No announcement yet.

Post your GSkill drive benchmark result here please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, Just found i'd finally been activated on the forums. Received my Falcon 64GB from Novatech (UK) a few days ago, Current running Win7 RTM and done a few test before I install Windows on it for real!... Currently running Firmware 1571

From left to right;
    4GB SuperTalent USB Stick (seeing as I had i handy, and thought it'd be an interesting reference point)
    1TB Samsung F1 SATA2 HDD
    64GB G.Skill Falcon IDE Mode in BIOS (1MB offset)
    64GB G.Skill Falcon Native SATA Mode in BIOS (1MB offset)

What this shows us observationally (did i just make that word up?) via benchmarking is this;

Positive USB Stick Observastions

My 4GB USB Stick by SuperTalent is far quicker at 4KB random reads than my samsung HDD. (This would be useful in such a situation is "ReadyBoost" (vista/Win7), or if you're lucky enough to be able to install from a USB stick... 10x quicker!)

Positive Samsung HDD Observations

The Sequential write speed of the Samsung is the quickest... Which is great, If you have no fragmentation, and your OS doesn't decide to fragment your files for you

ALL SSD Observations

Sequential file reading SSD is 2.1x quicker than Samsung F1
    Sequential file writing SSD is 90% of the speed of my Samsung F1
    512KB Random reads; SSD is 5x quicker than Samsung
    512KB Random writes; SSD is 1.19 (19% quicker) than Samsung
    256KB Random reads; SSD is 3.59x than Samsung
    256KB Random write; SSD is 1.19 (10% quicker) than Samsung
    4KB Random read; SSD is 3.59x faster than Samsung
    4KB Random write; SSD is 6x faster than Samsung

Just managed to put AHCI mode on with Windows7 (as well as vista would do this) Crash after changing to AHCI mode post installation of OS

By enabling ACHI mode in the BIOS, over IDE mode we have the following speed increases

SEQ read : 13 MB/sec
    SEQ Write : 3.1 MB/sec
    512k random read :8.9 MB/sec
    512k random writ: -0.15 MB/sec*
    4kb random read: 0.07MB/sec
    4kb randon writ: -0.21MB/sec

By enabling ACHI mode in the BIOS, over Native SATA mode we have the following speed increases

SEQ read: 6.1 MB/sec
    SEQ Write: 3.2 MB/sec
    512k random read: 5.8 MB/sec
    512k random writ: 3.1 MB/sec
    4kb random read: -0.35MB/sec
    4kb random writ: ~

AND FINALLY SSD (AHCI) Speeds vs Samsung HDD

SEQ read : 128.3MB/sec (2.16x)
    SEQ Write : -8.8 MB/sec (0.92x)
    512k random read: 130.66MB/sec (3.71x)
    512k random writ: 19.06MB/sec (1.24x)
    4kb random read: 23.04MB/sec (48.53x)
    4kb random writ: 6.03MB/sec (6.03x)

Other hardware:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP-DS4
    CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4GHz >> 3.61GHz
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 (running at DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-12 @ 1:1 FSB)
    Gfx: 1GB GeForce 8800GT
    Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120
    Case: Antec P182
    Audio: Terratec Phase 28 Producer (Soon to be: M-Audio Audiophile 192)
    PSU: Corsair 520Watt Modular
    Optical: Pioneer 215DBK SATA DVD/RW
    Last edited by Kludge; 07-15-2009, 02:53 PM. Reason: Tidying up, and removing redundant tags

Comment

Great post Kludge.
      cutting edge?
      Intel Core i7 950 + Asus P6T X58
      3*2GB G.Skill PI Series 1600MHz CL8
      256GB Corsair P256 SSD (Samsung controller + 128MB cache) [OS]
      :: Note my G.Skill Falcon was sold ::
      2*1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7,200rpm 32MB cache [Storage]
      2 x Asus EAH4890 in CrossFireX
      Dell UltraSharp 2707WFP 27" LCD A01 revision
      Asus Xonar Essence STX + Sennheiser HD650
      Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

Why thankyou!. Hope to try liven this forum up a bit, as it's alarmingly bleak, and had to venture over to OCZ forums myself, which is sad, considering.

Will be making a new post in a moment with additional tweaks that can be implemented, I'll be using them myself to relieve more I/O off the SSDs

Comment

Here mine, 4 falcon 128 in raid 0

For the moment, connecte on the mother board, when Adaptec publish aworking firmware with falcon, it goes on ^^

In RAID mode, SSD are butter for writing ^^
          i have made more test to see if it change, but it's always in the same data range.

firmware version : 1370
          Last edited by freelink; 07-22-2009, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kludge View Post
            Why thankyou!. Hope to try liven this forum up a bit, as it's alarmingly bleak, and had to venture over to OCZ forums myself, which is sad, considering.

Will be making a new post in a moment with additional tweaks that can be implemented, I'll be using them myself to relieve more I/O off the SSDs
            The fact that the Moderators here don't zap your post is proof enough of how cool and chilled they are... unlike the "other" forums where you cannot even mention G.Skill because they fear competition!

@freelink: Please update your firmware.
            cutting edge?

Comment

@razerza, Why?? did it improve perf? or my compatibility probleme with my adaptec raid card??

i think the update process erase every thing ??
              i have made a thread here: Falcon 128G Raid0 on Adaptec 5805 can you respond on it to help me??

Comment

Well it upped my single drive to 260MB/s max transfer rate, from about 230MB/s. It should improve your RAID 0 performance too.

Yes, it will unfortunately blitz your data and you will have to break your array to do each drive separately.

Your link is broken but I should find it.
                cutting edge?

Comment

ok, but is there a transfer rate limitation by the ich10R ??

Comment

Gskill FALCON 128GB

original firmware 1571 ^^

(On chipset P965!!!) :bounce:
                    GA-P965-DS4
                    SATA in IDE mode

Small test:

just vista sp2 installed :

vista sp2 installed and just driver intel motherboard:

vista sp2 all installed (antivirus, games, driver, software....)

All with no trim...
                    Last edited by funtonic; 07-23-2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Just a quick note about the firmware upgrade from 1370 to 1571 on my 128GB Falcon. The Windows 7 rating for that single SSD went from 7.1 to 7.2. For a firmware upgrade alone, that is significant! The SSD support here is excellent.

Comment

Hello people!!

I've just bought also one 64GB Falcon SSD and here are my results with that computer features:

Windows 7 x64 RTM 7600
                        Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz @ 3600 Mhx (9 x 400)
                        Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5
                        2x2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-3-15 @ 535 MHz) - G Skill F2-8000CL5-2GBPQ
                        ATI Radeon HD 3870 (RV670) - HIS IceQubeIII
                        Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic/Platinum Sound Card
                        Win7 on 64GB SSD (partitioned in 48GB and 16GB for Linux) and Documents and syspage.file (of 4GB) in a Velociraptor WDC WD3000GLFS

The C:\ unit is the SSD and the D:\ unit is the Velociraptor. As you can see I have only 192MB/s in sequencial read while Kludge for example has the 230Mbs (the strange thing is I have this 230 Mbs with the HDTune test).

The worst thing is the only 95Mb/s that I obtain in sequencial write. I think is far away from the 130Mb/s theorical GSkill mention in their specs.

I hope you could help me to obtain better results because I am a little dissapointed with the results.

If you need any extra information about my config or equipment specs, you have only to said. By the way, I have applied all the tweaks in the main page that are mentioned.

Thanks!

Comment

Do you know what mode your BIOS is in for the SSD? IDE/SATA/ACHI? As all of mine are quite different.
                          Definitely not an SATA1 jumper as it wouldn't have gone past the 150MB'ish mark.

I'll run HDTune PRO on my 2 disks in a moment, see what comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kludge View Post
                            Do you know what mode your BIOS is in for the SSD? IDE/SATA/ACHI? As all of mine are quite different.
                            Definitely not an SATA1 jumper as it wouldn't have gone past the 150MB'ish mark.

I'll run HDTune PRO on my 2 disks in a moment, see what comes up.
                            I installed SSD on SATA0 (MASTER) jumper Velociraptor in SATA1 (MASTER).

In BIOS I have:

- SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICHR9R Southbridge) = Disabled
                            - SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICHR9R Southbridge) = Disabled

I tried few days ago to put SATA RAID/AHCI Mode in AHCI mode but obviuosly my Win7 crash just after it initiated. I tried to change it and then boot DVDRom to install again Win7 but I couldn't It didn't find my DVDRom and didnt' start from DVD to initiate Win7 installation.

Any ideas?

Comment

From the above I can see you're running in the slowest mode possible (equivalent to IDE) Then next quickest mode would be SATA Native, and quickest (for SSDs by a bit) is this AHCI mode

After windows installation however if you just flip it over to AHCI mode, Win7 (or vista/xp) won't boot.

As far as memory serves me I can't even install it in AHCI mode either as i have a SATA Pioneer 215 drive and it's not seen in the BIOS

So... what that leaves you with is installing in IDE/SATA mode, and making a registry edit... I had to do this myself when I posted my benches. I can't remember which site I got the information from, but it was only a registry edit i'm sure of it, No weird Intel Matrix drivers, replacing files etc.

Some more benches;

From top to bottom; (HDTune Pro) Samsung F1 random read..... Falcon64 random read.... Samsung Bench.... Falcon64 bench
                              Last edited by Kludge; 07-28-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

( Had to post these seperately as 4 IMGs per post limitation )
                                Top; Samsung F1 64MB file I/O
                                Bottom; Falcon 64 64MB file I/O

Comment

Working...
                                X