New Memory Suggestion Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Memory Suggestion Please

I have an MSI Z270-A-PRO motherboard with 16GB onboard memory (four total slots, two are occupied) and wanted to upgrade to 32MB. After install, I had several BSODs and compared the purchased memory to what I have on the board and did find differences, but at the time of purchase I didn't think they were enough to cause a problem. I have an Intel i7-7700K. Here are the differences in the memory:

Installed:
    G.Skill Ripjaws F4-2400C17S-8GDBVR / PC4-19200 / 8GBx1 / DDR4-2400 / 17-17-17-39 / 1.20V
    Purchased:
    G.Skill Ripjaws F4-2400C17D-16GVR / PC4-19200 / 8GBx2 / DDR4-2400 / 17-17-17-39 / 1.20V

I thought the timing and the speed were the only critical parts of matching memory, but clearly I'm wrong. I'd read that the initial install could result in a BSOD after the first boot, but they continued. I ran memtest86 and received about 1700 errors before I stopped it, so clearly something was wrong. The sticks are now de-installed and my system is running normally with its original 16GB.

Can someone help me by answering a few questions please? I googled these questions quite a bit yesterday but found no answers.

1. What's the difference between 8GDBVR and 16GVR?
    2. What's the difference between 8GBx1 and 8GBx2? When all four sticks were installed, the system showed 32GB of memory, so I know each stick contained 8GB. I'm curious what the 'x2' indicates.
    3. What type of matching memory can I purchase to give me 32GB? I looked and I don't see an exact match on newegg.

I truly appreciate any help and guidance you can provide.

Working...
X