G.Skill 64gb SSD FM-25S2S-64GB problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill 64gb SSD FM-25S2S-64GB problems

I bought this drive in May of 2009, it has been running very good until a few days ago. My problem with it now is constant file system errors which cause Window to stop working.

There is no SMART errors, and when I used HDtune 2.54 to do a surface scan there are no errors and no bad blocks.

When I run CHKDSK from a dos prompt in admin mode, each scan finds new errors, after about 5 scans the partition disapears and wont come back until a reboot. Running CHKDSK again find more errors and unreadable blocks. Scanning again with HDtune finds no errors or bad blocks.

I used another program from HDDguru to wipe the disk and Zero fill it and then reinstall windows. After the first reboot the filesystem is currupt again.

I have tried another Sata Cable, same problem, and I also tried it plugged into USB and same problem. The current Sata cable I use is a multi shielded cable.

I downloaded HDDerase but have not been able to use it yet. I hope to do so soon.

Could someone give me some advice how to test the drive correctly for errors, I only have that one program HDtune for checking the drive, and since it can't find anything I assume it's more of an electronic problem and not a data issue.

Since I bought it 15 months ago I am wondering if it still has warranty, I believe it had 2 year warranty but I can no longer remember. I have the receipt from when I bought it in May-2009 but there is nothing listed about warranty period.

I am in Australia and also wonder about the cost of RMA, has anyone got an idea on costs for shipping if I use RMA to have it checked.

Thanks.
    Andrew

Dear Skozzy,
    Thanks for buying G.Skill product.
    Could you tell me the specific model name?
    The RMA info is here

Comment

The model name shows FM-25S2S-64GB 2.5" 64GB SSD SATA-2
      There are also three Bar Codes on it
      (top of the sticker)
      8 48354 00375 5
      0 848354 003755
      (bottom of the sticker)
      917000Y076693

Any advice how to correctly test the drive before doing an RMA

Could you give an estimation on costs before I attempt an RMA

Thanks

Comment

Dear Skozzy,
        From your description, i infer that your SSD may have NAND flash with too many bad blocks.
        But we have to use some tools to analyse your SSD.
        Due to your SSD is still in warranty, the only cost you have to pay is the freight of delivering to G.Skill.

Comment

The drive has been sent to you, are you able to check if it has been fixed yet.

Comment

Once we receive your RMA we will deliver the replacement to you ASAP.

Comment

Working...
            X