SteelSeries Engine + TridentZ's RGB Lighting Controller = HIGH CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteelSeries Engine + TridentZ's RGB Lighting Controller = HIGH CPU

I have an i5-9600K on an MSI Z390-A Pro and the sticks are 2x8=16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 (PC4-25600) 3200 Mhz (16-18-18-38).

For 2+ years everything was fine with G.Skill's Trident Z RGB lighting controller and my rig. Now (all of the sudden) the process is eating ~25% of my CPU in taskbar (idle, gaming or w/e).

I've done a lot of research but haven't found a solution. What I have found out so far it has something to do with SteelSeries Engine 3 (specifically the hardware drivers for the headset 'Arctis 7 2019 Edition'), I can not simultaneously have installed TridentZ lighting hid and SteelSeries Engine 3 (or the drivers for the headset), or the CPU eats that 25% of the process.

As any user of Arctis 7 headset they know it has two outputs; 'Arctis 7 Game' and 'Arctis 7 Chat', while 'Game' output is the main channel and 'Chat' isn't meant for your audio output.

So if I have those two programs installed (SteelSeries Engine & TridentZ's RGB lighting controller) and select from audio mixer the 'Arctis 7 Game', no audio is heard at all from my system AND ALSO EVERYTHING ON MY SCREEN IS 0.1 frames per second (watching YouTube, gaming, moving the cursor on desktop), and as soon as I switch to Arctis 7 Chat, (which is worse than 'Game' (NORMALLY)) the lag is GONE.

It also seemed to interfere with Corsair's iCUE software.

If having those two programs installed (SteelSeries Engine & TridentZ's RGB lighting controller) and I task-kill the TridentZ's RGB lighting controller other processes (Wallpaper Engine & DisplayFusion) both go to 25% CPU - then if I kill those it's W10 processes like 'System', 'Windows Problem Reporting' or Windows remote procedure call processes go into high CPU usage.

Before I knew the problem is with SteelSeries Engine (and/or its drivers for Arctis 7), iCUE, Wallpaper Engine or w/e. I have tried to use another GPU, the integrated GPU, installed clean W10 over ten times over, I bought the same exact MOBO as a replacement, tried every RAM slot with every possible combination with my two sticks, used Windows Memory Diagnostic tool for three times, nothing. and a lot of researching and being paranoid if I have a back door (for malware like BitCoin miner or smth) in any of my hard drives or in any cache/memory of any PC component like CPU, GPU, the ram sticks, the MOBO... - - - SINCE THE LAST THREE MONTHS.

I also get this error prompt from SteelSeries Engine 3's software when you install the "Additional software for this device is required..." for the Arctis 7/(2019 Edition) headset while also having the Trident Z RGB controller installed.

"The core process SteelSeriesEngine3.exe does not seem to be running. Please make sure you are launching the software using the shortcut in the start menu. If you have pinned the application to your taskbar or start menu, please check that you have pinned that shortcut rather than pinning a link to SteelSeriesEngine3Client.exe"

Some pictures too: https://imgur.com/a/6hTfv0b

SteelSeries Engine - check installed although I use Arctis Pro Wireless
    Corsair's iCUE software - check installed and controls my ASUS lighting, my keyboard and mouse.
    G.Skill's TridentZ lighting - check installed and controls my G.Skill lighting.
    Windows 10 Pro 2004 - check installed and working.

IDK what is the cause of your issue as I don't have the issue across multiple systems abet AMD Ryzen.
    I would actually suspect Intel BIOS updates / forced within Windows might be the cause / thing to check out if might be the root cause. But I doubt the software or combination is the root cause.

Last edited by RedSector; 08-16-2020, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X