F4-3600C16D-32GVKC won't boot on Asus Z370-A Prime at DDR4-3600 settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4-3600C16D-32GVKC won't boot on Asus Z370-A Prime at DDR4-3600 settings

As stated in the title, my system will not boot (indicated DRAM error) when I have XMP enabled and speed set for DDR4-3600. The system resets to 2133 and I have been able to force 3200 with no apparent issues. However if I change it to 3600, it always fails to boot. From what I can tell in BIOS, the correct timings are applied. BIOS is updated to latest version (2401) and no other RAM modules are present. Is the RAM defective, or is there another setting that needs to be adjusted?

I'm not sure if this is important, but in BIOS the XMP profile says 3603, rather than 3600.

Asus Prime Z370-A motherboard, 2401 bios
    Intel i5-8600K
    2x16gb G.Skill F4-3600C16-16GVKC
    PNY GTX1080

Please advise how to proceed.

Are you using slots A2 B2? Test each module in A2 to see if both have same maximum result.

Load motherboard defaults, enable XMP Profile, then run these tests. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

That is correct, I was using A2 and B2 slots.

I just tested each individual module in slot A2. I had the same result. They each will boot at 3200, but not at 3600. I loaded default settings in BIOS, then only changed the XMP profile option. Attached are the reported changes that result in BIOS.

Comment

@GSkill it has now been one week since your last reply. What are the next steps?

Comment

Does enabling the XMP really not change any of the secondary timings (like it should)?

You might have to adjust these yourself then, if the boards fails to properly train them. ASUS SPD information in the UEFI should show you the values you need to set.

In addition to that it might help manually configuring VCCSA and VCCIO, since there often is quite a bit of overshoot with them, which can result in POST and stability issues. For a start I'd try 1.2V for both and then test if slightly lowering/raising them improves the situation.
          Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

emissary42 are you part of g.skill tech support, or just another user? I tried to follow your advice - it looks like the timings are all set appropriately, at least the ones I can find. Pictures attached.

Comment

Just a fellow user

Some ASUS motherboards, like my ROG models, have the option to enable either the original XMP like it was programmed (XMP-II) and an ASUS optimized one (XMP-I). With XMP-I the motherboard ignores the timings beyond the primaries and tries to train the rest by itself. Most of the time that produces decent results and in other cases it can lead to POST/stability issues. If you can select between two profiles, try the other one.

If you can't get anywhere with manual adjusted voltages, test the XMP with a reduced frequency of 3533/3466. Maybe the frequency is just too much for your system.
              Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
              X