Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZ does not POST in 2x16GB mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZ does not POST in 2x16GB mode

I can't get a new set of Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZ sticks (DDR4 3200 CL14) to boot in dual channel mode on the i7 10700K stock and MSI MAG Torpedo Z90. Do you have suggestions on what could be happening?
    • Mobo manual prescribes using DIMM A2 + DIMM B2 as the starting slot for dual channel ( (second and fourth slot away from CPU)
    • Mobo will only POST with one stick in the furthest slot from the CPU (DIMM B2). In other cases, MSI EZ LED will blink and state there is a DRAM issue.
    • This applies to both XMP and SPD settings (2133 mhz). CMOS resets do not help.
    • I've tried manually putting voltage to 1,4v without results
    • I've tried manually putting frequency on 2133 mhz, timings much looser (18-18-18 etc) and voltage higher without results
    • I've tried turning the memory training settings on/off without result
    • Both sticks individually can boot in the furthest slot from the CPU, it's only the dual channel combo which does not work
    • I've discovered putting the sticks in DIMM B1 and DIMM B2 together does somehow work - but this is not dual channel -mobo also warns for this- and running 3D Mark I can see the performance hit versus comparable builds
    The compatibility list on the G.SKILL site says that this set should be compatible with this specific motherboard so I'm a bit puzzled what's going on.

If both modules work in channel B, but both channel A DIMM slots are dead, you probably have an issue with either your CPU or MB. I would definitely check the socket for bent pins and both for any visible damage.

An over-tightened CPU cooler can sometimes also lead to issues with the memory slots. Reducing the mounting pressure should restore their functionality in that case.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thank you. In the meantime I've tried the 2x8GB variant of this set as well to ensure that it's not a 32GB issue. With the F4-320014D-16GTZ I have the same issue. I did notice this RAM is not on the MSI qualified vendor list even though G.SKILL lists it as compatible - so I'm still a a bit concerned about that. Given your advice however, I will:

1. check the CPU cooler pressure (Dark Rock Pro 4)
      2. check the socket for bent pins (did check before as well, did not see any issues)
      3. check the CPU (it looks good to me both heatspreader and bottom - not sure how to recognize damage)

Comment

Compatibility affects the XMP mostly. At default settings there shouldn't be any issues with either module in A2.

Obvious damages apart from bent socket pins would be things like PCB scratches (MB) and burned pads (CPU). A defective CPU often will not show any visible damage, though. So just because you don't notice anything, doesn't mean it has to be ok.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
        X