Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSkill Phoenix III 240GB SSD slow on SATA III

Hi all,

I have a 240GB SSD GSkill Phoenix III connected to a motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, connected SATA III (6Gbps), but performance is 210 MB / s in write and read. Gigabyte has responded to an email, explaining that the speed of this ssd is correct. I think the speed of 500MB / s would be correct. On the website of GSkill says first that the SATA III speed is 550MB / s, but in the specifications, reading at the end says: Multimedia Data Transfer (AS-SSD) Read: Up to 200MB / s Write: Up to 230MB / s .

That speed is correct for this ssd?, SATA III, 550 or 200MB / s

I also read on the internet, which gives Marvell controller problems. Do not know what to think.

Obviously that is updated throughout the system, BIOS, drivers, firmware, and AHCI is on ...

Someone with this motherboard and this ssd? ... with or without this problem?

Thanks and sorry for the language, I used the Google translator.

AS-SSD is a popular benchmarking utility, can find it here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_asssdbenchmark/

Many people use Crystal Disk Mark which also tends to provide lower marks due to it's approach to testing, might want to try the ATTO benchmark which gives, to me, more realistic results....Will you hit 500MB, realistically not likely, those figures are theoretical on a pristine drive under ideal conditions - sort of like SATA III stating up to 6GB throughput on a harddrive, which is all well and good but there's no mechanical drives that can even max out out SATA II (3GB) throughput

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hello Tradesman,

First of all thank you very much for your help!

I have used several programs AS SSD, ATTO Benchmark, ANVIL ...

ATTO is the most speed reaches the test, recording still is especially low for SATA 6Gbps, do not you think?

Any idea?

Greetings ...
      Attached Files

Comment

Have you tweaked the SSD and Win at all? The odds and ends like turning off indexing, removing the page file or moving it to a mechanical drive, moving temp directories off the drive, etc....I wrote a SSD tuning guide here on the forums back in 2009, but it looks like they pulled it off, there's one here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/w...tweaking-guide

that's pretty good. Sorry I can't help more, but anymore I seldom use SSDs straight up. They are a ton faster than mechanical drives, but a couple of years ago, I moved to taking SSDs and simply looking at what a client wanted say a 240 or a 120, and rather than go with a single drive getting a pair of smaller ones (i.e. 2 120s instead of a 240 or a pair of 64s instead of a 120) and throwing them into RAID 0....I don't ever remember getting one that came close to the advertised spec, which to me is basically a theoretical number (which is why I mentioned the supposed SATA III speeds). Besides Benchmarks both read and WRITE to a disk, and writes to a SSD are it's primary cause of deterioration and shorten the lifespan.

I've currently got an old RAID in this system that is composed of a pair of GSkill 120GB Sniper SSDs, that are rated (I think) 275/255MB, under Crystal Disk Mark it typically runs 360/480 reads and 170-180 writes, under ATTO it's 500+ reads and 490ish writes

Attached Files

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for everything, I still think that the whole problem can come because of the Marvell controller, but I can be wrong. Do not know what to think.

Thanks for your help Tradesman!

Comment

The Marvel prob has a lot to do with it, I personally can't stand them

Tman

Comment

that motherboard has two sata3 ports by marvell and 6 ports by intel/jmicron. the marvell controller is the culprit and that is why you have poor speeds. there are no such 'tweaking' that can be done on the OS or hardware level to improve your speeds with the ssd on that motherboard. the only way you'll get close to advertised speeds is to upgrade to the intel 6 or 7 series where they use native intel controllers. stay away from marvell controllers!

Comment

Working...
              X