Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws V or Trident Z X99 compatibility

Hey folks

Noticed a few using X99 boards with the new ram sticks. Just wanted to ask if anyone is using 64gb (16x4) sticks on a Asus X99-Pro/USB 3.1 board with a 5960x? I am particularly interested in the F4-3200C14Q-64GVK or the F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ.

Cheers

Ask ASUS to see if they included the RAM update in their April revision. You will definitely need it for the RAM and CPU.

Comment

I didn't know that was possible - I will contact them directly.

Comment

I used a 128GB kit on my Sabertooth X99. It was neither on ASUS QVL or GSKILL QVL but it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by xkm121 View Post
          I used a 128GB kit on my Sabertooth X99. It was neither on ASUS QVL or GSKILL QVL but it worked!
          What CPU? So windows recognises the 128GB? Do you have a link to the 128gb kit?

I may get another 64gb kit later on - so would be interested.

Comment

Right here:
            http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...8942#post78942

Comment

Nice work! I ended up ordering the Trident so will see if it works or not (may have to change to manual timings). But at least I know your pack works! No probs booting up initially?

Comment

Clear the CMOS and it will boot straight up. No problem at all.

Comment

Is there any benefit to sticking to Ripjaws 4 vs 5?

I'm putting together a new build on broadwell-e (using an asus strix x99 mobo), I'm waiting for the parts and the only thing left to get is ram which I can get locally. The thing is, there are Ripjaws 5 with not only good timings, but they are cheaper, but they do say dual channel. The quad channel specific Ripjaw 4 are slightly slower and cost a third more.

Will the 5's work?

Comment

Originally posted by Swirlser View Post
                    Is there any benefit to sticking to Ripjaws 4 vs 5?

I'm putting together a new build on broadwell-e (using an asus strix x99 mobo), I'm waiting for the parts and the only thing left to get is ram which I can get locally. The thing is, there are Ripjaws 5 with not only good timings, but they are cheaper, but they do say dual channel. The quad channel specific Ripjaw 4 are slightly slower and cost a third more.

Will the 5's work?
                    Nice. I might stick with the current combo for a while before spending any more on a 6950 and get another 64gb set.

5's you just have to try for yourself depending on set you get (not all have recorded compatibility). 4's at least majority have recorded compatibility with X99 and I'm sure they are priced that way since X99 should have a greater demand for the time being (Haswell-E).

CPU determines if ram will run in dual or quad. E.g. my dual channel kit meant for 100 series(??) CPU is working in quad channel as expected:

Attached Files

Comment

I made a mistake - I have the Trident Z lol
                      Last edited by jacquiQ7; 06-07-2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I actually thought it was a combination of the chipset and module count which determines channel.

While it's nice to see it working on an x99, still something seems wrong. If these kits are faster and cheaper, why not market them to work on either? G.Skills own website under Ripjaw5 and trident Z only state Z170. So I'm still as confused, because that very kit you are running with (it's a 2x16gb?), is still cheaper than the Ripjaw 4s!!

Comment

One product to suit multiple devices, and higher prices for less popular devices....Not sure if I can say anything on this forum but if you are wanting the latest and greatest the price difference should hardly matter though.

Price for me was the reason I opted to try the Tridents - cheaper than 'lower' range - but theoretically same difference. And Tridentz are supposedly higher binned so I should have better luck with stability at rated speeds if I went manual settings.... safest option is to stick with highest frequency with compatible ram as provided by motherboard manufacturer. Or just have a crack like we did. Mind you I've had 2 reboots due to memory in past few weeks but I was playing around with manual settings. For the moment it's auto and I've yet to play with newer BIOS.

No I've got a 4x16GB kit. CPU will see and deal with memory as dual or quad as it sees fit (assuming of course you are using 2 sticks for dual and 4 sticks for quad for obvious reasons). It would run in dual (I'm assuming) if I left it at 2 sticks. I'd be more concerned about size and then speed.

Comment

It's not that the cost shouldn't matter if you want the latest and greatest, it's that the latest and greatest (which has both higher clocks AND better timings) is cheaper that I don't get!

I was also confused by the fact that the speed and timings you had shown were matched to a 2x module kit on the site I was planning on buying from. Didn't realise when I made the post that a 4x kit was available (just not there). I found it on amazon and checked it was on the QVL for the x99 strix, which it is, so I've ordered

Comment

Vendors set pricing. Some times it is possible to get a better item at a cheaper price. In fact, it happens quite often so you can find some really good deals.

Comment

Working...
                              X