Pre-sale questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-sale questions

Looking to step into SSD market, way to many to choose from. I have been using GSkill memory for years without a hitch so their SSDs are my first choice. I have been reading on SSDs and am wondering about the 28% overprovisioning on some drives.
    I do not want something to have to continually maintain by erasing. I have read that the overprovisioning cures that. With that said:
    1. Am looking at the 100GB GSkill SSD, is this an overprovisioned drive?
    2. Would the 120GB SSD need to be periodically erased to maintain performance?
    3. Do you need to format drives to upgrade firmware?
    4. Also looking at the FM-25S2S-120GBP1 and the FM-25S2S-120GBP2. What is the difference to justify the 60.00US price difference and do these drives have the RAISE and DURAWrite technology?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    Last edited by Cornholeo; 10-21-2010, 03:14 PM.

Off Topic.. sorry...

But until GSkill provide a solution to my drive woes my best advise to anyone is to steer clear of any gskill ssd products...

support is terrible... ssd drives corrupt where other brands dont.. I have tested this personally!!!

Firmware updates are an absolut joke... yes you will need to format the drive completely...

hope this helps you make a wise ssd purchase decsion.

Comment

Hi Cornholeo

1. Am looking at the 100GB GSkill SSD, is this an overprovisioned drive?
      100GB actually have 120GB of NAND-FLASH, firmware retained 28% of the space to extend the life of SSD
      2. Would the 120GB SSD need to be periodically erased to maintain performance?
      Normal use is unnecessary
      But before you consider re-installing the system can be considered
      3. Do you need to format drives to upgrade firmware?
      Unnecessary
      But I suggest you backup your data first

4. Also looking at the FM-25S2S-120GBP1 and the FM-25S2S-120GBP2. What is the difference to justify the 60.00US price difference and do these drives have the RAISE and DURAWrite technology?
      The general use of the environment not feel different
      We recommend that you buy FM-25S2S-120GBP1

To:EzDingo
      Sorry we can not make you satisfied with the service
      But we will continue to improve the deficiencies
      Last edited by G.SKILL; 10-21-2010, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at these on newegg and noticed this info in the specs section of the BP2 drive: IOPS: Up to 50000 (disk aligned; 4KB random write)

Is this drive optimized over its brother drive?

Comment

I won't worry about the over provisioning. Choose the drive size and price you want.

Performance is the same from what I have read.

Either drive will provide much TP

Comment

Working...
          X