Flare X cold boot issue with XMP enabled Ryzen +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flare X cold boot issue with XMP enabled Ryzen +

I recently upgraded from 4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2600 Mhz ( ran 2999Mhz) to a pair of Flare X 3200 ( B-die ) 14CL .
    With everything defaulted in bios , then selecting XMP , the RAM struggles to boot every time at cold boot . Once warmed up they are fine , though this is enough of a bugbear to seek for help .
    I've tried the following but no difference :
    raising RAM voltage up to 1.45
    Raising SOC up to 1.3 V
    Raised DRAM termination VPP and VTT + 0.1V

The cold boot is solved by loosening to CL 16 timings but this defeats the purpose of the upgrade . These Ram Modules are advertised as 'Ryzen Ready' yet the XMP profile is failing , which many people swear by ( Many reviews just state the sticks run fine with XMP )

Could it be that I have bad modules ?.

Specs are:
    Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming K7
    2700 Ryzen
    Flare X 3200 14CL
    EVGA 1080 Ti
    RM850X PSU

Are both modules correctly setup in slot A2 and B2?

Can you raise DRAM Boot voltage instead of actual DRAM voltage in UEFI? Then try 1.4V for that and you can probably lower DRAM voltage back to 1.35V.

Most Zen+ CPUs don't like super high vSOC and need only between 1.00V and 1.05V for DDR4-3200. If your MB fails to properly configure it at AUTO, try lower values instead of going over 1.15V.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Ive seated modules in the correct positions , I have tried both Slot 1 & 2 together and 3 & 4 , as per the manual .
      My motherboard does not have 'boot' voltage options . I have tried at 1.35 V RAM also . I will try a SOC voltage of 1.05 .

However I have defaulted every setting , apart from XMP and still the Flare X struggles with cold boot . Do you have to manually select RAM voltage when using XMP , or does it get applied when leaving auto ?

Comment

Oh, Gigabyte uses a very different numbering scheme for the DIMM slots. So then from the manual DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 is correct.

When you enable the XMP, the MB should set memory frequency, timings and Vdimm according to what is programmed in the SPD. So normally you would not have to manually adjust Vdimm to 1.35V when using XMP.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post

When you enable the XMP, the MB should set memory frequency, timings and Vdimm according to what is programmed in the SPD. So normally you would not have to manually adjust Vdimm to 1.35V when using XMP.
          And thats what I have been trying , everything else on auto , still there are cold boot resets . I am not sure if its because the 'Auto' is potentially giving an incorrect voltage , or if the memory is just a bad pair ? I always historically have given SOC voltage 1.1 , so I will try dialling it down to see if it makes a difference .

Comment

I am usually quite good at problem solving but , this is going beyond my comprehension .
            I was initially convinced that this was a motherboard issue ; so I posted a thread there ( see link)

As per the thread in the link , I have tried every possible configuration , raising/lowering voltages . The only way to get this error to disappear is to run the CPU at fixed multiplier of x32 ( 3200Mhz) , or increase the timings on the RAM - though neither of these options is giving me more performance , in fact I am loosing almost 25% performance - just to get the ram to run at the advertised speed/timings.

I had also tried just one ram stick but the same problem occurs with each module - which further thickens the mystery .

To make matters worse ; I installed this ram in a different RYZEN system and guess what ? Exactly the same problem , the CPU speed will reset to 3200 Mhz on every cold boot .

The only commonality here is the RAM , which is very hard to believe but , I will be sending it back to G.skill via RMA .
            Upgraded RAM ( to B-die) for Ryzen+ (2700) , worse stability

Comment

Working...
            X