Help Pagefile setup for better performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Pagefile setup for better performance

Hi guys could you help me setup my pagefile i have C: G.Skill Phoenix Pro 60g for OS & D: 640g HDD as storage. My Ram is G.Skill Sniper 8g so how much pagefile should i put? my current pagefile is set as:
    Initial size: 8096
    Maximum size: 8096
    both in D:
    any better recommended size would really help me alot xD

There's a lot of debate on this, some say keep up to 512MB on a data drive if you have 8GB DRAM, but I haven't used it on a client system except when I think they are heavy users (i.e. using very large data sets and heavy multitasking) if they have 6GB or more. So you are prob fine or could eliminate it altogether, unless you might have an older legacy app that has a requirement for one.
    Last edited by Tradesman; 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i set my pagefile to 1gb and left it on the non-ssd drive.

Comment

I have 8GB of RAM, and do not use a pagefile. I've had it this way for almost a year now without any issues.
        ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 | Intel i7 920XM | 8GB (2GBx4) PC3-10600 | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 | 1920x1080 LED | 120GB SSD G.Skill Phoenix Pro | 500GB HD | Intel 6200 Advanced-N | Windows 7 HP 64Bit

Comment

Thanks everyone xD

Comment

Hands down adjust the size, I have it set to custom size, with initial size at 256, and maximum size at 512. Never had issues, and I think it's sufficient for any scenario where paging file is needed - and YES....Microsoft is crystal clear that the pagefile should absolutely not be disabled regardless of how much ram you have, and 100% recommends you keep it on the SSD! I will trust the programmers who made the OS over those who think they know better...

I researched this topic to no end when I first got my SSD, and the educated consensus is that reducing the pagefile size is OK, disabling it is BAD and moving it off your SSD negates the benefits of having an SSD and a pagefile.

This is just one source, but it's a good one:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-855f66ae5a6d
            AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.8Ghz
            Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 2.1)
            Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX560 @ default factory OC (830/1660/4008)
            8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz
            Corsair 650TX psu
            Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
            G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD (firmware 4.2)& 5.5TB combined HDD
            Windows 7 Pro x64
            Samsung P2770 via DVI
            Case air cooled
            BIOS and drivers always up-to-date

Comment

oh xD Im moving it to ramdisk, RAM is faster than SSD
              Thanks for the info.

Comment