Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix SSD & M4N98TD EVO MB

Hi everybody,

I finally got my SSD configured with all my software installed and everything appears to be functioning normally.

My current configuration is as follows:
    AMD 1090T BE
    M4N98TD EVO MB
    8GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Memory

The SSD drive i bought was the 60GB Phoenix SSD (FM-25S2S-60GBP1). I had good luck with G.Skill components in the past so I felt comfortable purchasing my SSD drive from them.

When i plugged in the drive, the BIOS immediately detected the drive. So I set the BIOS to AHCI mode, and installed Windows 7. It installed fine. I installed the windows updates, ms office. Then I decided to run the ATTO Benchmark 2.46, the numbers seemed pretty good. Afterwards, I decided to install my video card drivers, restarted, then all of a sudden, my machine could no longer boot from the SSD drive... strange... So i figured i would try again and tried to secure erase the drive however I was unsuccessful using either GParted or HDDErase but after further research, speaking with G.Skill tech support, and because the drive supports TRIM, I would be ok using the Windows 7 Quick format.

So after cursing either the video card driver or the ATTO benchmark for screwing up my drive, i reinstalled windows... but the installation started to hang... ok... i reinstalled again... and again the installation hanged...

So i thought about it for a while... because of how AHCI works, it might be causing some problems with partitioning & installation... So i decided to run the installation in IDE mode... and the installation went fine.

Afterwards, I went into the Windows registry, set msahci/start to 0, reset the BIOS to ahci. I then went into windows, configured some SSD tweaks, installed everything, reboot system, no problems.

My situation may not be limited to my configuration but i think it's a good idea to first install windows 7 in IDE mode, then set the BIOS to AHCI afterwards.

AJ

hi AJ

thank you very much.

we got some similar issue like yours.
    we think the problem is between AHCI driver and controller.
    thank you for providing us your valuable experience

Comment

Some additional findings...

I was having an issue with performance and at last i'd found out my problem...

I'm also running a WD 1TB Western Digital external MyBook drive... I had this running on E-Sata and I noticed that the drive had been patitioned using FAT32... I switched the connection from E-Sata to FireWire and my machine went from taking 30 seconds to boot into windows 7 to 20 seconds... I also converted the drive from FAT32 to NTFS...

There may have been an issue with this drive and AHCI and could have been the reason i was unable to install Windows 7 using AHCI with this drive attached using E-SATA...

AJ

Comment

Working...
      X