Help! I think my SSD has died...FM-25S2S-60GBP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I think my SSD has died...FM-25S2S-60GBP2

The SSD is a G.Skill Pheonix Pro 60GB - Firmware 3.1 (Purchased Nov 2010) which I was using as my Windows 7 drive since I got it. It was hooked up to a Phenom x6 1090T & Gigabyte 890FX-UD5 rev 2.1.

Everything was fine up till a few days ago when it was noted that Windows 7 would boot, get past the welcome screen then stop responding within 30 seconds of logging it. I thought it was virus, so reformatted the drive and started again. Everything seemed fine again and I filled up the drive with about 35Gb of data, no problems. Then yesterday again Win 7 started logging in, within about 30 seconds, stopped responding. Interestingly everytime I reset the comp after the crash, the BIOS would not detect the SSD. Once I switched it off then on again, it would be detected again!

So now I have booted from my WD mechanical drive with no problems at all. I am thinking my SSD is dying. When I ran crystaldisk it showed health to be 100% Good on the SSD. As a slave drive Win 7 will not format/install/detect the SSD for longer than 30 seconds.

Is there any way I can test the drive before I RMA it? I have tried updating it to the latest firmware but it doesn't remain detected by windows for long enough the update tool to even detect it!

I am going to try and hook it up to my other computer to update the firmware! Does anyone think that might make a difference?

Comment

please follow the steps as the link: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7171

Comment

I actually managed to update to 4.2 in windows 7 but now the same thing happens. Windows detects the drive on starting up, 2-3 minutes later it disappears!

Comment

Hi Type r,

did you totally clean the SSD(also with out any partition) and install the firmware, because some partition will cause this issue, you may need to clean the SSD and follow the steps again.

Comment

So you think I should follow the instructions in DOS with diskpart and clean? Do I need to reinstall the firmware although I am already on 4.2?

EDIT - I booted up using the BOOT Gskill CD and deleted the disk, cleaned the drive and reapplied the firmware. Windows is till behaving exactly the same, i.e. a few minutes of recognising the SSD and then it disappears! Any more ideas?
            Last edited by Type_r; 10-14-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Hi Type r
              we are really sorry about this problem, because it's too many possible to cause freeze, if the SSD still freeze after totally erase it, we will replace another one for you.the hardware should be defective! please contact with our RMA department: rma@gskill.com
              you can copy this link and they will take care of your case.

Comment

Hi

Although I have requested an RMA, someone on another forum mentioned that the problem may be related to my SATA cable! So I have ordered a new one and will try it out at the end of the week. Hopefully this might resolve the problem!

Comment

yeah, also you can borrow the SATA cable from someone, to save the money! or you can give them your SATA cable and ask them test it for you.

Comment

Actually I have lots of spare SATA cables but I wanted to make absolutely sure that it was a cable problem. Therefore I have ordered a new SATA III cable to make sure that is not the issue.

Comment

I tried the new cable, same issue. Then I tried the SSD on another computer and the same issue occurred. So now I shall be RMA'ing the drive!

Comment

The drive should arrive with Gskill USA today, hopefully they can tell me what was wrong with it, as its the first time a drive has failed in this fashion for me!

Comment

hi,

please tell me the RMA number, otherwise the RMA department will not inform you about the problem because they will replace another one for you.

Comment

ER212003

Returned to your US hq.

Comment

Any news on the status of my RMA guys?

Comment

Working...
                              X