g skill trident z neo corrupted spd ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g skill trident z neo corrupted spd ?

so last week(19/11/2021) i got all my pieces to assemble my new pc...
    intel i7 11700K
    MSI Z590 Gaming carbon
    MSI 3080 trio X
    MSI A850gf psu
    MSI sekira 100r case
    MSI coreliquid 240R
    samsung 980pro 2TB
    samsung 970 evo plus 1TB
    AND Gskill DDR4 Trident Z NEO 2x 16GB 3600Mhw CL 16 19 19 39

now on 20/11/2021 the new pc was completed and worked perfectly... even the g skill ram...
    the next day 21/11/2021 i used msi mystic lightning to play a little with all my msi components rgb and also razer synaps 3 for my huntsman keyboard/nagga mouse/nari headphone/nommo speakers etc...
    now synaps could take over msi mystic lights wich i used for some rgb syncing...
    later i also downloaded gskill trident z rgb programm to see what extra stuff i could do with my ram rgb...

in the evening of that same day suddenly the ram lights where out... 1 ram stick was completly out and the other ram stick had only the upper led on...
    i tryed everything deleting msi center... deleting gskill app... switched the both rams from dimm slots etc... nothing helped and 1ram stick still was completly out and the other had only 1 led left on...

i googled it and came with a thing called spd corruption... wich untill yesterday i never heard of it...
    is it a possibilty that the gskill ram is corrupted cause of multiple rgb programs(razer synaps and msi mystic lights and gskill rgb program)

i would love some info on this cause further search results are verry unclear... some say its repairable(but i am a noob not sure if i could fix that) others say to just send them back ???

my last question is if the ram is indeed corrupted and its not just bad ram sticks or bad luck... if i send them back... and they get replaced will this happen again ?
    i mean is it a know fact that msi and razer corrupt gskill ram if both are used... cause i need both working on my computer... for syncing all my rgbs !!!
    to be honest if so yes, ill just change brand... i can't rma my ram every week/month

i would love some feedback on this
    thx

Try a full reset by shutting OFF from power supply, press power button to discharge, then boot up to see if lighting can work properly in default rainbow mode. Notice if the issue follows the memory stick or slot, you can swap modules or try one at a time for troubleshooting if necessary.

For SPD corruption, you can check with utility software such as Thaiphoon Burner.

If confirmed a problem with memory LEDs, submit the RMA form online:

https://www.gskill.com/rma

Comment

Originally posted by Sylfer View Post
      i googled it and came with a thing called spd corruption... wich untill yesterday i never heard of it...
      You can check the CRC of the modules via Thaiphoon Burner like GSKILL TECH already suggested. Just make sure to exit all other programs first, that also access the SMBus. In some cases it might also be required to halt their background processes, if they are running independently of their apps. Otherwise they could interfere with the read out process and result in false positives.

Since most motherboards have SPD Writes disabled by default and they are not required for Lighting Control anymore (with only some rare exceptions), SPD corruption is not really a thing anymore. So unless you (for some reason) enabled SPD Writes in UEFI, SPD corruption is probably not the source of your issue.

In general it sounds more like a software conflict from installing more than one RGB control utility to me. Then just follow the clean uninstall guide and only install either MSI Center or Trident Z Lighting Control at the end.

my last question is if the ram is indeed corrupted and its not just bad ram sticks or bad luck... if i send them back... and they get replaced will this happen again?
      Just don't enable SPD writes in UEFI, unless you know what you are doing and it is required for a very specific use case.
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Well at the time of writting the post the computer had been powerd off for 20 - 22hours. And by that i mean removed the power cord.

the ram shows up 32gig and correct timings only the leds dont work...

GSKILL TECH
        Like my original post states i tryed swapping dimm slots or boot with only 1 ram stick and i did switch them with all power removed ! So ye power has been removed completly multiple times.
        and when i switched the ram stick, leds stayed the same... one is out complete the other only has 1 led left burning even in start up only that 1 led goes into rainbow...

I also read about thaiphoon burner... but like i also stated i am a noob... when it comes to stuff like that...
        but after i created this post i downloaded it and did test or read and alot of number and stuff appeard wich looked like chineese for me... only thing i notiched was at the lower corner an orange box stated crc error or something...

emissary42
        well like i said i am a noob... and i just read about spd... never heard of it before so i have no idea what it does or where it even is in bios... so i didnt fiddle with it... !

only thing i did change in bios is running xmp profile to use the 3600mhz speeds... and thats it... it is only one click... else i didnt change anything in the bios.

how do i acces rhat smbus thing ? I did run thaiphoon but probly with msi center running... and it gave me a crc error... also no idea what that means
        Last edited by Sylfer; 11-23-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

so i didnt fiddle with it... !
          If you did not fiddle with that specific setting, it is unlikely that SPD writes were allowed and your memory was actually damaged by some kind of software conflict.

You can find the clean-up guide here:

https://www.gskill.us/forum/forum/pr...ninstall-guide

How to test for faulty LED segments:

https://www.gskill.us/forum/forum/pr...shooting-guide

I did run thaiphoon but probly with msi center running... and it gave me a crc error... also no idea what that means
          MSI Center and other lighting or monitoring tools need to be exited and their background processes stopped, otherwise they will interfere with the read-out process and can produce false positives. In general a reported CRC errors means that the SPD data does not match the checksum. It basically confirms some SPD data to be divergent/damaged.
          Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

The thing is when i still had the gskill rgb programm... it did show me both ram... and all 8 leds... there i could configure them or change colors... but they didn't respond because only 1 of the 16 leds were on... so only that 1 led changed color...
            same on startup only that 1 led is on and goes true rainbow effect ! Ill try the stuff you linked above when i get home.

Comment

ok i did the clean up guide... nothing changed.
              i also tryed to test for faulty led.. but my problem isnt the colors... its just that 15 of the 16 leds are not working the 1 that still works does everything i tell him to do and goes rainbow mode on boot.

would it be good to try the ram sticks in my previous computer that is still here ? or did all the steps i took concluded that the ram leds are broken ?

also is there anyway i can make all 3 programs(gskill rgb/synaps3/msi center with msi lightning) run together in the future if i get new ones, without encountering this ?

Comment

Working...
              X