My 3600 4 chip 32 gig isn't reaching the right frequency on x470 board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 3600 4 chip 32 gig isn't reaching the right frequency on x470 board

So I waited a few years to finally fill the empty slots on my Asus Rog Crossfire VII Hero (Wi-Fi) x470 board with my 2700x & I bought the G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18Q-32GTZN kit. I check QVL's and noticed that while it wasn't on the list for 2000 series for this board it was on the list for this board for 3000 series CPUs' I figured that "Hey it's at least compatible with the board so maybe it'll work!" but I cannot get beyond 3333 to post to the OS & even that's unstable after awhile with bluescreens so I bumped the voltage up to 1.35.

I looked through a lot of threads in these forums to get some ideas of what to do. I tested every chip individually & they all posted @3600 on their own so nothing is wrong with any of the sticks. I tried upping the voltage to 1.4 because I don't wanna go any further but the farthest I got was 3466 & that was unstable with more blue screens. I didn't wanna pump any more voltage than what I've read was the max so I tried to be as cautious as possible because I'm not too familiar with overclocking memory.

Now I'm hoping there might be another way to get this to work with my 2700x but I don't wanna go out & drop $$ on a 3000 series chip unless I know almost for certain that it'll resolve the issue. Anyone have any ideas of what I could try next or did I hit a dead end?
    Last edited by hazerhd; 09-17-2020, 03:43 PM.

CPU Upgrade alone possibly won't do, if you can already hit 3600 with two modules in A2 and B2. While 3600 with four modules is more taxing for the memory controller in the CPU, another possible culprit are the secondary memory slots of your MB (A1 & B1) that might max out below 3600 and at 3333/3466 in this case. That might also be the reason why the G.SKILL QVL for that kit only lists the X570 motherboards with a Ryzen 3000 CPU as compatible and why no 4x8GB kits of higher frequency are listed as compatible for your MB in the RAM configurator.

https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1...18Q-32GTZN-Qvl
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for the response!

Huh, I didn't look at the G.Skill QVL but I did look at the board's listings. 3000 series list has the set listed but not the Ryzen +. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO.../HelpDesk_QVL/

Now the lowest number I can hit for stability is 3200 with the D.O.C.P on. Before this kit I had a 16gb @3200 G.Skill so yeah it may be a limitation of the board. Kinda strange how they market things for these boards. It says it's max is 3600 https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pecifications/

Then again, from what I've seen Ryzen is just strange with ram in general.

Comment

Working...
      X