where to put an additional (external) temperature sensor on the memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to put an additional (external) temperature sensor on the memory

Where to put an additional (external) temperature sensor on the memory (F4-4000C16-16GTRSA) - it is about accurate temperature monitoring. The sensor is on the cable of the size of the match head. The second question is what can you attach it to? maybe a micro drop of thermal glue? I have two such sensors.I wouldn't like to take my memory bones apart.

In most cases you would want to know the temperature of the actual ICs. However these are fully covered by the heatspreaders. To not void your warranty, don't remove the heatspreaders and don't apply thermal glue to the modules.

Have you already checked, if there are DIMM_TS reported in HWInfo64?

While these are not guaranteed, many Trident Z models have those sensors. They report temperatures from the PCB surface, which is good enough to monitor any potential temperature issue and improve cooling/airflow, in case there actually are temperature related instabilities.

Best Regards
    Cody

Comment

As previously mentioned, I do not want to unscrew anything. I have the temperatures shown by CPUID from 31 to 48 (with XPM) - this is on the default settings. I'd like to play with OC a bit and turn on XMP. As for additional temperature sensors, my motherboard has two that are unused, so I thought that I would use them here. As for the thermal glue (melted plastic), I initially wanted to put a micro drop on the metal housing that would hold the thermoprobe - why is this a bad idea? I apologize for the mistakes in the language.

I will ask differently: which area of ddr4 and on which side is the warmest?
      Last edited by duo21; 05-23-2022, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Try HWInfo64 instead of CPUID HWMonitor. On all modern platforms it should show many additional sensors, including DIMM_TS if present. It also is fully configurable, so you can rearrange or hide certain entries, that you are not interested in.

Which side of the modules gets warmer depends on your CPU cooler and case airflow. With most air coolers you would see lower temperatures on the CPU side of the first module, while the backside of the second module is the warmest. However with water cooling and/or good airflow from the front (multiple large intake fans), that can actually be reversed.

If you absolutely need to add sensors, just make sure you don't void warranty: So no removal/modifications of the heatspreaders, label etc and everything you do has to be fully reversible.

Best Regards
        Cody

Comment

Working...
        X