KM780 RGB Per Key Color Limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KM780 RGB Per Key Color Limitations

So I just picked up the KM780, and am generally pleased with its construction. As others have noted, the software seems like it could be a little friendlier in places, but it seems serviceable enough.

However I find it considerably disappointing that the dialog where you can assign individual key colors only seems to let me pick from a palette of 24 pre-selected colors. I assume I'm missing something, since the keyboard's advertisement says "Each key is programmable with...independent per-key backlighting in full 16.8 million colors".

Anyone have any guidance on how to get more flexible configurability there?

Thanks!

Hey, so I don't have the RGB version, I have the MX version of this keyboard. As a result, I don't actually have the software in front of me to troubleshoot or anything. However, looking at this review might help. Around the 5:50 mark, the guy does an overview of the Lighting mechanics of the software. Hope that helps!

Comment

Look's Like You're Right

I got my KM780 RGB today, and I was wondering the same thing! After doing some searching, it looks like you can only get the 16.8 million colors with the effect lighting. When you're creating individual key colors, like you said, you only get to pick from the 24 available colors. My guess is that as time progresses more customization will become available in the software. I hope they add the individual key customization soon

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Saligiad and ArchPhoenix. Yeah it really does appear as though you can only pick custom colors for the lighting effects, not for the individual per-key lighting.

This seems like quite the shortcoming to me, and to be honest rather like deceptive advertising. They specifically describe the feature thusly:
        Fully Programmable Keys & Per-key RGB Backlighting
        Each key is programmable with its own key function or macros, as well as independent per-key backlighting in full 16.8 million colors and lighting patterns options for the ultimate customization experience.

Everyone raised a fuss about the Corsair k70 RGB only actually allowing 512 colors instead of the advertised 16.8 mil, but 512 still puts the KM780 RGB to shame with its (per-key) 24.

If I'd realized this limitation, along with the fact that you seemingly can't set the per-key colors and also apply a lighting effect on top, I'd probably have gone with a second Corsair model instead. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed with software/firmware updates, and my regret won't have to persist long! The keyboard itself does seem about as well-made as the Corsairs.

Comment

Hi there!

We're working towards improving the per-key color customization (for customizable RGB value input) in future versions of the software. There's quite a few features we're working on adding or improving (and this is one of them), so check back once in a while for software updates!

Full RGB color support is indeed available on the effect lighting profiles.

Comment

the lack of "independent per-key backlighting in full 16.8 million colors" was a huge disappointment for me after reading that statement many times in the advertisements and descriptions made by G.Skill.
            almost feels like being conned into a purchase when this was a huge selling point for me.
            MSI Z97 KRAIT | i7-4790K 4.6GHz \ Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme | G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2400 2x4GB | PCS+ 8GB R9 290X | SSDs: 720GB | HDs: 11TB | beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w | Anidees AI Crystal | Logitech G600 \ Corsair M95 | G.Skill KM780 RGB (Red) | Corsair Gaming VOID 7.1 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Lenovo IdeaPad G780

Comment

This customization will be added in a version update. Please be rest assured that it IS coming.

Comment

I really hope it comes soon! I've been anxiously awaiting a software update for months since I bought mine last year. The sub-par lighting customization is the only reason I don't suggest others to buy it right now... I was really hoping that we'd have the semblance of what competitors are offering nowadays.

Buuuut, as long as you're being honest I'll trust in you :P

Comment

Yes I've been holding off on writing a review of the keyboard, trying to give them time to come through with the promised color selection possibilities. I'll probably just go ahead and leave one and try to be disciplined enough to update it when/if the improvement arrives.

I understand this stuff happens even when designers and engineers have the best of intentions, and I don't want to assume G.Skill is guilty of ongoing shadiness just because Corsair was (in an eerily similar situation). It really does seem to be a good overall keyboard (though so is/was Corsair's) -- it would just be nice to be told up front when they're having problems delivering on advertising claims.

It also does seem irresponsible for the product descriptions everywhere to still read "Each key is programmable with its own key function or macros, as well as independent per-key backlighting in full 16.8 million colors", after 6 months of this not being true. People should know what they're buying. I know it's a pain to change that stuff, but it would show goodwill.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
                    This customization will be added in a version update. Please be rest assured that it IS coming.
                    are there demo releases we can opt into?
                    much rather deal with some buggy beta updates than with the current RGB static lighting issues.
                    MSI Z97 KRAIT | i7-4790K 4.6GHz \ Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme | G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2400 2x4GB | PCS+ 8GB R9 290X | SSDs: 720GB | HDs: 11TB | beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w | Anidees AI Crystal | Logitech G600 \ Corsair M95 | G.Skill KM780 RGB (Red) | Corsair Gaming VOID 7.1 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Lenovo IdeaPad G780

Comment

Thank you, GObonzo, for your interest in trying out our software. Unfortunately, there is currently no beta program for the software at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X