Just a heads up to G. Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a heads up to G. Skill

The MSI B550 Unify is also a motherboard for your QVL, not just the Unify-x version. It's like you forgot it existsed or something.

Pretty sure it was listed since launch?

https://gskill.com/configurator?page...del=1609136070
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      Pretty sure it was listed since launch?

https://gskill.com/configurator?page...del=1609136070
      The problem is none of the kits listed there you would actually buy if you have such a motherboard as I do. It's either 2x8GB which nobody should have in mid 2021 or 4 sticks to make 32gb which as you know going for 2x16gb is just far superior in every way. If there is 2x16gb listed it's like 2400C15 or 3200C16...

G. Skill just seems to forget that this board exists when it creates qvl for good 2x16gb kits such as the recent 3600 14-14-14-34 model.

Comment

These don't count?

https://gskill.com/product/165/326/1...5V32GB-(2x16GB)

Anyways, maybe you should have said so? I can't exactly read any of that from your first post (and of course did not check **all** of the supported specs).

As to why the memory support is so limited: It might be a case where the memory support at launch was really bad due to BIOS issues. That has also happened with 1st and 2nd gen ASRock or Gigabyte AM4 motherboards for example. Not sure if the B550 Unify is still available at the qualification facility for a retest, but that would probably be required at this point. However currently they might be busy with X570S or rounding out the RKL QVLs.
        Last edited by emissary42; 06-10-2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Yeah that kit would be borderline acceptable but when you compare it to some of the kits that G. Skill didn't put on the QVL it's pretty disappointing. I also know that kit isn't guaranteed to run C14 at 1.45v so it's not a good choice in trying to squeeze out performance.

I just think they forgot the Unify existed or thought people only wanted to run 4 stick configs. e.g. this is compatible: F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNA or F4-3600C14Q-32GTZRA

These are recent releases so they definitely have the board at qualification facility.

Not that I should care so much about a G. Skill QVL when the only one that matters for support from MSI is their own QVL.

Comment

Originally posted by gameinn View Post
            These are recent releases so they definitely have the board at qualification facility.
            Possible, but not necessarily the case. They could also add kits, based on their measurements of the MBs capabilities.

Not that I should care so much about a G. Skill QVL...
            It that is what you think, then why are you here?

Then maybe ask MSI to test the kits you are interested in to their QVL. From my experience however, they don't update their QVLs, unless there was a major change in overall memory support. If you don't get anywhere with them, just contact G.SKILL Tech support and ask about your specific configuration. They might be able to test and confirm it.

Comment

Well I mean I still have to care about the G. Skill QVL because if I do buy a kit and it's faulty, G. Skill won't accept the RMA for RAM that has not been tested with the motherboard. I read many reviews on Amazon about this and if it is true (which it likely is) then I'm either 1: forced to lie about the board I have or 2: order the RAM again from somewhere with a very generous return policy and give them the faulty RAM just hoping they don't log serial numbers... both preposterous but I would be forced into this due to G. Skill policy.

MSI have actually been pretty good in updating QVL on a 2-3 month basis and are currently the best. Latest RAM QVL update for MSI boards was last week of April/first week of May 2021. Gigabyte is December 2020 and Asus is November 2020. They are 5 months more recent than any other board manufacturer.

I really wanted to support G. Skill and was silently hoping they would maybe read this thread and reply in prompt manner handling my issues and concerns but they simply seem to not care. Luckily for me in the April 2021 QVL of my MSI B550 Unify they have a good dual rank 3600C14 kit I can choose from TeamGroup.

Also G. Skill if you do read this please sort your supply chain out. If you don't live in the US it's almost impossible to buy G. Skill at non scalped prices. Don't supply your RAM to scalpers like Happy Home or TRIPPODO who are selling every RAM you have at a 65% markup over RRP in every online EU store. You don't seem to have supplied Amazon themselves (the only non scalped price) any high tier RAM in months. I actually had an order in for that 3600C16 32gb kit linked above since November 2020 and it was still not shipped out from Amazon after 7-8 months.

Anyway last I will say on the subject.

Comment

MSI have actually been pretty good in updating QVL on a 2-3 month basis and are currently the best...
                Then maybe I am just unlucky? My only two MSI boards (Mortars) did not get any noticeable QVL updates.

I really wanted to support G. Skill and was silently hoping they would maybe read this thread and reply in prompt manner handling my issues and concerns but they simply seem to not care...
                They do care, but need to know about it first

So just contact tech support directly to get a direct reply. It also helps to ask concrete questions instead of making a very general statement.

Don't supply your RAM to scalpers like Happy Home or TRIPPODO who are selling every RAM you have at a 65% markup over RRP in every online EU store.
                Oh well, that sounds rough. Prices have been steadily climbing during the last months for us too, but 65% over current EU prices seems pretty wild.

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
                  Oh well, that sounds rough. Prices have been steadily climbing during the last months for us too, but 65% over current EU prices seems pretty wild.
                  Such example. G. Skill 3600C14 kit.

Newegg:

Typical scalper Happy Home:

This is nearly every single G. Skill kit on Amazon.

Anyway I messaged G. Skill asking for further info on this QVL issue so will see what happens.

Comment

Well I mean I still have to care about the G. Skill QVL because if I do buy a kit and it's faulty, G. Skill won't accept the RMA for RAM that has not been tested with the motherboard. I read many reviews on Amazon about this and if it is true (which it likely is) then I'm either 1: forced to lie about the board I have or 2: order the RAM again from somewhere with a very generous return policy and give them the faulty RAM just hoping they don't log serial numbers... both preposterous but I would be forced into this due to G. Skill policy.

MSI have actually been pretty good in updating QVL on a 2-3 month basis and are currently the best. Latest RAM QVL update for MSI boards was last week of April/first week of May 2021. Gigabyte is December 2020 and Asus is November 2020. They are 5 months more recent than any other board manufacturer.

I really wanted to support G. Skill and was silently hoping they would maybe read this thread and reply in prompt manner handling my issues and concerns but they simply seem to not care. Luckily for me in the April 2021 QVL of my MSI B550 Unify they have a good dual rank 3600C14 kit I can choose from TeamGroup.

Also G. Skill if you do read this please sort your supply chain out. If you don't live in the US it's almost impossible to buy G. Skill at non scalped prices. Don't supply your RAM to scalpers like Happy Home or TRIPPODO who are selling every RAM you have at a 65% markup over RRP in every online EU store. You don't seem to have supplied Amazon themselves (the only non scalped price) any high tier RAM in months. I actually had an order in for that 3600C16 32gb kit linked above since November 2020 and it was still not shipped out from Amazon after 7-8 months.

Anyway last I will say on the subject.
                    As long as the memory is in it's completely original physical condition, we can accept it for RMA. Whether your combination is on a QVL does not matter, our goal is to get your system running at full speed. If a combination is not listed, the memory kit's XMP/DOCP rated specifications should not be expected, however we are still interested in the maximum capability of your combination of hardware.

With regards to supply chain outside of the USA, we will look into that to see how it can be improved. Thank you for letting us. If you have any other concern or feedback, feel free to PM or email directly.

ustech@gskillusa.com
                    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-18-2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Such example. G. Skill 3600C14 kit.

Newegg:

Typical scalper Happy Home:

This is nearly every single G. Skill kit on Amazon.

Anyway I messaged G. Skill asking for further info on this QVL issue so will see what happens.
                      Regards from Greece, you do not seem to mention your country, but in Greece we get good pricing for G.SKILL products.
                      Just use this website for pricing comparisons and forget Amazon, this is worst than eBay.

https://www.e-shop.gr/

Comment

Working...
                      X