BIOS Not recognizing SSD when running in AHCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS Not recognizing SSD when running in AHCI

I was installing Windows today, and when my system started rebooting, my phoenix pro 120GB drive stopped appearing in the bios during system boot. The intel controller during boot says it has found a drive of the six possible, but it never gets past this step, preventing me from doing anything on my computer - I cannot even access the BIOS because it will not allow me to enter the BIOS until after drive detection.

If I unplug the drive, and then reset my system, I am able to access the BIOS, etc. After accessing the BIOS, I am able to set the SATA mode to IDE. Once I do this, the drive is detected without issue, and *seems* to operate alright, but all the instructions from GSkill indicate I need to run in AHCI mode when using an SSD. Also, my system was detecting the drive fine using AHCI until today.

When I plug my drive into another system via external SATA/enclosure, the drive is detected and allows me to add/remove files, but as soon as I try to boot with it, the systems are freezing. I have also updated my drives firmware as well as my systems BIOS hoping it might resolve the issue. I also tried different ports on my motherboard, new cables, and different power connectors, all to no avail.

Has my drive failed and do I need to RMA it, or is there some other action I can take to salvage my drive? I really don't want to RMA it and be without my system drive for several weeks.

Thanks for any help.

system info

Sorry, here is my system information in case it helps:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    8 Gigabytes of DDR2

Comment

not sure you have the AHCI driver or not, because you can using the SSD with IDE mode. the first time you set up the BIOS with AHCI when installed windows? if not, the windows may not have the driver as well. please make sure about this part!

Comment

Yes, when I installed windows I had the Bios set to AHCI. The problem started when rebooting after installing windows. The Boot sequence stops at AHCI device detection, not OS loading. I cannot even access my BIOS settings when the SSD is attached to the system because the BIOS edit screen will not appear until after HDD/SSD detection. If I unplug the SSD, I am able to access my BIOS set the mode to IDE, then windows or the BIOS screen will load.

I cannot access either when I have the SSD attached to the system, and set in the motherboard as AHCI. The POST screen appears and states, detecting devices, 1 found, and then it stops and never completes the post. I cannot attempt to reinstall windows with the motherboard set to AHCI because I can't progress past drive detection with the SSD attached and powered up.

If I unplug the drive, proceed to the BIOS settings, set the drive as IDE, I can load windows, the bios, etc, but un unable to take ANY actions if the motherboard is set to AHCI and the SSD is attached. I can boot, etc with AHCI and standard HDDs.

Have you ever heard of this problem, or is my SSD failing?

Thanks

Comment

we never heard this problem before, but please try to unplug everything instead of your SSD,
          to see if any of other device made this conflict, and find out by plug each device.
          please send it back for RMA or exchange with reseller if the problem still there.

Comment

Same thing

I'm having the exact same problem today specifically with AHCI mode in my BIOS. I'm using an Asus P5K Premium Motherboard, latest BIOS and all was working for a long time until today when I rebooted. I've unplugged all other drives, reset CMOS and tried and tried again but no luck. I've now removed the drive completely and waiting for a while before plugging it back in to see if that helps. I'm on the latest 4.2 firmware which was working fine until today.

One thing I did do was change the partition of the SSD to "Active" in Disk Management and unmark a different drive as "active" I hope this hasn't affected the SSD? It wont even recognise in BIOS with AHCI but seems to show up in IDE.

What can I do about this?

Comment

please make sure that you install the firmware/windows with AHCI mode, also unplug everything instead of the SSD to see if you can boot up without problem.

Comment

Working...
              X