New build, AMD Gigabyte X570 Elite, AMD 3700X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build, AMD Gigabyte X570 Elite, AMD 3700X

I am in the process of putting together a parts list for a new build and need some advice on memory. This is my first build since an AMD 975 several years ago (2010 I think), which had become very slow with advances in the Linux OS and software I run.
    Motherboard choice is Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE, but not dead set on it, I've just had good experience with Gigabyte for the last 4 builds. Processor will be 3700X.
    I want to run 2X16 modules for video and photo editing and I see that the F4-3200C14D-32GTZ** kit is on the QVL list, which is fine, but in research, I see that a 3600 CL16 kit would provide the same performance at a lower cost. Trouble being, G.Skill is not on the QVL for that spec. although some of their other X570 boards do. Do you think it is worth a gamble or should I just spring for the CL14 kit?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Just be sure that you buy the memory that has the "X" at the end as this is special for the AMD Ryzen CPU or you will have a delay in your boot prior to booting up in BIOS.

Comment

Lower latency ram is always a better choice for AMD or any system.. That is probably Samsung B-die, D/E Die. But if it was me I would shell out a little more money and get the better-binned ram.

I'm not sure what TechyMike is talking about. NEO is their latest and it is also made for AMD. There is no "X" in their SKU numbers as well. All my G.Skill works fine with AMD. (Except the RGB controlling. It is complete garbage.)There is no delay in the boot or getting into the bios. I will wait for you to clarify what you mean.

Originally posted by TechyMike View Post
      Just be sure that you buy the memory that has the "X" at the end as this is special for the AMD Ryzen CPU or you will have a delay in your boot prior to booting up in BIOS.

Comment

Was talking about the G.SKILL Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX Trident Z RGB as far as the "x" goes.
        And the delay issue, is on an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi MB. Tried running 1 stick at a time, different GPU, I don't have any other DDR4 to try yet. The best way to explain the problem is on initial power up, everything turns on but have a black screen with a cursor for about 4 to 5 seconds then boots up normal just fine after that. This same memory would not allow an ASUS X470 Prime to boot up at all until the CMOS was reset. Actually stayed in the same black screen and cursor. Have not figured out the problem but thinking that it is the memory kit as mine is
        G.SKILL Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR Trident Z RGB
        Last edited by TechyMike; 11-22-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Fair enough. I will read up on it and see what is going on. As a side note. My NEO ram gives an 8D error on boot at random times. And it is made for AMD and their own software doesn't work on the ram as well. But that is another story.

Edit: I tested with my NEO ram with 1 stick and it all appears normal when booting. No delays or anyting like that. Perhaps with the NEO branding they fixed all of that.
          Last edited by KILLER_K; 11-22-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Well when the new 32 GB sticks (2x16) F4-3600C18D-32GTZN and gets swapped out should know a little more. Could have spent more on a better latency but with the discounted price I went with this one. And the review had someone who has already used this in an MSI X570 MB.

Comment

Yeah, that is probably going to be HYNIX ICs on that one. Long as it works and you are happy. Then that is all that matters. It is droping pretty fast for Black Friday coming up.

Well when the new 32 GB sticks (2x16) F4-3600C18D-32GTZN and gets swapped out should know a little more. Could have spent more on a better latency but with the discounted price I went with this one. And the review had someone who has already used this in an MSI X570 MB.

Comment

Hello, The new Trident Z NEO DDR4 3600 arrived today. No more delay on booting up.So problem solved. Nice thing is that now I can add another two sticks of 16 each to have 64 GB instead of 4 sticks at 32 GB. Now I wonder if G-Skill will give me an RMA for the defective memory. It's still only 3 months from brand new out of the box and still under warranty.

Comment

Hello, The new Trident Z NEO DDR4 3600 arrived today. No more delay on booting up.So problem solved. Nice thing is that now I can add another two sticks of 16 each to have 64 GB instead of 4 sticks at 32 GB. Now I wonder if G-Skill will give me an RMA for the defective memory. It's still only 3 months from brand new out of the box and still under warranty.
                  RMA request is here:

http://www.gskill.com/rma

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Decided to build another system for my son and used the Trident Z RGB, works perfectly in his MSI gaming pro computer with the Ryzen 2700.

Comment

Working...
                      X