Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Pro 120 arriving tomorrow

Hi everyone,

core i7 860 1156, giga p55 ud4p, G.Skill 2x 2G F3-16000CL9D-GBTD(just stock timings, works great), ati 5870, x-fi titanium, blueray, win7 home premium 64bit.

My current SSD is an imation MAB-25 64G on the intel PCH-D intel controller using RST and two imation MAC-25 64Gs on the gigabyte controller in raid0. I have a retired WD velociraptor 300G sitting silently inside the case in the event my pri drive fails.

I'm really looking forward to the speed of the G.Skill Phoenix Pro

I really have no complaints with the imation SSDs, ATTO reports 144MB/s read but 80MB/s write(64k). When it(the MAB-25 was bought and installed in January) was new it had decent write speeds, but lately it chatters when I boot and a DVD is in the player. I've read that this drive doesn't support TRIM, so I'm hoping the chattering is related to this. These are store-bought DVDs, Stargate SG-1 collection. And no, the blueray drive isn't making any noise, just the SSD actually makes a chattering noise, guess it's DRM making sure the DVD isn't bootleg or something. I even uninstalled media center and installed powerdvd to hope to fix it, but no change.

I've verified my current drive's alignment at http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=107126 so I plan to just image the new Phoenix Pro with a win7 backup drive image.

Question is, can anyone suggest something to do to my system before I install the new SSD in place of my old one to try to eliminate the chattering? I haven't performed any of the "recommended" tweaks for SSDs on my system and have been running this SSD for about 9 months now, this old imation drive has been kind of an experiment . I don't want to kick the new drive down into throttled mode that I've read about the first time I boot with a DVD in the drive. There are 4 episodes on each DVD, I usually watch one full DVD during the week, and that's about 14 shutdown/boots. I only watch movies, play games like cod, hl, wolfet, and surf the web. I don't do any music conversion or anything like that, that I read about causing the throttling issue.

Thanks,
    Andy (AKA Grense)
    Last edited by Grense; 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM. Reason: had a typo on imation ssd write speed from atto

Once your original OS has RST driver and partition has aligned, you just have to check the SATA run in AHCI mode to get the better performance.
    I'm not sure why your previous imation SSD chattered, that is really weird.However i'm sure phoenix pro is silent.
    If your have any problem of install your phoenix, please tell us and we will help you in time.

Comment

installed, running great! WEI 7.7

Comment

didn't expect it to get faster!

edit - it's partitioned as 64G. same sixe as the old upgraded ssd, i haven't increased the volume size yet

Last edited by Grense; 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Nice,

I just got one also,

This might help with your tweaks:

http://www.techspot.com/guides/246-s...tweak-utility/

Remember avoid benching the sandforce controller too much!

Enjoy

Oh and if using AMD use the microsoft ACHI drivers.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, so far I haven't performed any tweaks, just removed indexing in the hopes that it causes my blueray drive to stop chattering all the time when i watch a retail stargate dvd, even does it on boot(oh and I know I first said it was the old ssd chattering, but it turns out the blu-ray/dvdrom drive is. If i had to guess the issue my observations suggest an issue in drive recognition, drive is bluray/dvdrom video and maybe software thinks it's recordable and attempting to write-test to determine "rights", yet since my os is software based any rights it detects are null since i'm at owned hardware with retail software, so maybe there are two issues.) and lasts for 15 seconds to 3 minutes. maybe the drive has many of the recordable version's desgn and the drive will perform all operations since it's base says no write head?

Two questions I have now are:

1. does my current ssd performance table show unusual wear?

2. if antvirus, search services, indexing, DRM, or other software is causing the heavy activity, and event viewer doesn't see any problems, what log would i look at to locate root cause?

as a side note when i first installed it and bought the collection, it sarted the heavy usage pattern after 3 weeks or so. also i installed a dvd burner a couple months ago and first play sputtered real bad 2/3 into the first movie i watched, and yesterday i gave it another shot and played 2 movies straight with no excessive activity.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about wear on a brand new drive unless you are abusing secure erase.

The sandforce usage log is very inaccurate, enjoy the drive.

Comment

Working...
              X