G.skil 256gb completely failed G.skil 256gb completely failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.skil 256gb completely failed G.skil 256gb completely failed

I have a 256gb g.skill titan drive that completely failed on me 2 days before a huge presentation. it completely went dead. osx crash hard and computer wouldn't boot up. complete loss of data.

the whole point of ssd is data security and integrity against some kind of impact. my laptop was never dropped. the drive never saw the light of day after it was installed. I was just working in my hotel and BAM the drive went dead.

I barely recovered from business presentation using some ad hoc slides to get by. so after returning home I send the drive back and they refused service - I was a couple days past the warranty.

needless to say I will never buy anything form g.skill again. Not just for their sucky products but also that they don't stand behind whatever they sell - which is arguably more important than the product itself.

Not a happy camper.

When did this happen? I ask because I believe they quit selling these about two and a half years ago, and the warranty on them was years. Then you waited months to complain? Problems may have come from overuse, if you were storing things like a slide show on the drive, then would guess all the temp files and everything else were be written written to the drive also and that is something that is/was a negative, especially on the earlier SSDs, people were strongly urged to limit the writes to the drive, I'd say two years in a laptop is pretty good for an older SSD like that....and is there a reason the presantation wasn't backed up to Cd/DVD a flash drive - something, especially if it was 'important'.

Comment

Originally posted by Intelguy View Post
      When did this happen? I ask because I believe they quit selling these about two and a half years ago, and the warranty on them was years. Then you waited months to complain? Problems may have come from overuse, if you were storing things like a slide show on the drive, then would guess all the temp files and everything else were be written written to the drive also and that is something that is/was a negative, especially on the earlier SSDs, people were strongly urged to limit the writes to the drive, I'd say two years in a laptop is pretty good for an older SSD like that....and is there a reason the presantation wasn't backed up to Cd/DVD a flash drive - something, especially if it was 'important'.
      It was normal use - I've never had a spinning drive fail out of the blue within two years.

the whole idea is that ssd's are more reliable in that there is no moving parts. Yes the OS was installed on the drive and sure there must be some temp files - but the drive should be cycling through various parts of memory so no one part is overused. Also maybe some drive errors shoudl have showed up instead of complete failure.

my presentation? well it was work in progress. I worked on it on the plane and the days leading up to it. who would store that on dvd?

regardless I've lost faith in ssd's in general and am disappointed in gskill's response.

Comment

You might try putting it in a desktop as a secondary drive and see it that system picks it up, if nothing else could get your data off of it. If it reads it, you could update the firmware if needed, wipe the disk, reinstall the OS and go from there. Many SSDs that appear to fail have come from a corrupt operating system or driver. A Virus or malware may also be at fault. Regardless, may want to consider carrying a flash drive or two so you can always have a backup handy of important files, I do that even with my desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by RamJam View Post
          You might try putting it in a desktop as a secondary drive and see it that system picks it up, if nothing else could get your data off of it. If it reads it, you could update the firmware if needed, wipe the disk, reinstall the OS and go from there. Many SSDs that appear to fail have come from a corrupt operating system or driver. A Virus or malware may also be at fault. Regardless, may want to consider carrying a flash drive or two so you can always have a backup handy of important files, I do that even with my desktops.
          Tried that already - no response whatsoever on the bios level - which tells me it may be that the hardware sata drivers is what failed NOT the memory chips

Comment

I always save school and business documents directly on dropbox, automagic backup.
            it's also a good idea to use a premium credit card that gives you 1 more year.

The same thing happened to me with an OCZ drive, but I didn't have anything important on it.

Comment

Working...
            X