F5-5600J2834F32G unstable with xmp enabled at 5600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F5-5600J2834F32G unstable with xmp enabled at 5600

13th Gen Intel(R) Core (TM) i9-13900KF running on a ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI with two F5-5600J2834F32GX2-TZ5RK occupying A2 and B2 slots.

Built this system last Friday the 9th. First tried xmp 1 and booted and tried xmp 2. Failed to boot and went back to xmp 1. This was the only change in the BIOS (version 0703) that I have made besides setting up the fans.

I was satisfied with these settings as I wanted to get back up and running. Gamed on on it the whole weekend. Sunday night came and exited a game and then the hard locks started happening.

I tried running XMP 1 with adjusted voltage settings of 1.34, 1.37 and 1.4 to no improvement, continued hard lock ups. At this point once again restored bios optimized defaults. Set xmp but with speed set at 5400. Everything is running fine now with the adjusted memory speed.

Did training happen on the motherboard which might be causing this issue? I have also set XMP2 @ 5400 and the system is running stable.

Bottom line: I transitioned from AMD and this is my first Intel system in a decade and I just want a nice system. I am not going to get crazy into OC'n anymore. Just looking to troubleshoot to see if I can get this memory to run at its rated speed.

Appreciate any help,
    Scott

Try one at a time in A2 slot to see if one performs differently. If one does, send them in for a replacement set. The memory kit should be able to run at full speed with XMP enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Try one at a time in A2 slot to see if one performs differently. If one does, send them in for a replacement set. The memory kit should be able to run at full speed with XMP enabled.
      Tried each stick individually in the A2 slot. I was hoping that at least one would be fine, but it looks like they are both failing at the 5600 speed. Within couple minutes, Win11 locks up.

Question: With the RMA process I would end up sending the memory in which would leave me without a computer I am guessing? or does GSKILL send replacement first and then I ship the old memory in?

If I lose my PC I would rather just ship them back to Amazon after I order another set through Amazon first.

Thanks for your help,
      Scott

EDIT: Ended purchasing these F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5K 64 GB of mem was overkill anyways and if these run at the rated speed, im all for it. will return the other ones once I get the new mem.

Last edited by probzz; 12-14-2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Original memory must be received by G.Skill for replacement. Let us know how it goes with the new set.

Comment

Best I can do is 5800 with this new set. I have disconnected any hardware and am running pure PC components.

Kinda makes sense that I can push slightly higher speeds given that they are 16GB sticks and not 32GB anymore. I didn't have my hopes up to high in running at the rated speed for XMP.

I have tried runnning Fastboot/MRC Fastboot disabled in order to try to retrain to no difference. Windows will boot up and always locks up solid about 45 seconds or so once running. I am not sure what is happening in that time frame, but the system doesn't like it.

Also running beta bios 0810 over the current 0703. That didn't help. I know with AMD we had agesa updates that could help with memory timings, is that the same with intel?

I'm set to auto notify from a vendor on the asus 790 apex Motherboard. lol Maybe I will give that a try when more get in stock. Then again, it could be the cpu limiting me also?

It's becoming a vendetta in wanting to run at the rated speed for the XMP profile. So terrible, thought I would be satisfied with just having a PC to game on, but I find myself wanting more now.

Holidays are almost here and I wish you all the best.

Take care,
          Scott

Comment

The latest BIOS should have all the proper updates. If the motherboard is working normally, it should be fine. Would have to lean towards trying another CPU first since there is a greater chance of variance in quality.

With that kind of hardware you should be able to get a little better than the current results so it's definitely normal to want more.

Happy Holidays

Comment

Up and running at 6400 xmp with tweaked settings per the beta bios(0810).

The significant change that was made: CPU System Agent set to offset to VID and left at "auto".
              I was playing with voltages and noticed the one voltage that would cause the system not to post was the CPU System Agent. Now this is what is the memory controller in the CPU, correct? Seems like I can't really push any higher voltage than normal? anything over 1.3 and PC wont post. I didn't really want to push anything higher as fear of possible damage.

One thing that I mentioned earlier was how the PC would boot fine every time and within a certain amount of time, it would hard lock. Im guessing that hard lock was occurring when the PC was going down to a idle state. That setting an offset now is applying more of a proper voltage when the PC is idling? This is only a guess on my part.

So, this begs the question. Is this i9-13900KF no good and should I replace it? Im guessing the memory controller in it could be having voltage issues. Like I said originally, PC ran great for 3 days and then it started locking up all of a sudden.

Appreciate any feedback, its just nice to be running at that XMP speed. So I'm happy there,
              Scott

EDIT: 12/29 Still stable at 6400 after enabled CPU System Agent offset.
              Last edited by probzz; 12-29-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X