Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Gskill Phoenix Pro SSD

Hello,
    I recently bought GSkill Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD that I wanted to install into my Mid 2010 macbook pro

I'm having problems getting it detected by macbook pro when its instlalled into the HDD space.

Here is what I did:
    1) Connected SSD via USB to SATA adapter. It got detected by OSX and I was able to use superduper to clone my 250GB HDD to SSD
    2) shutdown macbook pro and swapped HDD for SSD.
    3) after my macbook pro powered on, it keeps sitting at grey screen without apple logo. It looks like its not detecting the SSD at all

So I decided to try using external hard drive as a go between.
    I superdupered my internal HDD to external HDD and installed SSD again.
    Upon booting i got the grey screen again and was able to boot only by doing Option+Command+Shift+Delete to boot of external HDD

I also tried PRAM zap with same result

Any ideas of what might be the problem and how to fix it? SSD seems to be working because I was able to see it via sata to usb adapter

SSD I have is:
    GSkill Phoenix Pro 120GB Model: FM-25S2S-120GBP2

Any help is greatly appreciated

if you boot with your recovery cd then run disk utility do you see the ssd?

Comment

No I do not see the SSD listed

Comment

I've heard reseting the bios/cmos battery will make it detected by PC laptops. Don't know about macs though. Do you have a bios reset? Do macs have bios?

Comment

Interesting...
          After you SuperDuper can you boot from the SSD via the USB adapter?

I'd try booting with your old HDD, attach the SSD via the adapter, repartition the SSD, attach SSD to internal, reset PRAM & SMC, try to boot from the recovery disc that came with your MacBook Pro (not a retail or other), check disk utility.

Your situation doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Comment

got 120gb Phoenix Pro SSD working on 2010 MacBook Pro 13" with following install procedure:

1) Update to Firmware 3.1 using free SATA port on PC with SSD being non-boot drive
            2) Connect SSD via USB to perform SuperDuper clone
            3) Test boot SSD via USB
            4) Install SSD internally in macbook
            5) 1st boot took a while sitting at grey screen & bootup screen
            6) 2nd boot hung (might've been Spotlight trying to index the SSD); had to hold down power button to shutdown
            7) 3rd and subsequent boots seemed okay (although seems sluggish; app launches are quick with occasional pause/stutter during operation)

notes:

a) Having issue with long resume times in OS X, still need to do further testing/troubleshooting since several utilities are set to run at startup (Coconut Battery, iStat Menus, SMCfanControl, Growl)
            b) Boot times seem rather slow for OS X, need further testing/evaluation
            c) System seems to hang/beachball at times (might be Spotlight indexing)
            d) Windows 7 Bootcamp seems to run with fewer hiccups/issues
            e) WEI performance for primary hard disk is 7.1 (a bit lower than usual 7.6 or 7.7 on other notebooks/desktops) ; perhaps combination of SSD+FW and nvidia SATA controller using standard Windows driver?

Comment

I also have the phoenix pro 120gb on a Macbook Unibody White 2010 and was successfully able to run the 120 GB Phoenix Pro.

If you boot it from the OSX DVD installer, OSX won't detect the SSD. But I was able to successfully install it with the following steps.

You'll need the ff: OSX install DVD, extra 2.5" SATA drive, 2.5" SATA USB enclosure, Carbon Copy Cloner software http://www.bombich.com/

Do a clean install OSX on the non-SSD drive that can be detected during the installation boot sequence

1. Install the non-SSD drive in the Macbook
              2. Insert the OSX dvd installer and boot the Macbook while pressing the "C" button to boot from DVD
              3. Select Disk Utilities > On the Volumes Scheme, select 1 partition, on the Format tab, select Mac OSX Extended Journaled, on the Options Tab, select GUID partition table
              4. Run the OSX installer until it finishes the process.
              5. Once installation is complete, don't install any other applications or OSX updates.

Cloning newly installed OSX to the SSD drive
              1. Insert SSD drive into 2.5" SATA-USB enclosure
              2. Go to Applications > Utilities >Disk Utilities > Select the SSD drive
              3. On the Volumes Scheme, select 1 partition, on the Format tab, select Mac OSX Extended Journaled, select GUID partition table
              4. Once partitioned, you will be able to detect the SSD drive on the desktop
              5. Download Carbon Copy Cloner at http://www.bombich.com/"]http://www.bombich.com/
              6. Run Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your newly installed OSX to the SSD drive

Final steps - Installing SSD drive to the Macbook
              1. Shutdown Computer
              2. Remove the non-SSD drive
              3. Insert the SSD drive
              4. Reboot
              5. Run OSX updates, install programs normally

Also, it's a good idea to run SSD Optimizer for OSX
              http://www.mediafire.com/?bqjcbl7xjylh15g

- OSX should now be working on your SSD

Comment

Working...
              X