Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with G.SKILL Sniper SSD in MacBook Pro(Mid 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with G.SKILL Sniper SSD in MacBook Pro(Mid 2010)

Hello all,

I'm having some problems getting the 60gb sniper SSD I just bought to run properly in OSX. I had originally installed the SSD in my MBP blank with plans of installing a clean copy of OSX. The drive wasn't recognized. I put the OEM drive back in, and cloned the HDD over to the SSD. Put the SSD drive back in the MBP and everything booted up fine and things were running perfectly and very quickly. I closed my mac and let it sleep over night. I opened it back up the next day, and OSX was basically stuck. I could move the mouse around, and click icons on the dock, but nothing would launch and OSX would not shut down. I forced a shutdown and tried to reboot. When it was booting back up, I got the white screen with a folder and a question mark. I read something about SSD drives randomly losing data, so I thought this was my case.

I put the OEM HDD back in, and booted up into OSX just fine. I plugged in the SSD into my USB enclosure, and it was detected just fine and appeared that all data was still there. I found instructions on here for installing g.skill SSD's on Macs. I had originally pretty much done the same thing, but this time I followed the instructions(http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6876) posted on here to a T. Clean install of OSX on my OEM HDD, then cloned that drive to the SSD. Installed the SSD back into the SATA slot on my MBP and all was great again. I also read on here to uncheck the "put hard drive to sleep" option in Energy Settings - I thought this could have been my problem. So I unchecked this, as well as disabled my Sudden Motion Sensor. After these two changes, I ran the SSDoptimizer that was posted in the instruction thread. I had high hopes that his would have resolved my issue.

Fast forward to this morning - MBP sleeping again all night. Opened to wake, OSX frozen. Reboot, and I'm getting the folder with the question mark again.

Wondering if I should even try to re-clone the drive and then try this App as mentioned in this thread. http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7012

Not sure if this SSD is worth all this trouble.

Any suggestions as to what's going on?

Thanks!
    Last edited by AnonymousR1; 02-25-2011, 07:33 AM.

Also not sure if any of these settings will help..

http://poller.se/2010/08/optimizing-...or-ssd-drives/

Comment

So I've been running off my external OEM drive for the past day because I didn't feel like swapping hard drives again. My expose stopped working, so I googled it and someone said to reset the PRAM. (option + command + p + r while booting). Once I did this, it recognized my SSD that's still installed in the SATA bay. I changed some more settings on the drive, hopefully it won't crash again! I will follow up..

Comment

Still no luck... I installed SmartSleep and set it to "sleep only", as well as doing all the other tweaks, and it still freezes upon wake, and drive is not recognized on reboot. Any input is appreciated!!!

Comment

Anybody? GSKILL TECH????? About to return this headache.

Comment

AnonymousR1 is the macbook the only pc you have,if not try it in another pc or laptop and see if it does same thing.also have you tried to call gskill tech support about this problem ? don't speed more time on this ssd you have already spent more time than I would.also is this ssd still in the 30 warranty period of where you bought it from.if not get gskill to give you a rma and try that.
            ASUS Rampage II Extreme▐ Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield ▐ ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm▐ G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ▐ (1) G SKILL SNIPER 120 SSD (OS) (1) Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB (storage)▐ EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked ▐ Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V▐ COOLMASTER HAF 932 Case▐ WINDOWS 7 HOME 64

Comment

Originally posted by major53 View Post
              AnonymousR1 is the macbook the only pc you have,if not try it in another pc or laptop and see if it does same thing.also have you tried to call gskill tech support about this problem ? don't speed more time on this ssd you have already spent more time than I would.also is this ssd still in the 30 warranty period of where you bought it from.if not get gskill to give you a rma and try that.
              I have a netbook, but I don't have a USB copy of windows 7 starter to install on the SSD. My roommate has an older MacBook I could probably try it on..

I just sent gskill usa tech support an e-mail, so I'll wait to see what they have to say(hopefully they'll respond).

I bought the drive from newegg about 2 weeks ago, so should still have plenty of time to return it. I don't want to try to keep troubleshooting this if I'm not going to get anywhere and then go over the return period..

Comment

Anonymousr1 was just wondering about the way you set up the bios for the mac .I know on a pc you set it up on AHCI TO RUN SSD,was wondering how you set it in the bios on a mac laptop.

Glad to see you bought it from NEWEGG they have a great customer relationship.I always buy from newegg.been buying from them for the last 15 years it is a great place to buy from.IF gskill don't help you out soon,go to NEWEGG they have a great track record.me I 've been real lucky and haven't had to send one thing back,but if I did I know I would get help the first post.lol hope it works out for you.
                ASUS Rampage II Extreme▐ Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield ▐ ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm▐ G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ▐ (1) G SKILL SNIPER 120 SSD (OS) (1) Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB (storage)▐ EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked ▐ Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V▐ COOLMASTER HAF 932 Case▐ WINDOWS 7 HOME 64

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying earlier.

Actually I had informed Sandforce those issue long time ago, sorry, I still not receive any solution from Sandforce.
                  I thought it was compatible problem with Mac.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X