all keys are orange but G5 key is REDish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all keys are orange but G5 key is REDish

TL;DR: G5 key have normal RED, but the BLUE and GREEN is 50% less brighter than it should. Is it Physical or Software defects?

I tested and compare G5 key with G4 and G6 keys.
    It bothered me when I saw G5 today that it's more RED than everyone else, so I thought the RED is broken.

Test Video: https://youtu.be/ICVTHSiBf0g

I set up 3 color. hex values are 010000, 000100, and 000001, and set the brightness to the lowest. compared those 3 keys in 3 color config, It shows REDs are normal, but the BLUE and GREEN is less brighter in G5 alone.

Update: Left Shift key have this issue too, but only with BLUE. RED and GREEN seems ok.
    I really wish this is just some software issue.

1) SW and FW version.
    -SW 0.104 FW 57

2) Did this issue occur on a new software installation or software update?
    - No, I just realized something odd about this G5 key when the color is Orange. It's way more RED than others.

3) What is the model number of your keyboard and layout?
    - English US
    4) Which Windows OS version are you using?
    - Windows 10 64bit, Updated

5) Which USB port did you plug the keyboard into?
    - back panel, USB2.0

6) Your motherboard model number
    - Asus G85M-G

7) Any antivirus/anti-malware software programs you have installed
    - Malwarebytes, Windows Defender

8) Any other keyboard/mouse/similar device software you have installed
    - Logitech Gaming Software for my G500, currently uninstalled. none more.
    Last edited by azeunkn0wn; 07-26-2016, 04:43 AM.

It could be a faulty keyboard with weak LEDs.

Would the brightness difference be more distinct if you use a higher single color value? For example 990000 vs 009900/000099 or FF0000 vs 00FF00/0000FF?

May we also know if the second USB connector is also connected? A second USB connection might help provide more power to the keyboard for the brightness.

It would also help us if you could let us know the correct software and firmware version listed in the software setting (wrench icon on the top right). Sometimes firmware might not be updated correctly and cause setting issues.

Kindly check the above points, and let us know. If none of the above helps, then perhaps a RMA replacement would be in order.

Thank you!

Comment

SW 0.104
      FW 57

I also did downgrade to see if it's a broken FW but it is still there.
      Yes, It is very obvious that the BLUE and GREEN color are weaker than the other.
      I also found the Shift and 'V' keys have the same issue.
      both USBs are plugged in, also tried different ports.

shipping back will probably cost me $10.

Question, are these switches replaceable? I might just fix it myself if it's only a few keys. Ofcourse, I won't do it before the warranty ends.

Comment

Just found 'N' having less Blue.

That's weird, so many inconsistent colors in a keyboard.
        Maybe I am Bugged? literally. (not software bug)
        Last edited by azeunkn0wn; 07-26-2016, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
          It could be a faulty keyboard with weak LEDs.

Would the brightness difference be more distinct if you use a higher single color value? For example 990000 vs 009900/000099 or FF0000 vs 00FF00/0000FF?

Thank you!
          I've been using my KM780 with LEDs turned off for a while. (brightness = 0%)
          but I found out that Blues or Greens are still glowing. Either I turned brightness to zero, or pick the #000000 (black) color.

LEDs are #000201 or #000100 instead of #000000.

blues are on F5 and F6 down through space bar.
          greens are in random keys.

what do you think about this? does anyone else have this "issue"

also tested on #010000 and I got #010001 instead. looks like these LEDs have passive value of 1 blue/green.
          can someone try setting the brightness to zero and check. If i'm the only one, then this keyboard is defective.
          If I'm not alone, then I guess it's okay. I'm just bothered because it is still glowing when I turn off all the lights and LEDs in my room.
          Last edited by azeunkn0wn; 08-04-2016, 08:17 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

If the blue or green LEDs are still on when you set it to #000000, then it's likely a defective keyboard.

Since you've already done a firmware reflash, it does seem like a faulty connection somewhere on the hardware.

Comment

Working...
            X