be working fine, except one minor issue: the keyboard app does not survive a computer sleep. When the computer wakes up from a sleep, the app is shutdown and gone from the task list. Consequence? if a macro is to launch an windows application then it will not work anymore. My workaround is to use a 3rd party application AutoHotKey. And program each macro key to emit a special sequence of keys (e.g., WIN+ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+letter), then define a hot key in AutoHotKey to intercept that key sequence and perform whatever action. Not the most convenient way but it works, and I actually feel this may be a better way as AutoHotKey is quite powerful compared to G.SKILL built-in macro key definition tool.

I am running the latest software. The issue happens on two system: desktop (ASRock Extreme7+, Windows Server 2012 R2) and laptop (Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Windows 10 Pro).

Would you mind letting us know which chipset is the ASRock Extreme7+ motherboard? And when you have set the system to sleep, was it set to require a relogin upon wake?

We'll let our software team know about your feedback and see if we can identify the cause and fix it.

Comment

It's Z170 chipset. It does require a login upon wake up.
      I think this is the similar issue as another post:
      http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=13900

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
      Would you mind letting us know which chipset is the ASRock Extreme7+ motherboard? And when you have set the system to sleep, was it set to require a relogin upon wake?

We'll let our software team know about your feedback and see if we can identify the cause and fix it.

Comment

At the moment, if Windows logs out (which occurs before going to sleep) or enters lock state, the software quits on its own, since Windows requests the keyboard connection back to the OS. We're still checking with the software team to figure out if there's any way to make it so that the software wouldn't have to quit when Windows logs out or enters lock state, but because this involves control on a device control level, it might be more complicated than it sounds.

So you would have to reopen the software (at least, as of now) whenever you re-enter the OS from sleep or lock or log-out.

Comment

After reading this thread I came up with a workaround that seems to get the job done for me. I did this on Windows 10, but it should work all the way back to Windows 7.

Open Task Scheduler and create a New Task (not a basic Task)
          Give it a name and description, then hit the Triggers tab.
          Click the New button and add two triggers. Just change the start condition then hit OK for both.
          Begin the task: At log on
          Begin the task: On workstation unlock

Go to the Actions tab and hit the new button. Action should default to Start a program, so click Browse and locate the "App.exe" in your keyboards software folder. Then hit OK.
          Mine was "C:\Program Files (x86)\G.SKILL\G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 MX\App.exe" which includes the double quotes.

Head to the Conditions tab and uncheck everything.
          Head to the Settings tab and uncheck everything except "Allow task to be run on demand", then click OK.

This should create a task that will run the software when you log in or unlock your computer.

Comment

Thank you Melikoth for the workaround. We were just about to post the same thing.

Mind if we create a sticky of your instructions in a new thread (with a credit to you and this original post)?

Comment

Sure, that's fine with me. Hopefully it can help out a few others.

I can also report it's been working well as a solution for the last couple of days.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X