Returning faulty memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning faulty memory

Apologies for the very long read. I will try to keep it brief. This is my story on returning faulty memory.

PC screen freezes often. Tested my G.Skill memory in Memtest86. One memory module has lots of errors. Other is OK.
    I contacted G.Skill and got an RMA#. G.Skill advise to write "No commercial value. For RMA only". I live in N. Ireland, UK. Unfortunately due to Brexit G.Skill ask me to ship to Taiwan.
    Only couriers in UK I know of are Royal Mail, UPS and DHL.
    Royal Mail not shipping internationally due to cyberattack on their systems.
    DHL just state when I try to apply online that destination is not supported.
    UPS online shipping system after I put in value ( I valued at todays price for £150. Memory cost me £180 in 2020) in the customs invoice wants G.Skill to pay import duty, which they should not have to pay obviously. I contact UPS for advice and they advise me to ask G.Skill to pay them to send me a prepaid shipping label. I think about this and decide to try and ship using UPS and put in value of £0.01 in customs declaration so no import duty is due. I give full details on the customs invoice of the shipment stating that it is faulty PC memory and "No commercial value. RMA only as advised by G.Skill" and that I had bought it for £180 in 2020. I put both modules in original box into a small box and sent it off a few days ago. Shipping costs me £43. Parcel gets as far as England and UPS have rang me today asking why I wrote £0.01 as customs value. So I explain everything to them. UPS customer rep said she will make a note of the phone conversation. I wonder now if they will ship it or not?

Edit: all is good. UPS shipped memory and it arrived with G.Skill today - 20th Feb.

Edit 2: I received replacement memory today - 10th March. Both modules were replaced and are dated March 2023. I didn't have to pay shipping costs back to me nor import or UK VAT duty!

Thank you, G.Skill!
    Last edited by DrStrange; 03-10-2023, 09:20 AM.
Working...
X