JM Loader 001 ATA Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JM Loader 001 ATA Device

Okay, so I've been using my original G.Skill 64GB SSD (not Falcon, nor Phoenix) for 3 years now, ever since I bought it from Newegg as a Christmas present in December of 2008.

For the past month, I've been using it via the Mini-USB connector on the back, as a back-up drive for some important files, since I didn't have an external HDD.

It was working up until an hour ago when I re-start my computer and find that the 64GB SDD is now a 4GB device called "JM Loader 001 ATA Device" which cannot be formatted.

I tried the drive via USB and SATA on two other PCs, with similar results, one time seeing it as a 1.92GB device with the same name.

So, I have been made aware that the drive.. died. The reason for which I cannot account for.
    It was just sitting there, in the usual spot, like every other day.

What I am asking is - is there any way to recover it? I have heard that a firmware update might work, but I see only firmware updates for the Falcon and Phoenix SSDs... I somehow feel as if I have been left out to dry.

I've been an extremely loyal G.Skill consumer since 4 years ago. I own practically only G.Skill RAM in my 9 PCs. But I find the website's support leaves a lot to be desired.

So, this is kind of my last resort.

Any input will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Track

G.SKILL will providing all the firmware that we receive from SSD controller company, as long as they update the firmware, we will release it to our customer as well. however, the old version of SSD that you having now should be out of warranty and it's not recoverable anymore. we are really sorry about that older than Falcon series were all discontinued and we might not be able to fix! please kindly show us about the model/serial number and we will know if this model can be able to recover or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
      Hi Track

G.SKILL will providing all the firmware that we receive from SSD controller company, as long as they update the firmware, we will release it to our customer as well. however, the old version of SSD that you having now should be out of warranty and it's not recoverable anymore. we are really sorry about that older than Falcon series were all discontinued and we might not be able to fix! please kindly show us about the model/serial number and we will know if this model can be able to recover or not.
      Model: FM-25S2S-64GB

There are 3 serial numbers on the back. Not sure which one you're referring to.

My thinking that the firmware has been corrupted. In which case, I will just need to download the same firmware. Can you give that to me?

Comment

the old version of your SSD is different with Falcon or Phoenix, it not be able to upgrade by end user, sorry for that but we can't helping you in this way!

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
          the old version of your SSD is different with Falcon or Phoenix, it not be able to upgrade by end user, sorry for that but we can't helping you in this way!
          So, you basically have a product that you never even thought of trying to create a way to fix.

I'm sorry, I've bought G.Skill products for as long as I've built computers, but this lack of care for the enthusiast community, who buys most of the original high-end products that no one else does.. really upsets me.

Comment

we are really sorry, the old version of SSD much be repair and fix by manufactured, the only way is sending back for RMA, not just like Falcon/phoenix can update the firmware by yourself, and the old version of SSD was two years warranty, we would like to helping you, i will contact our RMA department to see if they can replace/repair for you(out of warranty), also, please email our RMA department: rma@gskill.com
            but i am not sure if they can do it or not, however, i will try my best to help!!
            again, really sorry for the inconvenient!

Comment

we are really sorry, the old version of SSD much be repair and fix by manufactured, the only way is sending back for RMA, not just like Falcon/phoenix can update the firmware by yourself, and the old version of SSD was two years warranty, we would like to helping you, i will contact our RMA department to see if they can replace/repair for you(out of warranty), also, please email our RMA department: rma@gskill.com
              but i am not sure if they can do it or not, however, i will try my best to help!!
              again, really sorry for the inconvenient!
              Actually that isn't true. All Jmicron SSD controllers have the ability to update and service firmware via USB/SATA.

I'm suspecting that this SSD has the JMF602 which in that case needs the firmware updated.

I have fixed 4 of my drives this way but by different manufacture.

As working in the IT industry, we all know how companies buy bulk and slapp their label on the product and call it thier own.. but when it comes time to do firmware updates, its up to the Labeler to keep thier end of the bargain and continue support of the product.

All in all we are forced to use a different manufacture "Labelers" Firmware update to fix one that is lacking support.

Of course all the SSD's have warrenty void labels, when you void the warrenty and open them up, you see part numbers on thier pcb's and parts from other manufactures.....

Just like the pontiac vibe, Pop the hood and it has toyota parts on a brand new car.... Since when does toyota make american car parts. Since our economy went down hill...

Anyway back on track.. the device is fixable and i have done it. I just want the manufactures to chime in. I want to see what they have to say before i start telling people how to fix these.

Comment

As i know, we don't have any firmware update for the older version of SSD, once the controller company release any new updates, we will publish immediately as well, if you have other way and willing to share with us, it will be very welcome to share your experience with everybody!

Comment

I would like to release the fix, but supporting those drives still under warrenty or not under warrenty, flashing this firmware will deffinitly VOID a warrenty, also you have to apply the same fix to all drives in your raid array for it to work correctly as this firmware also increases capacity.

And as is, if flashed the Gskill name will no longer be in existance on that drive other then the sticker you put on it.

So basically the people want support on thier drives.... I have solved an issue and increased capacity (in my case)

I need your company to contact me via my registered email to colaborate to correctly support your product.

I think it would be the best of interest in the company and consumer that thier warrenty is intact, and your name stays with its products.

Comment

Working...
                  X