Win 7 x64 1916 firmware update hints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 x64 1916 firmware update hints

Thought I might share my success .... wanted to update to 1916 firmware of new Falcon II 128Gb when building a new computer without having access to another SATA capable machine and without having to reinstall too much. Key hardware was Gigabyte H57M-USB3 mobo and i5-660 cpu. Had some of the problems seen elsewhere in this forum (not recognised etc) and others and experienced the usual frustration at the poor documentation and lack of detail for the update process.

To cut a long story short, what worked for me was using the SATA0 port/connector for the ssd, setting the bios to make everything IDE (ie not AHCI), installing Win 7 x64 on the (also new) hdd and then running the 1916 upgrade ap using Win 7 Compatability Wizard which recommended XP SP2 ..... Then I only had to reinstall Win 7 and the mobo drivers on the ssd and reformat the hdd.

These hints are spread across these forums but I couldn't find them in the one place. Maybe these hints and some other shortcuts might find themselves into some improved update documentation (as requested by others). Or a better update process and ap.

This was the only significant problem I have had in the build ... and I don't do it often. I probably won't buy G.Skill again (or recommend them to others) unless I see some changes in their approach to support. An upgrade process without the need to backup and reinstall would also be good.

I'll leave the performance issues for others.

Cheers
Working...
X