Screw stuck in Motherboard Standoff [HELP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw stuck in Motherboard Standoff [HELP]

I have spent countless of hours trying to get this darn screw out of this mobo. I got this computer in a trade and wanted to clean it all out and noticed one of the screws stuck in the standoff.
    I have never used a dremel before so I'm guessing that is my only other option. I have tried using needle nose pliers and regular pliers at the same time to extract but failed many times.

Here are a couple pictures I took so you can determine what I need to do:

Model of the motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.6) Bios ver. FD 2009/11/24
    Model of the memory: G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (4x2GB / 8GB total)
    Model of the CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Last edited by Jbrizzel; 04-19-2012, 03:34 PM.

Screw does not turn with pliers? You need some good gripping pliers to get a hold of each end and they should unscrew right out..

With all those scratches and marks, looks like you're not getting control.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Screw does not turn with pliers? You need some good gripping pliers to get a hold of each end and they should unscrew right out..

With all those scratches and marks, looks like you're not getting control.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Yeah, the screw would not turn at all. So I get a better set of gripping pliers and try to twist out with a regular screw driver?

Comment

The screw looks stripped in the picture, so you may need to use something else like locking pliers to get proper grip.

You can use a dremel too.. but just be very careful.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

You have a little room to work, can also some electric tape and tape the mobo on the back around the screw and try with a Hacksaw (preferably a mini 6" one or very slowly with a biggerone using a fine metal blade, this can happen fairly often when folks use a screw that's not threaded to the standoff, have also had look with a 1/16 drill bit drilling down into the screw head, and then holding the screw head w/ pliers or vise grips and the standoff with a second pair, a little pressure and the screw will break off.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

As usual, thanks for the quick and helpful tips and info. I will post back on results when it's resolved.

Comment

We'll be waiting

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

^^ I know you will... You and Tech are on here 24/7 it seems!

Comment

Me, off and on whenever I'm awake, normally always have a couple systems running, and often take a laptop when in the field, or working on-site somewhere, if working on a system and run a Virus/malware/diagnostics test, I'll often pop in here or some other forums, or get some research and/or shopping in. I do repairs and upgrades in the evenings, to save people some money - I charge less than if I have to go to a site, most people like that (plus I hate sitting and charging folks while the computer does it's thing, like a half hour or more to run a virus check)..........and could you imagine charging by the hour while Memtest runs on 8 GB, I'd be a millionaire. Gskill tech is in the States and pretty much M-F, though have seen him later and on occasion on weekends, GSkill is in China so their day is my night.

Tman

Comment

millionaire indeed

Comment

Wishful thinking.....and hopefully most of the folks I work for would be smart enough not to pay for me to sit for hours on end while their computer ran though memtest

Tman

Comment

UPDATE:

I used Channellock 420's along with a P2 Screwdriver Bit and it came right out with little to no force! Thanks for all the replies and support!

Thanks again, Jbrizzel

Comment

Be glad it's a memory company and a few of us can still remember some of these annoying problems

Tman

Comment

You need to go to a machine shop where you can purchase the correct size die that fits into the mangled srewhead. After that it serves as the new screwhead to unscrew the original via the now imbedded die. Once the screw is removed, I recommend using another screwhole die to rebore the threads and thereafter be more careful. This concept is the same used on automobile engines and other mechanical devices when a bolt or screw is stripped in the location. It works very easily and well, but you have to get the right tools to match the job. Had that been the case originally, the screwhead would not have been mangled.
                            Good luck anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X