Asus Z77, memory problems w/ 3770k & GSkill DDR3 1866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Z77, memory problems w/ 3770k & GSkill DDR3 1866

Hi guys I'm absolutely clueless about overclocking, and I'm not really trying to overclock however. I wanted to put together a solid gaming rig...

My mother board is the Asus Z77, with 32GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) for Memory, and Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz as the CPU.

The BIOS is only clocking the memory at 1333, instead of 1866...I tried reading some answers on different forums about this and it told me to enable X.M.P. mode in the BIOS and the machine fails to post.

Can anyone help with this issue? Thank you for your time!

Do you have the latest BIOS, if not go ahead and update. If you do have the latest BIOS, then you'll want to install the sticks in the recommended slots, enable XMP and select the 1866 profile 1, and should be good to go

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

valencia34-

FWIW, some BIOS will only run RAM at the default frequency of 1333 MHz. when all DIMM slots are occupied. This may or may not be your issue, but it's something you could ask Asus Tech Support. Normally Asus mobos will allow OC'ing of the RAM with all DIMM sockets occupied but perhaps your system won't run the RAM @ 1866 MHz? If you have the latest BIOS you could try manually setting the RAM frequency to 1600 MHz. and see if that boots. If that works then you could try other adjustments to get 1866 MHz. to work.

32 GB. of RAM is a lot of load for the IMC to run especially with the 1866 MHz. RAM frequency being substantially above the officially supported 1333/1600 MHz. that Intel supports. While some Intel CPUs will run 32 GB. of RAM @ 1866 MHz. not all of them will. You may need to up the RAM voltage and/or other BIOS voltages to get it to all work. Hopefully you are able to sort it out.

Comment

I suppose that's possible, but I haven't encountered any 1155 mobos that limit one to 1333 in the 1155/Z77 class ever. Maybe you're thinking of the low end H61. In the Z77 class, even their lowest rated (DRAM wise) is rated to 32GB of 1866 and that's the Sabertooth (which by the way can run 32GB/2133).

If the latest BIOS is off, that's when you move towards looking at voltage/timing adjustments.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for the advice guys...

I did update the bios from 1206 to the 1805.

I'll try both suggestions, setting XMP and the 1866 profile, 1 which when I did it with the old bios it caused the system not to post. But maybe with the new bios it will work.

For the second option when setting the bios to 1600 first do I set it to Auto Mode/Manual Mode, or XMP mode? Will I have to adjust anything else other than the DRAM Frequency?

Thank you guys for your advice again.

Comment

Recommended Slots?

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
            Do you have the latest BIOS, if not go ahead and update. If you do have the latest BIOS, then you'll want to install the sticks in the recommended slots, enable XMP and select the 1866 profile 1, and should be good to go
            I have 4 sticks of 8GB 1866 Ram, and they are all the same. And there are only 4 slots, what did you mean by recommended slots? Sorry for my ignorance.

Comment

My fault, missed the 32GB, had a couple of posts up I was looking at.

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X