Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important observation on firmware updates and TRIM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important observation on firmware updates and TRIM!

I just ran a WEI and my primary hard drive score went from the typical 7.7 down to 7.3! I'm not one to care too much about synthetic benchmarks, but given the loose scoring of WEI a score discrepancy of 4 points is a considerable drop, so by instinct I went to see if TRIM was actually working. If you recall there's a tread on here about how to activate TRIM in windows 7 (Enabling TRIM in Windows 7 with a Phoenix/Phoenix Pro SSD: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7056). I went into regedit and realized, for the first time, that every time I update the firmware for my drive, it simply adds the new records, and doesn't do much with the old ones - including that the registry change we manually implement for TRIM doesn't automatically carry over to the new driver version.

So, be sure to manually go into your registry and add the DSMDataSizeCapInBlocks line after updating the firmware!

Question: is there a safe way to delete the old driver entries? Are they needed? Will a simply click and delete works given that it's in the registry?...
    Last edited by omnimodis78; 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.8Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 2.1)
    Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX560 @ default factory OC (830/1660/4008)
    8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz
    Corsair 650TX psu
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD (firmware 4.2)& 5.5TB combined HDD
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Samsung P2770 via DVI
    Case air cooled
    BIOS and drivers always up-to-date

Well, just a follow up with the driver uninstallation question I had, I took care of it by following this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-new-hardware/

The guide is very easy to follow, and it worked! And also my score is back to 7.7!
    AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.8Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 2.1)
    Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX560 @ default factory OC (830/1660/4008)
    8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz
    Corsair 650TX psu
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD (firmware 4.2)& 5.5TB combined HDD
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Samsung P2770 via DVI
    Case air cooled
    BIOS and drivers always up-to-date

Comment

Working...
    X