• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident Z Lighting Control Beta Releases

Trident Z Lighting Control
    v1.00.26
    https://www.gskill.com/gskill-device/...l-v1.00.26.zip

This version resolves the Known Issue in v1.00.24beta, as well as the following fix:

Changelog:
    - Disabled logging to disk

We're still looking into the memory usage when External Sync/Razer Chroma is enabled.

==========

This is a beta version that should be able to fix the hid.exe high CPU usage issue. In most of the cases, it looked like the audio driver was still being accessed even when Music Mode was not enabled, causing CPU usage. Due to known issues that is present in this version, we will not be releasing this as an official version. You can install this beta version to try out if the CPU usage will return to normal.

Once the known issues have been fixed, we will release an official version on the official G.SKILL website download page.

Trident Z Lighting Control
    v1.00.24 beta
    https://www.gskill.com/gskill-device/....00.24beta.zip

Changelog:
    - Added "Run at Startup" option in installer
    - Fixed CPU usage caused by audio driver access when Music Mode is disabled
    - Fixed bug where LED lights will not resume after waking up from sleep mode

Known Issues:
    - Toggling "Sync to LED 1" will cause the selected lighting effect to jump to previously applied lighting effect. (Workaround: Select the desired lighting effect, click "Apply", then toggle "Sync to LED 1".)
    Last edited by G.SKILL; 08-31-2021, 12:10 AM.

It’s great that the high CPU usage is getting looked into and fixed. I currently don’t have the g.skill app installed at all. Just one question though, when you have the app installed and you put your computer to sleep, does the RAM RGB turn off? Without any RGB software RGB stays on. With RGB Fusion you can set to turn RGB off but I’m not sure about gskill software.

Comment

Originally posted by AeroZ View Post
      It’s great that the high CPU usage is getting looked into and fixed. I currently don’t have the g.skill app installed at all. Just one question though, when you have the app installed and you put your computer to sleep, does the RAM RGB turn off? Without any RGB software RGB stays on. With RGB Fusion you can set to turn RGB off but I’m not sure about gskill software.
      Whether or not the LED on the memory module stay lit in standby/sleep mode depends on the applied lighting effect. If it's one of the standard/defaults (e.g. Rainbow, Static, Breathing, Cycle, Strobing), then it'll continue to stay lit. If it's one of the other lighting effects (e.g. Glowing Yoyo, etc.), then it'll turn off during sleep/standby.

If you want to disable the LED via the Trident Z Lighting Control software, then yes, there is a "LED OFF" option located on the upper right side of the software. This will instruct the software to tell the memory modules to turn off the LED lights whenever the software is running.

Comment

Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post

Whether or not the LED on the memory module stay lit in standby/sleep mode depends on the applied lighting effect. If it's one of the standard/defaults (e.g. Rainbow, Static, Breathing, Cycle, Strobing), then it'll continue to stay lit. If it's one of the other lighting effects (e.g. Glowing Yoyo, etc.), then it'll turn off during sleep/standby.

If you want to disable the LED via the Trident Z Lighting Control software, then yes, there is a "LED OFF" option located on the upper right side of the software. This will instruct the software to tell the memory modules to turn off the LED lights whenever the software is running.
        Would be technologically possible for you to make the Trident control software disable the RGB effects no matter which effect is being used automatically when the computer enters sleep mode and resume when it wakes up? Same way as RGB Fusion does. I don't think anybody wants to keep the lighting going when they don't use the computer.

Comment

If you use "LED OFF" in the Trident Z Lighting Control to turn off the lighting, it'll stay off during sleep/standby mode.

We understand your point. We'll bring this point to the development team to see if it's possible. If it is, we'll put it in a future software update.

Thank you for your feedback and input.

Comment

If you use "LED OFF" in the Trident Z Lighting Control to turn off the lighting, it'll stay off during sleep/standby mode.

We understand your point. We'll bring this point to the development team to see if it's possible. If it is, we'll put it in a future software update.

Thank you for your feedback and input.
            Thanks

Comment

Thank you for posting this beta for the trident z software. I can report that my CPU usage is down from over 10% to around 1-2%. However I must say, for my brand new 5950x, a 16 physical core CPU this is still very high. This app is using more CPU cycles than literally everything else running, including Opera with over 20 tabs and Plex playing a 1080p video (not included in this screenshot). Also please note the high power usage... I use this app to connect to synapse 3 for the chroma connect feature and that is it. Please take a second look and see if you can bring it down closer to the sub 1% range for it's final release. Please and thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-20 000914.png
Views:	8000
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	166526

Comment

Few hours of testing and I haven't had any issues with high CPU usage anymore. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by oxideous View Post
                  Thank you for posting this beta for the trident z software. I can report that my CPU usage is down from over 10% to around 1-2%. However I must say, for my brand new 5950x, a 16 physical core CPU this is still very high. This app is using more CPU cycles than literally everything else running, including Opera with over 20 tabs and Plex playing a 1080p video (not included in this screenshot). Also please note the high power usage... I use this app to connect to synapse 3 for the chroma connect feature and that is it. Please take a second look and see if you can bring it down closer to the sub 1% range for it's final release. Please and thank you.
                  Out of curiosity, would the Trident Z Lighting Control still use 1.9% if you End Task the Razer Synapse Service on your system?
                  Which lighting effect are you using?
                  And are each module set individually or all synced to one lighting effect?
                  Finally, does this CPU usage start on a fresh restart? If it doesn't, it would be very helpful to see which other program(s) would trigger this 1.9% usage.

On our test platforms, we're seeing 0% to 0.1% usage, so there might be other aspects of the software that still needs optimizing for specific environments.

Comment

Out of curiosity, would the Trident Z Lighting Control still use 1.9% if you End Task the Razer Synapse Service on your system?
                    Which lighting effect are you using?
                    And are each module set individually or all synced to one lighting effect?
                    Finally, does this CPU usage start on a fresh restart? If it doesn't, it would be very helpful to see which other program(s) would trigger this 1.9% usage.

On our test platforms, we're seeing 0% to 0.1% usage, so there might be other aspects of the software that still needs optimizing for specific environments.
                    Thank you for replying. I just did some tests with synapse. First I put on a "No Lights" preset, everything is dark. Cpu remains the same. Then I disabled chroma connect inside of synapse, cpu remained roughly the same. Finally I closed synapse (and all other razer apps) and it remained about the same once more.

I then disabled external sync inside the G skill app. The CPU usage plummeted down to almost 0. Razer Synapse is still off at this point. If I turn Synapse back on, CPU usage remains low until I reenable external sync inside G Skill app.

Here are my specs in case they are helpful:

Ryzen 9 5950x
                    Asrock Taichi x570 Razer Edition
                    64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
                    Nvidia RTX 3090FE
                    2TB Sabrent NVME PCIE 4.0

All of my lighting is controlled by 100% by Synapse except for the ram which requires the G Skill app for the chroma connect.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to answer your other questions. This happens on a fresh restart and my 4 dims of ram are all synced together (i think???). The Ram shows up as 1 device in Synapse, but does show 4 dots I presume representing each stick of ram.
                    Last edited by oxideous; 03-23-2021, 08:01 AM.

Comment

All of my lighting is controlled by 100% by Synapse except for the ram which requires the G Skill app for the chroma connect.
                      Yeah, that would likely be the main reason. The way the connection with Razer Synapse works is by opening a channel so that the Trident Z Lighting Control software is constantly looking to receive data from the Razer Synapse software, which sends the lighting data to the TZLC software. This means the TZLC has to receive and translate the lighting data from the Razer software for the LED controllers on the Trident Z modules, resulting in a little extra processing.

Because of how it works, we will unlikely be improve on the efficiency of this processing.

And yes, Razer Studio supports up to 4 lighting zones for each Chroma Connected device.

Comment

Yeah, that would likely be the main reason. The way the connection with Razer Synapse works is by opening a channel so that the Trident Z Lighting Control software is constantly looking to receive data from the Razer Synapse software, which sends the lighting data to the TZLC software. This means the TZLC has to receive and translate the lighting data from the Razer software for the LED controllers on the Trident Z modules, resulting in a little extra processing.

Because of how it works, we will unlikely be improve on the efficiency of this processing.

And yes, Razer Studio supports up to 4 lighting zones for each Chroma Connected device.
                        I appreciate you looking into this. I realize that since I appear to be the only one reporting 1-2% CPU usage on this beta it likely is not a high priority for G.Skill to continue investigating. However improving the performance is important to me because it is just too high for a lighting utility. Remember I am using a 16 core CPU with 32 thread.

I want to clarify what I said earlier, the CPU usage is high when external sync is on in the TZLC software regardless of the status of Synapse (on/off/uninstalled). I don't use iCue but I suspect this would be the same if I was on that platform. While I am writing this, I have a fairly intense animated theme running (motherboard, fans, aio, case, ram, mouse, keyboard, mousemat, mouse dock, usb hub) and Synapse itself is using 0.4% while TZLC is using upwards of 2%. When all the lights are OFF synapse will go to near 0 and TZLC will remain the same.

Synapse is controlling the entire thing at 20% of the CPU utilization of TZLC. That is 9x fans + 8 other devices excluding the ram. Hundreds of LEDs compared to the 20 found in the ram.

How often is TCLZ polling for updates? It seems very extreme to be using this many cycles when there is nothing coming down the pipe. If it were only happening on actual animations I would be more willing to accept this, but even with no data transfer from synapse TZLC CPU is high. Does synapse provide events you can hook into? Is there a way to cache the animation?

While I don't interface with hardware directly and I'm sure there are some caveats I do not understand, I do work professionally as a software developer and am willing to help and test in any way I can to solve this issue. This is also why I think whatever is going on with TZLC is inefficient.

Finally, I really don't mean to be a pain or appear combative. I just want to get solve this problem for myself and any other users who may deal with something like this in the future. Thank you for taking the time to read through this.

Comment

oxideous Can you provide a screenshot of the Task Manager > Performance > CPU > Logical Processor View, as well as of the Processes tab that shows TZLC and Synpase's CPU usage? We'll pass these along to our software team to see if they're able to do anything about what you've mentioned.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I have had some personal matters to attend to over the past few days.

Here are the requested screenshots. I would also like to point out a few more things I have noticed.

There is a non stop disk write, it NEVER ends. I am very concerned this will shorten the lifespan of my drive. I believe I saw someone mention this in the original bug thread about TZLC constantly writing to the registry?

The other issue is a definite memory leak. Upon starting the app it will use about 2-3mb. As you can see in some of the shots it climbed to over a GB. I suspect it would keep going if I let it.

Please let me know if I can assist in any other way.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I have had some personal matters to attend to over the past few days.

Here are the requested screenshots. I would also like to point out a few more things I have noticed.

There is a non stop disk write, it NEVER ends. I am very concerned this will shorten the lifespan of my drive. I believe I saw someone mention this in the original bug thread about TZLC constantly writing to the registry?

The other issue is a definite memory leak. Upon starting the app it will use about 2-3mb. As you can see in some of the shots it climbed to over a GB. I suspect it would keep going if I let it.

Please let me know if I can assist in any other way.
                              You mean the constant 0,1MB/s? I have that as well. But I don't have the constant CPU usage nor Memory leak.
                              Regarding the constant disk write I suspect it might be related to the Trident Z Lighting Control_Config.log file under C:\LOG. It seems that TZL constantly logs events. The log file size for me currently is 400MB. Watching it in Explorer's details view it just rises and rises.
                              Code:
                              18:03:33:002 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:017 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:033 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:048 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:064 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:080 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:096 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:111 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:127 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:143 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:158 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:173 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:189 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:204 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:220 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:236 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:251 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:267 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:283 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:298 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:314 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:329 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:344 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:360 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:375 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:391 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:407 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:422 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:437 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:453 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:469 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:484 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:499 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:514 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:529 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:545 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:561 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:577 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:592 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:606 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:622 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:637 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:653 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:669 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:684 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:700 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:715 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:730 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:746 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:761 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:777 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:791 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:807 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:822 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:838 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:853 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:869 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:884 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:900 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:915 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:930 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:946 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:962 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:978 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              18:03:33:994 :: VisThread(m_UpdateFlag=0)
                              This is just one second.

Can we disable the logging somehow?
                              Last edited by AeroZ; 03-29-2021, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X