Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12x 60GB Gskill Phoenix Pro SSD - Crystalmark Disk Info - drive health ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12x 60GB Gskill Phoenix Pro SSD - Crystalmark Disk Info - drive health ?

I have 12x 60GB Gskill Phoenix Pro SSDs which just arrived yesterday and i downloaed latest Crystalmark Disk Info 3.80RC to view each drives SMART info and noticed some drives have lower initial drive health numbers out of the box ? Some of them with health status down in 82% mark while others in 93-96% mark! Does this mean some drives' useful life will be less ? How accurate is this info ?

System:
    • Xeon W3540 3845B010
    • DFI Prolimatech Megahalem + 120x38mm Scythe UltraKaze 2000rpm 88cfm fan
    • DFI UT X58-T3EH8
    • 1GB HIS HD5570
    • 6GB DDR3
    • Pioneer DVD-RW IDE
    • 640GB Samsung SATAII (HD642JJ)
    • 2x 1GB Samsung F3 SATAII 103SJ
    • 2x 1GB Samsung F1 SATAII 103UJ
    • 2x SSD tested at a time (installed in Manhattan dual drive L-Type hot swappable mobile racks)
    • Shintaro USB3.0 PCI-E 2 port card
    • Shintaro Blazer USB3.0 2.5" & 3.5" SATA hdd docker
    • HX850 modular PSU
    • Lian Li PC-7FNWX USB3.0 case
    • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Each individual 60GB Gskill Phoenix Pro SSD on my main work rig (Xeon W3540 + DFI UT X58-T3EH8) via the Manhatten dual 2.5" in 3.5" drive bay.

Well mine worse than yours.. bought this two days ago brand new..

MSI 790FX-GD70
    AMD Phenom II 955
    Noctua NH-C12P Cooling
    8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 (7-7-7-24 1T)
    2 x 1GB ATI HD5770 Crossfire setup
    750W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU (60A Max)
    G.Skill PHOENIX FM-25S2S-120GBP1
    2x320GB SATAII Seagate HDD RAID 0 (640GB)
    1TB SATAII Seagate HDD
    LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
    Pioneer DVR-215/BK
    Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower case
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX DTS 96/24
    24" BENQ FP241W WUXGA

Comment

Dear eva200 and kamalmawa,
      Thanks for support our Phoenix.
      CrystalDiskInfo report it health mostly related to SMART attribute ID 05: retired block count.
      Sandforce driven SSD would increase its value of SMART attribute ID 05 with writing data to SSD.
      Before we deliver our SSD, we will do some read/write tests so the health would not be 100% health.
      We are asking sandforce to help G.Skill with this issue and it hopefully could be sovled in the future firmware.

Comment

Thanks vaca for the reply, so this retired block count can be reset via firmware and/or hdderase ?

Comment

Not completely, personally I think the the way SMART reports values is still not 100% accurate for Sandforce. Hopefully vaca and others are working with Sandforce to iron this out. Meanwhile, if you can, open CDI>Function>Advanced Feature>Raw Values>10 [DEC]. I would like to take a look at some values... take a break from helping people overclock/set up their memory. =D

kamalmawa, your SSD capacity is twice as large, so generally speaking it would have more retired blocks than a smaller capacity.

Also, glad to see you on here George. ;-)

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Not completely, personally I think the the way SMART reports values is still not 100% accurate for Sandforce. Hopefully vaca and others are working with Sandforce to iron this out. Meanwhile, if you can, open CDI>Function>Advanced Feature>Raw Values>10 [DEC]. I would like to take a look at some values... take a break from helping people overclock/set up their memory. =D

kamalmawa, your SSD capacity is twice as large, so generally speaking it would have more retired blocks than a smaller capacity.

Also, glad to see you on here George.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            Glad to be here

Okay changed to 10[DEC] values and took a look at 4 of the SSDs, first two i'll call then 804 and 804 ending serial numbers which have been in use testing so far and the last 2 are lowest reported Crystal disk info health status values - weird numbers indeed if you compare 'Lifetime reads and writes from Host' to health values which seem to derive from 'E7 - SSD Life left'

804 & 805

807 & 811

Comment

Yep, that's the problem. Currently there is no direct correlation between F1/F2 and E7. I simply think E7 is not reported accurately, not calculated correctly. I don't know how it is, but will keep you posted if I do. There are other drives that are thousands into F1/F2, yet E7 is still the same...

Any updates vaca?

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

We have a meeting with sandforce today, and i'll ask them this issue.
                Last edited by vaca; 08-31-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks vaca

yeah might not be accurate for ssds, but was for my OS 640GB Samsung SATA, thanks to the screenshots above noticed my OS disk had errors, have to reinstall all my apps and transfer my data all over again

nasty 'Current pending sector count' - no longer can successfully backup image the OS partition off this disk, gives me 0x80 error and imaging apps error out around 50GB mark

Spent 20+ hrs reinstalling and transferring data to replacement 640GB Samsung hdd because i couldn't image clone the old disk due to errors.

new disk

guess i saved myself alot of headaches later on thanks to testing these ssds and coming across the sata disk error heh

Comment

been benching alot my ssds so did a secure erase via gparted live cd and rechecked 807 and 811 drives as above to compare and still show same health status despite many writes to the ssds so maybe not accurate ?

Comment

Working...
                    X