F4-4000C18D-32GVK failing on MSI Z690

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4-4000C18D-32GVK failing on MSI Z690

I have four 16GB modules (2x F4-4000C18D-32GVK) on my MSI MPG Z690 EDGE motherboard with latest BIOS, and I've had this setup since December 2021.

I've never been able to get them to work at XMP 4000 speed (it would boot, but memtest86 was failing), so I've been keeping them at non-XMP 2666 speed, which was the only way that memtest86 would pass -- annoying, but not too big a deal, since these modules were technically not on the QVL of the motherboard, although the motherboard is on the QVL of g.skill.

So then a few days ago, on a whim, I tried again to make XMP work, and I still couldn't. But then, when I changed the settings back to non-XMP, memtest86 was still failing! Even after resetting all BIOS settings to defaults, there were still errors in memtest86, even on the initial non-exhaustive tests. I tested each of the four sticks individually, and each one was producing errors. I haven't been seeing crashes in Windows, but I'm glad I caught these failures now.

Is it possible that all four modules have gone bad? Is it time for an RMA? I'm not a huge expert in troubleshooting or tweaking any clock settings, so are there any BIOS tweaks to try? My BIOS is up to date, but is it possible for BIOS updates to have regressions in memory compatibility?

Have to assume there is an issue with them if not one module can work properly. Send them in for replacement to see if new ones can work better:

https://www.gskill.com/rma-policy

Comment

Working...
    X