G.Skill, Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2, and Technical Phone Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill, Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2, and Technical Phone Support

I have a G.Skill Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2 (SSD) that was purchased over 2 years ago, that I purchased in a multiple G.Skill Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2 purchase. I installed one of the SSD's in October/November of 2012 (with latest firmware update) for the first time - yes, ~2 years after I bought it. Since then, the computer, in which this SSD was installed, has seen light-to-moderate use (at most 1500 hours of use; but most likely <900 hours). The Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2 has an advertised MTBF (aka Life Expectancy) of +2,000,000 hours. This SSD died unexpectedly and abruptly a few days ago. The SSD would not be recognized by the BIOS or OS or Win 7 32-bit Startup Repair DVD (full install DVD) toolset. The computer would not POST as normal and then gave the "BOOTMGR missing..." message. I uninstalled/re-installed all other unnecessary components from the computer and verified that no other component was causing the issue. I installed another SSD, imaged the "new" SSD with the computers backup image, which verified that the originally installed Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2 SSD was the issue. Also, I installed the SSD in another computer as a secondary drive and experienced similar delayed BIOS POSTing and the OS did not recognize the SSD. I downloaded the recommended "Parted Magic v5.7" ISO image and burned the image to an USB drive using the recommended "Universal USB Installer". I booted the computer using the USB drive (Parted Magic v5.7) and only the SSD (and the other minimally necessary components [M/B, CPU, RAM, video card, etc.]). The Linux distro started, but did not recognize the SSD. I am fairly confident the SSD is hard failed, but wanted to speak with customer service, in order to verify my conclusion.

I called the Contact Us/USA Technical Support (909) 598-6860, but it was the weekend, and there was no answer. I waited until Monday (4/22/2013) at ~8:30 AM Pacific Time (I am in Pacific Time Zone) and called USA Tech Support again. There was no answer. The phone would ring for 2 minutes and then switch to a annoying alternating busy/buzzing sound. I tried repeatedly to get through to USA Tech Support. I verified the customer support phone number at Newegg.com - it is the same number. Out of the 30+ times I called, the phone was actually answered 4 times. The first time, the person who answered started to dial the phone, then waited in silence, then hung up. The other times, it was clear someone had answered and then hung up. I tried multiple times between 8:30am and 5:00 pm, which are the posted G.Skill USA Tech Support hours.

At mid morning, I decided that I was forced by the lack of access to the USA Technical Support via phone to try the G.Skill Tech Forum. I signed up/registered. I replied to the registration/confirmation email sent to my email inbox, but was unable to post after confirming registration, because the G.Skill Tech Forum requires a moderator to manually activate the confirmed registered user account - even though the rules of the forum say I should be able to post new threads AND reply to existing posts immediately after responding to the confirmation email. I received an "Account validated" email later (~9 hours) in the evening of the same day, and could now (the next day) post this issue.

The same technical support phone number that is listed on Gskill.com/Contact Us page is, also, listed as a contact phone number at Newegg.com. I have contacted Newegg and have asked them for help with this issue.

How can I speak to technical support to verify my SSD does in fact require a warranty repair/replacement? Is failure after 1500 hours typical for this SSD? Do you have any other tools I should be using to investigate this failure? Is there a corporate phone number that I can call to express my dissatisfaction with my experience?

Thanks
    donmacyou
    Last edited by donmacyou; 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have had. For the past week, our USA support location has been moving to a new location, so support has not been as usual.

As of now, the telephone company is still working on transferring the line correctly, which is why there is a temporary problem. We will be glad to help you hear or via email.

Based on your stated details, there is definitely something wrong going on with the SSD. Please send it in for RMA exchange and a replacement should work flawlessly. Failure is not typical within a couple years, but it can happen. Because of this, all G.Skill Phoenix II series SSDs are backed by a 3 year warranty. If the drive has any issues, defects, or problems, we can replace it with a new one that works perfectly.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I can understand issues with moving, but I am astounded that G.Skill didn't have a working customer support system (people, desks with computers and phones) in place before, during, and after a move. There should have been, at minimum, an announcement on your Gskill.com/Contact us page that let the customer know that technical support would be compromised during your transition AND a recorded phone message on some phone number, somewhere, that would tell your customers the situation when/if they called during your move. Realistically, G.Skill should have had some form of Technical Support available via a phone number, somewhere. When necessary, your Contact Us page can/could/should be changed over night to inform the customer - that is the primary way you let your customers know about your company. In fact, you may want to make that change tonight, so that your customer tomorrow doesn't have the same experience as I have had already.

I have already contacted Newegg.com to help with this issue. They said they would be contacting you on my behalf. I will wait for either you or Newegg to contact me.

At minimum, can you have someone in your technical support/customer support (preferred) call or (not preferred) email me? If a phone call, how would you like me to give you my phone number. You already have my email address.
      Last edited by donmacyou; 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have had. For the past week, our USA support location has been moving to a new location, so support has not been as usual.

As of now, the telephone company is still working on transferring the line correctly, which is why there is a temporary problem. We will be glad to help you hear or via email.

Based on your stated details, there is definitely something wrong going on with the SSD. Please send it in for RMA exchange and a replacement should work flawlessly. Failure is not typical within a couple years, but it can happen. Because of this, all G.Skill Phoenix II series SSDs are backed by a 3 year warranty. If the drive has any issues, defects, or problems, we can replace it with a new one that works perfectly.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Please read my above reply.

I was wondering why I had not received a reply to my request. I thought the "add reply" button was for replying, but I was wrong - I should have used the "quote" button.

Comment

It is noon 4-24-2013, I have not received a follow up email or communication from G.Skill per "We will be glad to help you hear [sic] or via email."

I still see the same "USA Technical support phone number 1-9095986860" on your website with no disclaimer regarding tech phone support being down.

I was reading your RMA policy and came across this: "G.SKILL recommends End Users to contact original retailer or vendor for faster replacement or refund. Prior to requesting a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA), G.SKILL recommends End Users to troubleshoot with G.SKILL technical support. This may save time and costs from unnecessary shipping."

*note: I just tried their Tech Support number and they answered. I was surprised and ended up reflexively hanging up on them. I called back and spoke with Anthony and Tim, both gave excellent support. I have to enter the RMA manually via email and their custom document. Thanks G.Skill.

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Originally posted by donmacyou View Post
          I can understand issues with moving, but I am astounded that G.Skill didn't have a working customer support system (people, desks with computers and phones) in place before, during, and after a move. There should have been, at minimum, an announcement on your Gskill.com/Contact us page that let the customer know that technical support would be compromised during your transition AND a recorded phone message on some phone number, somewhere, that would tell your customers the situation when/if they called during your move. Realistically, G.Skill should have had some form of Technical Support available via a phone number, somewhere. When necessary, your Contact Us page can/could/should be changed over night to inform the customer - that is the primary way you let your customers know about your company. In fact, you may want to make that change tonight, so that your customer tomorrow doesn't have the same experience as I have had already.

I have already contacted Newegg.com to help with this issue. They said they would be contacting you on my behalf. I will wait for either you or Newegg to contact me.

At minimum, can you have someone in your technical support/customer support (preferred) call or (not preferred) email me? If a phone call, how would you like me to give you my phone number. You already have my email address.
          Originally posted by donmacyou View Post
          Please read my above reply.

I was wondering why I had not received a reply to my request. I thought the "add reply" button was for replying, but I was wrong - I should have used the "quote" button.
          Last edited by donmacyou; 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Hi,

We are really sorry that you spending that much time for the RMA service! Please kindly message us about your address, we will send you some goodies!!!!

Have a nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
              Hi,

We are really sorry that you spending that much time for the RMA service! Please kindly message us about your address, we will send you some goodies!!!!

Have a nice day!
              Private message with address sent. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X