Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to get performance back Win 7 maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get performance back Win 7 maybe?

I have had 2 G.Skill Falcon 128GB in RAID0 for some time now. I have sat back and watched the speed of my drive get slower and slower. I will have to be good with the firmware I have now b/c I dont have the jumper cable and even if i did I would have to crack open the case which would void my warranty with the company I had build this PC.

I remember reading some 3 or 4 months ago that you could completely wipe the drive clean returning the speed to the drives. Something along the lines of breaking the RAID0 up into 2 drives and completely erasing them. Only problem is i would no longer be able to boot into windows. I want a clean install of Win 7. What should I do? What program would let me do this from boot? And when I do install Win 7, is it easy to set the RAID0 back up while installing? What should I be aware of and what should I stay away from.

I am really hurting here, any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Holton0289; 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM.
    Desktop PC
    eVGA x58 SLI Classified
    i7 950
    12GB Corsair DDR3 1666
    2 G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD RAID0
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    3 MSI N285GTX OC Superpipe in TRI-SLI
    LG Blu-Ray Burner

Notebook
    Sager NP9280
    i7 965
    6GB Mushkin DDR3 1333
    2 Corsair Extreme 128GB SSD RAID0
    500GB Velociraptor
    nVidia GTX 280M

Yep I am in exactly the same boat except my raid-0 has not deteriorated yet. What I plan to do when it does is simply take it down to a local computer store and get them to upgrade both drives to the latest firmware which GSkill has now confirmed contains garbage collection which should prevent the problem occurring again. I don't really like mucking around with hardware stuff.

However if you want to have a go at it yourself here is how I would do it. First backup any data you want to keep from the raided drives. I would remove the dives form raid and install them as single drives. Then I would install windows on one drive. That will allow you to install the updated firmware on the other drive. Then I would install windows on the other drive so you can update the firmware on the second drive. Then I would reinstall the raid and reinstall windows. Of course this would be a lot easier if you had a friends computer you could use to simply install the firmware on both drives (you may be lucky and be able to use your notebook). That's another reason I want my computer store to do it - they have tons of machines on hand.

If you can use a friends computer or your notebook then it should simply be a matter of backing up any data you want, pulling the drives out and installing them in the other computer. Install the new firmware then put them back. You should not have to break the raid or reinstall it. You may even be lucky and not loose any data - however I am not so well versed in the procedure to know if you will or not. I am pretty sure however you will not need to break your raid.

Thanks
    Bill
    Last edited by bhobba; 03-12-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

how could I go about doing it on my notebook? And this new firmware that has garbage collection works on a RAID array, whats the point I thought Win 7 had that built it? What program should I use to completely erase all data on the disks, something that goes deeper than a format.
      Desktop PC
      eVGA x58 SLI Classified
      i7 950
      12GB Corsair DDR3 1666
      1TB Seagate Barracuda
      LG Blu-Ray Burner

Notebook
      Sager NP9280
      i7 965
      6GB Mushkin DDR3 1333
      2 Corsair Extreme 128GB SSD RAID0
      500GB Velociraptor
      nVidia GTX 280M

Comment

As I said I am not really a hardware sort of guy - I would get the guys at the local computer shop to do it - its what I plan to do when the time comes. But just off the top of my head I would suggest removing the HDD from your notebook (not your raided boot drives - at least I suspect your raided drives are your boot drives) from your notebook and replacing it with each of your raided drives in turn and flashing the 1916 firmware then replacing them back in your desktop.

Without going into the technicalities of what trim and garbage collection each do the bottom line is that trim really requires garbage collection to work properly. For a bit of a discussion check out:
        http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

This describes how Intel does it. The Indilinx on the Falcon does is a bit differently (it does more of a static page translation rather than the dynamic one the Intel does - this makes garbage collection a bit more difficult - the Intel already has some form of it via the dynamic mapping - which is why writes for the Intel are longer - it does some garbage collection and updating page tables during writes) but the principles are the same. If you just did a trim function it wont actually do much good - (it will stave off the time before your drive deteriorates - but that's it - it won't eliminate it) you still need garbage collection to keep your drives in good nick. However if you implement both trim and garbage collection then garbage collection will work more efficiently when the trim function is available (trim will tell the drive sooner when a page is available to be used by the garbage collector - that's why the Intel has more to gain from it - it does garbage collection during writes so the more efficient it is the better its writes - Indilinx does it during idle time - writes are not affected). However without trim garbage collection all by itself will keep your drive working just fine - the garbage collection will take longer but it will still work. The new drives like the crucial C300 and the sandforce do this properly. All the tests of them show with or without trim the drives are fine. Others using the Indilinx like OCZ who have had 1915 for a while now report the same - with or without trim its fine.

If you wish when you have them in your notebook you can run wiper.exe.

Thanks
        Bill
        Last edited by bhobba; 03-13-2010, 12:53 AM.

Comment

that is what i am going to do too. i was able to get hdderase to work. i had to swpa a few sata cables around and disable a couple jmicron ports but i was able to get into the erase part.

It took about 8 seconds to do both drives. I hope it worked, it was so fast i dont know if it really erased everything
          Desktop PC
          eVGA x58 SLI Classified
          i7 950
          12GB Corsair DDR3 1666
          1TB Seagate Barracuda
          LG Blu-Ray Burner

Notebook
          Sager NP9280
          i7 965
          6GB Mushkin DDR3 1333