Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripjaws V (F4-3466C16D-16GVK) locking up after 10 minutes on fresh install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws V (F4-3466C16D-16GVK) locking up after 10 minutes on fresh install.

I've been trying to sort this out for 3 months, and I'm at my wit's end with this.

Here's my parts list:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P2pJBZ

I've confirmed my G.Skill Ripjaws V ram is on the QVL, so this should be working right out of the box, but it's not.

So far, I've tried auto settings as well as manually setting the voltage and timings. I've also tried with a different processor and I'm having the same results. What am I missing?

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Have you tried enabling DOCP? Try each module to see if each can work properly. With DOCP enabled, you can also manually lower DRAM Frequency to see what value can boot. The results can provide more insight to what may be causing a limitation. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I haven't updated to the latest bios yet because I'm worried the RAM instability might corrupt it somehow (unless that's not a thing).

I've tried with and without DOCP enabled, and I've manually set the FCLK to 1/2 the RAM speed for 3466 and 3200 (1733 and 1600). 3466 crashes pretty quickly, but I've squeezed a bit more time going to 2T and gear down. 3200 oddly lasted longer than 2133. All with 1.35v

Inevitably, any time the memory is pushed even remotely, the system locks up. I ran Prime95 on the setting that focuses on CPU, and it was ok. The moment I ran large (memory) it crashed. MemTest64 also crashes within 3 minutes no matter what I do.

Comment

Well, I finally figured it out, and it's nothing close to what I thought it'd be.

All that testing and the culprit was... Windows. Specifically, I bought Windows 10 when it was released, and the flash drive it came on is too old to support this generation of Ryzen. The computer wouldn't stay on long enough to even download the update, so I never got into a version that did.

I ended up creating my own installation drive with the Media Creation tool and reinstalling windows again. Works like a charm now.

Comment

Working...
        X