120 GB Phoenix Pro - Otto Results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 GB Phoenix Pro - Otto Results?

I have had a 120 GB Phoenix Pro SSD for many months. I had it in a system with an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB and a 2600K processor running at 4.5GHz. I check the speed using Otto on this system after doing the Parted Magic trick to restore it's performance. The drive was not set up as the boot drive. I have since moved it to a system with an old ASUS P5BDeluxe MB running an E5800 Processor at 3.2 GHz. The drive is set up to be the Boot Drive on this system. I used Acronis to copy/clone the boot partition from a 500GB hard drive. The partition is aligned properly per Paragon's PAT Tool. The results from running Otto were a little disappointing. As an example the 0.5 Read/Write results went from 16726/20505 to 11491/7749 and the 8192 results went from 273355/280790 to 261632/252052. Does the MB/Processor effect the Otto results or do I need to do the Parted Magic trick yet again and then restore the partition instead of cloning it using Acronis
    2010?

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect the BIOS was in IDE mode when I ran the benchmark. After I went in and changed the BIOS to AHCI mode the system would not boot - it hung in the BIOS during AHCI identification process. Either I have a screwed up SSD drive or the OLD P5BDeluxe BIOS (1238) does not like SSD drives in AHCI mode?!
    Last edited by Ken429; 11-15-2011, 08:40 AM. Reason: New information.

make sure your AHCI is enable : http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-7-vista.html

Comment

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect the BIOS was in IDE mode when I ran the benchmark. After I went in and changed the BIOS to AHCI mode the system would not boot - it hung in the BIOS during AHCI identification process. Either I have a screwed up SSD drive or the OLD P5BDeluxe BIOS (1238) does not like SSD drives in AHCI mode?!
      Thanks for the non-answer! Maybe I wasn't real clear but I have AHCI enabled in W7 on the P5BDeluxe system.

I put the SSD back in a "modern" system and it runs at rated speed so I'm positive I had it in IDE mode on the P5BDeluxe system when I ran the benchmark. So... since the P5BDeluxe system does not seem to support the SSD in AHCI mode and yet it is still 2 or 3 times faster in IDE mode than a good hard drive in any mode is there a down side if I let it run in IDE mode and call it a day?
      Last edited by Ken429; 11-16-2011, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Hi ken

sorry that i didn't answer very clear, the old version of motherboard will lower the speed because it doesn't support AHCI function. however, using IDE mode still faster then Hard disk drive, also running IDE will not cause any bad affect anything!

Comment

The SSD causes two different systems to hang in the BIOS when the AHCI routine is checking the disk drives. It is not the "old" P5BDeluxe MB that is the problem since I have the same issue on a GA-EP45-UD3P MB. The SSD was once the boot drive on the Gigabyte system - now it hangs the BIOS. So...I called Tech Support and they said the ususal - RMA it. I will do that but does anybody have a suggestion on what I can do to get this thing working in AHCI mode short of the RMA. The SSD is recognized and handled routinely by the Asus P8Z68-V Pro/2600K system. That's the good news but I have a SATA III SSD as the boot drive on that system.

Comment

please try to secure and erase the SSD and update to latest 4.2 firmware and try again, if still hang in BIOS, the only solution is RMA.
            because we tried both P45/P58 deluxe in AHCI mode without problem, it may hanged because hardware incompatible, if so, we will replace another one and make sure it could workng with
            those two boards.

Comment

I fought my way through the CD versions of Parted Magic and SSDUpdate on the P8Z68-V Pro (the only MB/BIOS that would even recognize the SSD in ACHI mode) and like "magic" the SSD is now OK on all the systems. The SSD now has FW Version 4.2, it had 4.0. I don't know if FW 4.2 has something in it that makes the drive more compatible with older systems but it seems to be OK at this point.

Comment

Spoke too soon. As soon as I copy W7 to the SSD it is not recognized by the GA-EP45-UD3P BIOS. I can look at the drive via a USB BlackX device but as soon as it gets connected to a SATA Port the BIOS hangs on that port. I give up. I am doing the same things I have done in the past that worked. Something is broke - Need an RMA - I submitted the form yesterday but have not had a response from GSkill.
                Last edited by Ken429; 11-20-2011, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I gave in and did another Parted Magic and did a fresh install of Windows 7. All is well so it looks like the Windows 7 version of Acronis TI 2010 Build 7160 is doing something that the older BIOS versions don't like. I suspect that the CD Boot version of TI 2010 Build 7046 works since that is what I have alway used in the past. GSkill is off the hook I do not have to RMA the SSD although I never did get an RMA #.

Comment

Working...
                  X