Trident Z lighting control high CPU usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident Z lighting control high CPU usage

In my system i have a 9900k CPU and 4*8gb gskill tridentZ rgb 3200 on windows 10. The lighting on the ram is being controlled by the tridentZ lighting control app v1.00.08.

So my problem is the software will start using relatively large amounts of CPU processing, around 8% to 15% (of a 9900k). As far as I'm concerned this software sets the colour for 20 rgb LEDs at startup and that's it. So its concerning when the software is consistently utilising high amounts of CPU.

Here's a screen capture of task manager showing the software using more of the CPU than a game i play, warframe.
    https://imgur.com/a/MxUraZs

If I pick up on the usage (usually notice it by the fans stepping up to cool the CPU when the computer should be idling) the software can just be ended and then its fine until the computers restarted. So the fix is simple but at this point it's just annoy and concerning to why its doing this.

So my question for this situation is why is this happening, is there a way to stop it randomly using the CPU or some other workaround for the lighting software.

I've noticed this happening also on occasion with my Neos (4x8GB CL16-19-19 sticks). I only use static color settings because A) I don't like rainbow unicorn RGB, and B) static settings don't use any system resources, or at least shouldn't. I don't know what causes this, but just now I installed iCue for my mouse and admittedly to see if Corsair has improved their software any since I last used it long ago. When I checked task manager, I was surprised to see that iCue wasn't using any CPU but instead GSkill's app was using 7%. I have no idea if iCue triggered something or if Lighting Control was already using that 7% cpu for some other reason.

Edit: I should note that simply closing the app from the system tray and restarting it returns to the normal situation of Lighting Control not using any resources as it sits in the background with my memory using its static settings.
    Last edited by Synner; 12-07-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curry View Post
      In my system i have a 9900k CPU and 4*8gb gskill tridentZ rgb 3200 on windows 10. The lighting on the ram is being controlled by the tridentZ lighting control app v1.00.08.

So my problem is the software will start using relatively large amounts of CPU processing, around 8% to 15% (of a 9900k). As far as I'm concerned this software sets the colour for 20 rgb LEDs at startup and that's it. So its concerning when the software is consistently utilising high amounts of CPU.

Here's a screen capture of task manager showing the software using more of the CPU than a game i play, warframe.
      https://imgur.com/a/MxUraZs

If I pick up on the usage (usually notice it by the fans stepping up to cool the CPU when the computer should be idling) the software can just be ended and then its fine until the computers restarted. So the fix is simple but at this point it's just annoy and concerning to why its doing this.

So my question for this situation is why is this happening, is there a way to stop it randomly using the CPU or some other workaround for the lighting software.
      Same problem here. 9700k and it's using around the same load.

Comment

I recently upgraded my modules to 2x16 3600 MHz Trident Z Royal RGB and although I am able to use G.Skill software again the issue now is that invariably within a few hours of the PC being on "hid.exe", related to the software, has some kind of CPU usage leak and typically climbs up to 8-10% of CPU (i7 8700k). That's insanely high and I need to disable the software in process explorer before using the CPU for anything.

The problem simply returns whenever I try to use the software again and the only solution is to restart the PC but that only solves the issue for a few hours.

What the **** is wrong with this software?

Windows 10 1809
        2x16 3600 MHz Trident Z Royal

Comment

I have an i5-9600K on an MSI Z390-A Pro and the sticks are 2x8=16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 (PC4-25600) 3200 Mhz (16-18-18-38).

For 2+ years everything was fine with G.Skill's Trident Z RGB lighting controller and my rig. Now (all of the sudden) the process is eating ~25% of my CPU in taskbar (idle, gaming or w/e).

I've done a lot of research but haven't found a solution. What I have found out so far it has something to do with SteelSeries Engine 3 (specifically the hardware drivers for the headset 'Arctis 7 2019 Edition'), I can not simultaneously have installed TridentZ lighting hid and SteelSeries Engine 3 (or the drivers for the headset), or the CPU eats that 25% of the process.

As any user of Arctis 7 headset they know it has two outputs; 'Arctis 7 Game' and 'Arctis 7 Chat', while 'Game' output is the main channel and 'Chat' isn't meant for your audio output.

So if I have those two programs installed (SteelSeries Engine & TridentZ's RGB lighting controller) and select from audio mixer the 'Arctis 7 Game', no audio is heard at all from my system AND ALSO EVERYTHING ON MY SCREEN IS 0.1 frames per second (watching YouTube, gaming, moving the cursor on desktop), and as soon as I switch to Arctis 7 Chat, (which is worse than 'Game' (NORMALLY)) the lag is GONE.

It also seemed to interfere with Corsair's iCUE software.

If having those two programs installed (SteelSeries Engine & TridentZ's RGB lighting controller) and I task-kill the TridentZ's RGB lighting controller other processes (Wallpaper Engine & DisplayFusion) both go to 25% CPU - then if I kill those it's W10 processes like 'System', 'Windows Problem Reporting' or Windows remote procedure call processes go into high CPU usage.

Before I knew the problem is with SteelSeries Engine (and/or its drivers for Arctis 7), iCUE, Wallpaper Engine or w/e. I have tried to use another GPU, the integrated GPU, installed clean W10 over ten times over, I bought the same exact MOBO as a replacement, tried every RAM slot with every possible combination with my two sticks, used Windows Memory Diagnostic tool for three times, nothing. and a lot of researching and being paranoid if I have a back door (for malware like BitCoin miner or smth) in any of my hard drives or in any cache/memory of any PC component like CPU, GPU, the ram sticks, the MOBO... - - - SINCE THE LAST THREE MONTHS.

Comment

I just noticed the same problem. "Trident Z Lighting Control Hid (32 bit)" aka "hid.exe" is taking up 9-13% of my CPU (i5-10600K).

I haven't tried any troubleshooting yet since I just noticed it but this topic was the first thing I found when I went looking for information about it. It would be nice to hear a response from G.Skill about why their software is eating up an unreasonable amount of CPU cycles.

Other info: Windows 10 Home 1909, Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4-3600 kit running on an Asus Tuf gaming Z490 motherboard. At the same time, I have some LED strips running via Corsair iCue which is only using 0.0-0.1% of my CPU. I do not have any SteelSeries hardware or software, but I do have some Logitech devices controlled by G Hub

Comment

Came to the forum today searching for this exact topic. I've been noticing my AIO fans spinning faster than should be needed. Looking at Windows Processes in Task Manager, it's the Trident Z Lighting Control software using double digit in CPU. This is bizarre. There is nothing at all for it to be doing. I have my sticks set to solid/off.

Comment

​The only way to solve this problem is to kill the hid.exe process. The RAM lighting configuration will still keep on working without it.

Here are some screenshots about the issue: Running hid.exe

Click image for larger version  Name:	hid_exe_running.png Views:	0 Size:	238.7 KB ID:	165833

And now killing the process:

Click image for larger version  Name:	hid_exe_stopped.png Views:	0 Size:	190.9 KB ID:	165834
                This issue should get some priority as it will literally cost money when the CPU is using power for nothing. It's also generating heat and unnecessary wear on parts.

Specs: AMD 5900X, RTX 3080 MSI Trio, MSI x570 wifi Tomahawk, F4-3600C16D-32GTZN Trident Z Neo, Lighting Control v1.00.22​

1.00.22 did not fix this issue. It persisted in 1.00.18 as well
                Last edited by Sakujo; 12-06-2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

OK, I'm having the same issue. Version 10018. I noticed Trident using CPU after coming out of sleep mode. What I did was kill the process, then restart Trident, and problem solved. I'm also using a moving RAM lighting option. However, this should not happen.

Comment

Killing the process does solve it only temporarily. After rebooting the system this issue will come back. This is not a fix!

I do understand though that because of Covid and holidays this can take a few days.
                    But since this thread is from 2019. I expect them to fix this soon or else I'll return the RAM.

Easily doable as I have proof that G.Skill is not responding or caring about this issue and their part of the purchase deal. Working RGB RAM, which it currently doesn't. Massively increased power consumption, heat generation, wear on parts and no support is not part of the deal. Especially since the RAM rgb will sometimes stop working or not be in sync anymore. This is very likely related to this bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakujo View Post
                      Killing the process does solve it only temporarily. After rebooting the system this issue will come back. This is not a fix!

I do understand though that because of Covid and holidays this can take a few days.
                      But since this thread is from 2019. I expect them to fix this soon or else I'll return the RAM.

Easily doable as I have proof that G.Skill is not responding or caring about this issue and their part of the purchase deal. Working RGB RAM, which it currently doesn't. Massively increased power consumption, heat generation, wear on parts and no support is not part of the deal. Especially since the RAM RGB will sometimes stop working or not be in sync anymore. This is very likely related to this bug.
                      I just checked, and it's still only using 0.1% after a reboot. Coming out of sleep increases it for some reason. I'm seeing service related problems through all industry. I'm trying to get an appointment for a medical procedure and can't get through due to Covid 19.

Two week ago I had to call Whirlpool to get my fridge replaced, and I was literally on hold off and on throughout 4 days for 7.5 hours. The last time I was on hold for 2:15 minutes, and FINALLY got through. The tech said that it was Covid19 and they were swamped 12 hours a day trying to process warranty calls.

But yeah, if it's from 2019, that's not good. I almost went with some white RGB Corsair RAM, but when i was ready to order and build me rig, it wasn't in stock - Early this year right after Covid hit. The Trident RGB was about the only thing I could get. I also had the Silicon Power RGB RAM picked out, but again, not available. I'm happy with the GSkill RAM, but would rather have had the white do go with my build.

Here is a shot of it in all white lighting. You can see the G Skill RAM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201103_081956983.jpg
Views:	6454
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	166016

Comment

btt: This bug doesn't happen right away. Sometimes it takes an hour or two, sometimes it takes 8 hours til it suddenly will occurs. I do use the PC for gaming and rendering stuff, sometimes I don't notice it right away, as it's only easily spottable when the PC is on idle. Sometimes I have it three times a day. Sometimes not at all. On average at least once a day.
                        I don't always remember if I did already kill the process. But I'm about 80% sure that killing the process at least once, will solve it til a reboot. This goes so far as that I found someone who wrote a script (I don't have it or the link anymore sadly), to kill the hid.exe on every boot. I might look into this. I'm sure this CPU load issue does slow down my work, which is unacceptable for an RGB software.

I don't expect immediate action, acknowledging it by G.Skill and working towards a fix is all I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakujo View Post
                          btt: This bug doesn't happen right away. Sometimes it takes an hour or two, sometimes it takes 8 hours til it suddenly will occurs. I do use the PC for gaming and rendering stuff, sometimes I don't notice it right away, as it's only easily spottable when the PC is on idle. Sometimes I have it three times a day. Sometimes not at all. On average at least once a day.
                          I don't always remember if I did already kill the process. But I'm about 80% sure that killing the process at least once, will solve it til a reboot. This goes so far as that I found someone who wrote a script (I don't have it or the link anymore sadly), to kill the hid.exe on every boot. I might look into this. I'm sure this CPU load issue does slow down my work, which is unacceptable for an RGB software.

I don't expect immediate action, acknowledging it by G.Skill and working towards a fix is all I want.
                          I've been monitoring it for hours and it's never grabbed CPU clocks again. It did do it, though, so I can confirm it. However, for me, it was only on a wake after sleep. Killing the process and restarting fixed it for me.

I'm using Trident Z RGB for AMD.

Comment

I can most definitely say I'm having this issue. I believe it was using about 8 percent of the CPU (AMD 5950x) and I'm glad I finally figured it out. Why my CPU was idling high was bothering me for a week. I'm hoping this is resolved on the next version of the software.

Comment

5900x, and I was seeing the same idle issue, and I never put two and two together until now: I havent seen the problem for weeks, and thats around the time I uninstalled Lighting Control (Forced to solid red for entertainment)

Comment

Working...
                              X